Strip them of the Status Card

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Strip them of the Status Card

Postby BoB76 » Feb 12th, 2009, 10:02 am

Jd01 wrote:
jennylives wrote:
CaptainAwesome wrote:My views are a bit more radical - get rid of the privileges, status cards, status rights, bonuses, reservations, etc. all together. Nobody needs it. Are we all supposed to be equal?

I am totally with you on that one. One set of rules/standards/laws etc. for all people in our country please.

I'd agree...but if you want everyone to be equal, you should first treat them as equals. If we were equal, it should then become legal to sterilize Caucasian men/woman without their consent, as they did Native woman not to long ago. I think some people should be sterilized!! Not mentioning anyone's parents!!

It should be legal then to bulldoze a mostly Caucasian community down...because the gov't gave gas companies rights to drill in that area. All kinds of land are taken from people when they don't want to sell!!

You have people alive today who were forced into a residential school where one woman had to watch her best friend get buried alive...and other students had to do the digging. Or the girl who drowned and the nun yelled at everyone to just stay put and watch. Because it was their fault for going into the water right after eating.

I could go on, but there's no point. There are still people who are ignorant, and more ignorant then racist usually...that want to remain ignorant.

I am not saying every Caucasian in Canada is to blame for what happens to Native people. I know I had nothing to do with residential schools, or the *bleep* law's put into place. That is between the Gov't and Native people.

Just like Status cards are between the Gov't and the Native people...I call it fair..or on the way to fairness.

Do you drink out of a bag??? Because you must have been drunk when you made this post!! In what generation did all the above happen? It is old news and the natives should get over it. Like Dayleen said about the Germans etc. Everyone needs to forgive and forget and by giving Natives all these extra rights isn't really fair to the rest of society.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Liked in: 121 posts

Postby Dayleen » Feb 12th, 2009, 10:13 am

I don't think anyone is saying that wrongs didn't happen (incredible wrongs) you could have almost any race, group or ethnic people tell you horrible haunting stories of what happened to them. If someone did me wrong, it's my right to sue...as it is everyone else's. In my opinion, holding an entire group of people liable for something that happened hundreds of years ago, people who weren't even alive yet for the wrongs of their ancestors is ridiculous. Again, how many Jewish, Polish, Russian, Dutch etc walked into a gas chamber, we're gunned down, raped, tortured and starved to death....tell me...how many Germans do you know that are handing over a potion of their paycheck EVERY month for what happened NOT very long ago (in all our parents life time)...none...that's how many are paying for those wrongs. I'm not given a free ride, i work very hard for everything i have and 40% of it goes to taxes. This native handout isn't from the government...it's from the over worked calloused hand of every single TAX paying person in this country. The government is nothing more than a big black hole that feeds off the working man, sucking his last penny from his hand so they can give it away freely or lose it stupidly on things like fast ferries and about a zillion other stupid things. I'm not so ignorant as to think there will ever be total equality...there never will, as long as there are people or groups of people that think they are better than others or deserve more than others. I hope that in the not so distant future the hatreds of the past can diminish and we can truly move on as a people that are all here together trying to make the best of what we have and not standing with our hand out screaming "you owe me". In my opinion. we have paid our debt...a thousand fold..it's time to move on, heal and grow. If the native people are to be the proud nation they keep talking about, then stand on your own two feet and hold your heads high. There are a lot of things to be proud of, stop dwelling on the past. Because like the economy...the gravy train bubble will eventually burst too.
Dayleen
Board Meister

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby BoB76 » Feb 12th, 2009, 10:31 am

Yes. I agree that the Natives being the tough people that they supposedly are should be able to suck it up and move on with their lives. Either that or fight back!! But they won't because they like white mans money on their lands. Look at all the revenue they get!! Ideally they have a perfect setup so that's why they don't complain about it.

The rest of society should be getting tired of it though.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Postby Captain Awesome » Feb 12th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Jd01 wrote:I am not saying every Caucasian in Canada is to blame for what happens to Native people. I know I had nothing to do with residential schools, or the *bleep* law's put into place. That is between the Gov't and Native people.

Just like Status cards are between the Gov't and the Native people...I call it fair..or on the way to fairness.

I do understand it's up to the gov't to decide these polices and feel sad for years to come. But if it was up to me the most logical thing would be to forget the differences and get on with our lives. Just like every other nation did.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3124 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 12th, 2009, 9:10 pm

CaptainAwesome wrote:I do understand it's up to the gov't to decide these polices and feel sad for years to come. But if it was up to me the most logical thing would be to forget the differences and get on with our lives. Just like every other nation did.

It is just not a Canadian value to do so. It ain't going to happen (barring a huge Conservative majority). Even then I highly doubt it would happen as the media and Special Interest Groups raise stink everyone time a politician suggests doing something like you suggest. The offending person usually has to back down or risk being called a racist and a bigot.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 13205 posts

Postby michelen » Feb 12th, 2009, 10:49 pm

My family are status card holders and it is not as much of a benefit as the general public may think. Unless you purchase an item on reserve land you still have to pay the tax . Medications on the goverment list are outdated and less effective. Our family in particular actually suffers from having a status card. Our son has cerebral palsy and requires special treatments. Because we are status Indians our son does not get to benefit from Provincial funding that all children ie non-native, new immigrants etc qualify for which covers all of the expensive treatments such as orthopedic shoes, afos, botox. It is up to the federal government to pay for his treatments and they do not recognise most treatments. Status cards are also not accepted by most dentists and doctors in Kelowna because the federal government is slow to pay. Our doctors have to put out alot of effort just to be paid for the basics. Sure we save a few dollars at walmart in westbank once in awhile when we shop but in the long run being federally funded and not provincially eligible is more costly. Alot of the free housing given on reserve land are inadequate and are infact health hazards and the black mold kills hundreds of elders and children every year. Funding for college and university is at a bare minium and you have to compete with other people on your reserve for it, it is not handed out to everyone wanting to pursue post secondary education. Sure to the outside public may think status indians may have it easier but it is a myth perpubatrated by uneducated and unaware people.
Last edited by michelen on Feb 16th, 2009, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
michelen

Liked in: 0 post

Postby BoB76 » Feb 13th, 2009, 1:34 am

michelen wrote:My family are status card holders and it is not as much of a benefit as the general public may think. Unless you purchase an item on reserve land you still have to pay the tax . Medications on the goverment list are outdated and less effective. Our family in particular actually suffers from having a status card. Our son has cerebral palsy and requires special treatments. Because we are status Indians our son does not get to benefit from Provincial funding that all children ie non-native, new immigrants etc qualify for which covers all of the expensive treatments such as orthopedic shoes, afos, botox. It is up to the federal government to pay for his treatments and they do not recognise most treatments. Status cards are also not accepted by most dentists and doctors in Kelowna because the federal government is slow to pay. Our doctors have to put out alot of effort just to be paid for the basics. Sure we save a few dollars at walmart in westbank once in awhile when we shop but in the long run being federally funded and not provincially eligible is more costly. I think in a way status cards are actually insulting because its like everyone is numbered and legally status indians are still wards of the government and this is not inpowering in the least bit. If I would of been aware of all of the hinderances and inequality I would of not registered my children. Alot of the free housing given on reserve land are inadequate and are infact health hazards and the black mold kills hundreds of elders and children every year. Funding for college and university is at a bare minium and you have to compete with other people on your reserve for it, it is not handed out to everyone wanting to pursue post secondary education. Sure to the outside public may think status indians may have it easier but it is a myth perpubatrated by uneducated and unaware people.

So what would you like to see done? Do you feel like you should be treated like a Canadian and be part of the rest of the system. Or do you feel the Government still owes your family?
BoB76
Guru

Postby Catz » Feb 13th, 2009, 5:25 am

I know people who are 'friends' with people that have a status card, and 'use' them for those little items like gas for vehicle and smokes and booze. Is it ok to pass it around?
Just wondering.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 759 posts

Postby michelen » Feb 13th, 2009, 7:46 am

Reparations need to be made definetly what they should be im not too sure yet because if we settle land claims the money goes to chief and council to spend/ invest wisely and theres no way to say if these people are going to make the right decesions. If your an off reserve native you probably will not benefit at all except for whatever payment the government deceides to give each member. Off reserve natives do not qualify for any on reserve programs even though we are counted in the numbers for annual funding we do not benefit at all. I think money right now should be invested in empowerment, counselling for the past issues, rehabilitation and education. Once everyone (or the majority) are given the right tools then we can settle landclaims and move on to be equal canadians. But giving "unhealthy people" (sorry but it is true) a one time lump some doesnt do any good for anyone in Canada it just continues the cycle of impovishment for all first nations people. Not to say all of us would make the wrong deceisions there of alot of us who do the best we can and are quite sucessful but we all have family members or friends living in poverty or with addiction and because of this I do not think it is the right time to settle for a monetary amount. I cannot wait for the day for first nations people to be seen as equals " however without the right tools this will not happen. Its up to the government to listen to our national chiefs and start implementing their ideas.
Last edited by michelen on Feb 13th, 2009, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michelen

Postby Captain Awesome » Feb 13th, 2009, 10:03 am

michelen wrote:I cannot wait for the day to be an "equal" however without the right tools this will not happen.

So you don't think you're equal right now?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3124 posts

Postby michelen » Feb 13th, 2009, 6:21 pm

Im an equal in the way I pay taxes like everyone else on every paycheck and on our house and on everything I purchase unless it is on band land. I pay into Blue Cross to get dental and medical and most medications that arnt offered by status coverage. I contribute to society by being a church member, volunteer, and valuable employee, and as a consumer. But when it comes to accessing provincial programs I am not eligible because I am a ward of the federal government and do not qualify for provincial programs. Therefore I have to go through the federal government that gives less benefits and has more requirements.
michelen

Postby BoB76 » Feb 13th, 2009, 9:24 pm

michelen wrote:Im an equal in the way I pay taxes like everyone else on every paycheck and on our house and on everything I purchase unless it is on band land. I pay into Blue Cross to get dental and medical and most medications that arnt offered by status coverage. I contribute to society by being a church member, volunteer, and valuable employee, and as a consumer. But when it comes to accessing provincial programs I am not eligible because I am a ward of the federal government and do not qualify for provincial programs. Therefore I have to go through the federal government that gives less benefits and has more requirements.

So if you were stripped of your card it wouldn't matter I guess.
BoB76
Guru

Postby michelen » Feb 13th, 2009, 11:30 pm

For those choosing to live off reserve it wouldnt really matter , it would have the most impact on those living and working on reserve. I would have less red tape to go through to get funding for my sons medical expenses. We do use it as its our right to use it however we would still live and continue to thrive without it it is not a great source to fianancial means as many would lead people to believe. I think that the sucessful bands here in the Okanagan are making a great use of the money they save to use in their entreprenual endeavors and Im hoping they continue to do so.. It makes me proud to see their successes! I wish this was the case in more First Nations communities! But as an individual family living here in kelowna there are not many benefits.
Last edited by michelen on Feb 13th, 2009, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michelen

Postby BoB76 » Feb 13th, 2009, 11:36 pm

michelen wrote:For those choosing to live off reserve it wouldnt really matter , it would have the most impact on those living and working on reserve.

If you don't live or work on the reserve why don't you turn it back in? If you want to be equals then you should have that opportunity to do so. I think many people will see that as a big step and pay more respect to Indians instead of thinking they are always a tax burden.
BoB76
Guru

Postby michelen » Feb 13th, 2009, 11:51 pm

all the status card is is a proof of registration once you register you cant just deregister(LOL) I can just imagine the clerk at the goverment offices face, you can choose not to use it but you cant just say take it back and say i dont want to be one anymore (LMAO) believe me in moments of frustration with my sons illness and all the red tape i had to go through with the federal government I have wished this u can however choose not to register your children I however did not want to deny my children any extras they might be entitled to but ten years ago I was unaware to the actual facts that it might make it actually harder on them

Well I am off to other things however I hope I have given people out there with open minds a better view of the whole situation from our families perspective
michelen

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns