Strip them of the Status Card

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Strip them of the Status Card

Postby blueberry » Feb 5th, 2009, 5:26 pm

sobrohusfat wrote:
What i've always got a chuckle about are those folks who have tapped into the legal percentage of native blood required to get their status for the sole purpose of being elligible for the benefits offered. Folks who have never been active in the 'first nation" community and who are "white" by every other standard but who figure they can cash in on the "genetic lottory" in the system.

My father being a Metis would probably allow me to pursue that route as well but it just doesn't seem right since i don't consider myself a part of that community or culture.

There's NO legal percentage of blood to be considered status indian in Canada. It is CANADA (and NOT first nations groups) that made up the rules for who is an indian and who is not. By the way, it is CANADA that made up the rules for taxation exemptions. Both these lovely rules are entrenched within the Indian Act of Canada. And hey, guess what? First Nations groups don't like the indian act either. Weird, eh?

Metis, Inuit and Status Indians all are considered "aboriginal people" in Canada; indians (these are not metis) who are registered on CAnada's list are exempt from purchasing items on reserve. The law states that the purchase must be for their personal use and benefit.

Serves the guy right for trying to take advantage.
blueberry
Fledgling

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Corneliousrooster » Feb 5th, 2009, 7:18 pm

Glacier wrote:
Corneliousrooster wrote:If that is the case - why does the government not just give each family of 3 - One million dollars this year as a nest egg grant , affording each family to be able to afford housing and amenities well above the National Average - and Call it DONE!

Because most the money is lost in bureaucracy, and the money that actually does make it to the reservations is often scooped up by a corrupt Chief.

Federal Budget is $10,000,000,000 (10 Billion) per year for Indian and Northern Affairs. There are about 1 million First Nation, Inuit, and Metis living in Canada. Half of those live on reservations. Do the math.

Also, there are more natives in the care of the government today than there was at the height of the residential school system.

Our Government is just plain sad!

Seriously - write a Million dollar cheque to each family and cut the cord - we would all be farther ahead in 2 years than we have been for the last 200.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 239 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 5th, 2009, 8:57 pm

Corneliousrooster wrote:Seriously - write a Million dollar cheque to each family and cut the cord - we would all be farther ahead in 2 years than we have been for the last 200.

That is pretty much the exact words of Preston Manning the days of the Reforrrrm Party.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 13205 posts

Postby BoB76 » Feb 5th, 2009, 10:21 pm

Corneliousrooster wrote:
Glacier wrote:
Corneliousrooster wrote:If that is the case - why does the government not just give each family of 3 - One million dollars this year as a nest egg grant , affording each family to be able to afford housing and amenities well above the National Average - and Call it DONE!

Because most the money is lost in bureaucracy, and the money that actually does make it to the reservations is often scooped up by a corrupt Chief.

Federal Budget is $10,000,000,000 (10 Billion) per year for Indian and Northern Affairs. There are about 1 million First Nation, Inuit, and Metis living in Canada. Half of those live on reservations. Do the math.

Also, there are more natives in the care of the government today than there was at the height of the residential school system.

Our Government is just plain sad!

Seriously - write a Million dollar cheque to each family and cut the cord - we would all be farther ahead in 2 years than we have been for the last 200.

How many guys would be out chasing Native Women around? Or women chasing rich native men? Either way the money would quickly be returned into the economy and likely help stimulate the economy.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Liked in: 121 posts

Postby kingsandman » Feb 5th, 2009, 10:24 pm

*removed - Jennylives
Model citizen......zero discipline.
kingsandman
Übergod

Liked in: 434 posts

Postby POlson » Feb 6th, 2009, 12:11 pm

Could someone who knows, answer this question please: Is the tax deduction supposed to be on ONLY band land shops? I did not realize that the card was valid everywhere. I don't think the Hot tub shop is on band land, or am I mistaken?
POlson

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby BoB76 » Feb 6th, 2009, 12:19 pm

POlson wrote:Could someone who knows, answer this question please: Is the tax deduction supposed to be on ONLY band land shops? I did not realize that the card was valid everywhere. I don't think the Hot tub shop is on band land, or am I mistaken?

It has to be delivered to Native land.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Postby POlson » Feb 6th, 2009, 12:40 pm

Interesting....
POlson

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Dayleen » Feb 10th, 2009, 8:42 pm

:ohmygod: status cards...don't even get me started.
Dayleen
Board Meister

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby blueberry » Feb 11th, 2009, 4:31 pm

okay.
blueberry
Fledgling

Liked in: 1 post

Postby BoB76 » Feb 11th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Dayleen wrote::ohmygod: status cards...don't even get me started.

Let's hear it Dayleen. What do you think of Status Cards?
BoB76
Guru

Postby Dayleen » Feb 11th, 2009, 8:33 pm

It's not the status cards, it's the fact that we have been paying out of the nose for generations for something that isn't our doing. If their ancestors sold out too cheap it's not my fault and i shouldn't have to be paying for any mistake or whatever you want to call it from MY hard earned money. My husbands parents lived during the war in Holland, when the Germans came and told them to get out..they lost everything...are they getting a paycheck every month or a huge lump sum every year tax free...no..they got nothing but work in a concentration camp. It's time our generation stopped paying for the mistakes of the past...let us all be one people...THE SAME..race, creed colour or gender shouldn't matter anymore in this day and age...enough is enough already.

Told ya...don't get me started ..LOL
Dayleen
Board Meister

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Captain Awesome » Feb 11th, 2009, 8:45 pm

Dayleen wrote:My husbands parents lived during the war in Holland, when the Germans came and told them to get out..they lost everything...are they getting a paycheck every month or a huge lump sum every year tax free...no..they got nothing but work in a concentration camp. It's time our generation stopped paying for the mistakes of the past...let us all be one people...THE SAME..race, creed colour or gender shouldn't matter anymore in this day and age...enough is enough already.

My thoughts exactly. Not like Germany is sending checks all over Europe. Japan doesn't send checks to China. China doesn't send checks to most of Russia, East Asia, or India. And UK doesn't send checks to India, or Latin America.

But Canada does. Hmmmmm....
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3124 posts

Postby zzontar » Feb 11th, 2009, 8:53 pm

If I'm not mistaken, didn't different tribes also battle eachother for land? If so, does any tribe or band pay another for land taken, if not, why not?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Liked in: 1099 posts

Postby Jd01 » Feb 12th, 2009, 7:27 am

jennylives wrote:
CaptainAwesome wrote:My views are a bit more radical - get rid of the privileges, status cards, status rights, bonuses, reservations, etc. all together. Nobody needs it. Are we all supposed to be equal?

I am totally with you on that one. One set of rules/standards/laws etc. for all people in our country please.

I'd agree...but if you want everyone to be equal, you should first treat them as equals. If we were equal, it should then become legal to sterilize Caucasian men/woman without their consent, as they did Native woman not to long ago.

It should be legal then to bulldoze a mostly Caucasian community down...because the gov't gave gas companies rights to drill in that area.

You have people alive today who were forced into a residential school where one woman had to watch her best friend get buried alive...and other students had to do the digging. Or the girl who drowned and the nun yelled at everyone to just stay put and watch. Because it was their fault for going into the water right after eating.

I could go on, but there's no point. There are still people who are ignorant, and more ignorant then racist usually...that want to remain ignorant.

I am not saying every Caucasian in Canada is to blame for what happens to Native people. I know I had nothing to do with residential schools, or the *bleep* law's put into place. That is between the Gov't and Native people.

Just like Status cards are between the Gov't and the Native people...I call it fair..or on the way to fairness.
Jd
Jd01

Liked in: 0 post

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns