Strip them of the Status Card

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Strip them of the Status Card

Postby BoB76 » Feb 14th, 2009, 8:15 am

You should be able to apply for a Canadian Citizenship just like any other immigrant because you clearly aren't classified as a Canadian.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Liked in: 121 posts

Postby steven lloyd » Feb 14th, 2009, 9:05 am

michelen wrote: I hope I have given people out there with open minds a better view of the whole situation from our families perspective

Thanks michelen. It seems you’ve given people with no mind a “view” of something as well.

BoB76 wrote:You should be able to apply for a Canadian Citizenship just like any other immigrant because you clearly aren't classified as a Canadian.

Ah Bob, still haven’t given up trying to be both.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3307 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Feb 14th, 2009, 10:01 am

michelen wrote:all the status card is is a proof of registration once you register you cant just deregister(LOL) I can just imagine the clerk at the goverment offices face, you can choose not to use it but you cant just say take it back and say i dont want to be one anymore (lol) believe me in moments of frustration with my sons illness and all the red tape i had to go through with the federal government I have wished this u can however choose not to register your children I however did not want to deny my children any extras they might be entitled to but ten years ago I was unaware to the actual facts that it might make it actually harder on them

Well I am off to other things however I hope I have given people out there with open minds a better view of the whole situation from our families perspective

Wow Michelen, six years ago we found out that there is a possibility for my mom to be registered; she chose not to look into it. At the time, I didn't think I was eligible, but have recently found out that on my biological father's side, there is enough that I would be, and tossed the idea around a bit. I am glad now, that none of us chose registration. Thanks for sharing your experience.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4811 posts

Postby blueberry » Feb 15th, 2009, 2:57 pm

I feel for the people who arent considered INdians and have to live with this *bleep* and the stereotypes that some like to promote.

For the record - INdians are NOT little ethnic groups within Canada's mosaic. They are aboriginal peoples of Canada and have rights under our Canadian Constitution which are supposed to be protected :ohmygod: Yes. Rights. Not only that, but their rights as indigenous peoples are supposed to be protected by international laws. The great humanitarian country of Canada regularly comes under fire internationally for not doing enough to protect the rights of its indigenous people. So much for the status (errrr...i mean GOLD) card theory.

A Status Card is proof that a person is an Indian (under CAnada's rules) and is affiliated with a specific band. IF some people don't want to be indians, so be it - there are thousands and thousands of people who it means something to and have been denied by Canada - many of these people already live in the communities and are connected and proud of their heritage, despite the ugly spin that some of you have put on it.

I wonder if people choose not to register becuase they don't want to be a drain on society, or they don't want to be included in the stereotype that being an Indian is all about the status card - same thing isn't it?

Sad....
blueberry
Fledgling

Liked in: 1 post

Postby kgcayenne » Feb 15th, 2009, 4:17 pm

blueberry wrote:I wonder if people choose not to register becuase they don't want to be a drain on society, or they don't want to be included in the stereotype that being an Indian is all about the status card - same thing isn't it?

Sad....

Sad? I can't speak for my Mom, but...
Is it sad to have been carrying on with life for 60 some-odd years for my mom, and myself 35 years without being registered?

Is it sad to not find it necessary to change just because some family member came forward six years ago and said "Oh, by the way..."?

Is it sad to avoid being opportunistic BECAUSE the preceding 35-60 years have yielded a lifestyle that doesn't require taking advantage of any additional benefits, thus leaving them in the pot for others who DO need it more than we?

Why would we feel opportunistic? Well, we'd feel that way because for all these years we knew nothing of our Native ancestry, and lack a knowledge of that very heritage. How sleazy it would have been to go off and get registered whilst knowing no more about Native heritage than what is in the news and taught in the public school system... a measly snippet at best.

So now that I read Michelen's experience exposing that the benefits aren't as rosy as once perceived, it solidifies my resolve to stay as I am, unregistered. We are members of the human race and none other.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4811 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 15th, 2009, 4:21 pm

michelen wrote:all the status card is is a proof of registration once you register you cant just deregister(LOL) I can just imagine the clerk at the goverment offices face, you can choose not to use it but you cant just say take it back and say i dont want to be one anymore (lol) believe me in moments of frustration with my sons illness and all the red tape i had to go through with the federal government I have wished this u can however choose not to register your children I however did not want to deny my children any extras they might be entitled to but ten years ago I was unaware to the actual facts that it might make it actually harder on them

Well I am off to other things however I hope I have given people out there with open minds a better view of the whole situation from our families perspective

So very good points. The status and reservation systems seem be an excellent way of keeping native people down (if that is the government's goal). I have spent quite a bit of time of reserves, and the conditions not something I would want to subject my worst enemy to. 90% unemployment, major alcoholism problems, suicides, high rates of diabetes, and a low life expectancy.

Status does have a few benefits like free education, which shouldn't be taken away from First Nation people. Besides, that the system needs to be changed if we truly do want first nation people do live up to their full potential.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 13205 posts

Postby michelen » Feb 15th, 2009, 11:56 pm

We are very proud of being First Nations do not get me wrong and we raise our children to be proud and to be advocates. We would Never Ever think of applying for Canadian Citenship we are not immigrants we are Canadas First Citizens. We do not need to apply for canadian citenship because it is already our birthright and we already have it without applying like everyother person born in Canada. I love how Blueberry made a reference to the status card being mistaken for a gold card thats exactly what I was thinking. And thats the whole reason why I wanted to speak out. As for the person who does not want to register because of what i said if you are proud of having First Nations blood then I do not think you need a card to prove it , but you need to get yourself informed of all the rights and then make the best decision for your family , since you are of mixed ancestry you might want to look into getting a Metis Card versus a Status Card. This decision is a personal one! I didnt write in to make people not want to access rights that might be theirs, I just wanted to let people Know that it is not the gravy train some uneducated and misled people are trying to make it out to be and once you register it is for life you do not get to pick and choose. For us it has made things harder that does not mean it will be like that for everyone. There is funding for education but it is not unlimited and like I said not everyone qualifies and the amount is carefully budgeted. As for reserves and aboriginal communities they are all different everywhere just because we choose not to live in one does not mean its the wrong decision for other people the aboriginal communities and reserves that are prospering are doing so because their members are dedicated to doing so and my hopes for the future are for our people to all do this because until we are selfsufficient it will be harder to heal from the past the more we help ourselves with the tools we are getting the easier it is to let go of the past. We just need the government to start providing more tools like the assembly of first nations is asking for so that will make it easier for the majority of First Nations Communities and reserves to also prosper and be selfsufficient.
Last edited by michelen on Feb 17th, 2009, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michelen

Liked in: 0 post

Postby michelen » Feb 16th, 2009, 12:02 am

Also KCCayenne you can also look into being a non status indian this is where you are claiming aboriginal heritage but are refusing any rights. If you are happy the way you are and do not see the need to pursue anything that is excellent , but maybe this has inspired you into looking into your heritage and being an advocate! Thank you for speaking out!
michelen

Postby blueberry » Feb 16th, 2009, 2:06 pm

kccayenne wrote:
blueberry wrote:I wonder if people choose not to register becuase they don't want to be a drain on society, or they don't want to be included in the stereotype that being an Indian is all about the status card - same thing isn't it?

Sad....

Sad? I can't speak for my Mom, but...
Is it sad to have been carrying on with life for 60 some-odd years for my mom, and myself 35 years without being registered?

Is it sad to not find it necessary to change just because some family member came forward six years ago and said "Oh, by the way..."?

Is it sad to avoid being opportunistic BECAUSE the preceding 35-60 years have yielded a lifestyle that doesn't require taking advantage of any additional benefits, thus leaving them in the pot for others who DO need it more than we?

Why would we feel opportunistic? Well, we'd feel that way because for all these years we knew nothing of our Native ancestry, and lack a knowledge of that very heritage. How sleazy it would have been to go off and get registered whilst knowing no more about Native heritage than what is in the news and taught in the public school system... a measly snippet at best.

So now that I read Michelen's experience exposing that the benefits aren't as rosy as once perceived, it solidifies my resolve to stay as I am, unregistered. We are members of the human race and none other.

You've missed my point while making it.

I DO think its sad that people think being Indian is about the benefits package and that they would weigh the value of that in determining whether or not to identify.

You can go ahead and be all you can be as a "member of the human race and no other". Yay, you. For the sake of those who might have some dignity and pride in their aboriginal heritage, maybe people could stop trying to erode that pride by continually linking it to eligibility to some supposed government hand outs and financial need.

Just a thought - could it be that some of these benefits are actually linked to aboriginal rights??

Yeah...strip them of their status cards. That'll be easy, not to mention fair.
blueberry
Fledgling

Liked in: 1 post

Postby steven lloyd » Feb 16th, 2009, 3:14 pm

michelen wrote: We are very proud of being First Nations. We would Never Ever think of applying for Canadian Citenship we are not immigrants we are Canadas First Citizens.

:134:
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3307 posts

Postby NAB » Feb 16th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Assuming a passport is a document that certifies/confirms Canadian Citizenship, how does someone who is "status" travel internationally without one?

Just curious...

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 207 posts

Postby michelen » Feb 17th, 2009, 8:16 pm

well u use to be able to travel to the United States with a status card (dual citenship) however I do not know if that is still possible since nine eleven, i guess I kind of messed up I meant in the way it was implied as a immigrant applying for citizenship to live in Canada, everyone needs a passport to travel internationally however it is proof of canadian citizenship your not actually applying to be a citizen of Canada.
michelen

Postby Glacier » Feb 17th, 2009, 9:00 pm

michelen wrote:well u use to be able to travel to the United States with a status card (dual citenship) however I do not know if that is still possible since nine eleven

You used to be able to cross the border without going through customs on some the reservations that butt up against the border, like south of Keremeos . Not sure if that is still the case.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 13205 posts

Postby Captain Awesome » Feb 17th, 2009, 9:04 pm

I still think they should scrap the whole system. Instead of deviding everybody into Firsts and Seconds, let's just all be Canadians. Forget the past and move on.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3124 posts

Postby WhatThe » Mar 5th, 2009, 2:42 pm

The status and reservation systems seem be an excellent way of keeping native people down (if that is the government's goal). I have spent quite a bit of time of reserves, and the conditions not something I would want to subject my worst enemy to. 90% unemployment, major alcoholism problems, suicides, high rates of diabetes, and a low life expectancy.

Isn't this really the problem? We have segregated aboriginals on these reserves under the control of chiefs and councils that seem to be just as greedy as whiteman. Having said that there are others that have done really well, I'm thinking of the Osoyoos Indian band, wineries, campgrounds, historical museums. It looks like a great setup.
WhatThe

Liked in: 12 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns