Gas prices

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Gas prices

Post by gman313 »

alanjh595 wrote:It's all the NDP and horgan's fault. they are causing this.

Capture.JPG

it will be when it's $2.50/L
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Or maybe they did us a favor, as we all gradually get motivated to switch to electric transportation(cheaper and supposedly better for environment).
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Or maybe they did us a favor, as we all gradually get motivated to switch to electric transportation(cheaper and supposedly better for environment).

OMG!!!!!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Or maybe they did us a favor, as we all gradually get motivated to switch to electric transportation(cheaper and supposedly better for environment).

seems a no brainer to me electricity prices will ----SKY ROCKET-- as the years go on and more electric cars hit the road
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Based on litres of gasoline (only, this does not include diesel) sold in BC (stats Canada), if fossil fuel was gone.
Federal & Provincial tax revenues would take 2.5+/- billion hit (just in BC). Guess were that shortfall would be made up in... more then likely electric bills. Oh yes don't forget tax revenues from the oil industry.
Once you start adding up the numbers, Federal & Provincial tax revenues from oil. From the moment it leaves the ground to the moment its burnt up in vehicles (other uses), it adds up to hell of a lot revenue... that would need to be found elsewhere.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

The province will do anything to stop oil from being shipped, but is the largest exporter of coal? Hmm...me thinks this has more to do than the environment...

Also, electric cars are not up to par with gas powered engines as of yet (try going from Vancouver to Kelowna). I've driven multiple electric vehicles and although they are great for 70% of your driving (around town, to work, grocery), it becomes more difficult as you move away from city centers.

Tractors, farm equipment, large mining equipment still all needs oil to run as does forestry, food transportation, ships, etc.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

BUMP

Today, Gas prices in West Bank, Summerland, Penticton, Okanagan Falls 115.9/L

We spotted ONE gas station here in Kelowna at 123.9/L, I believe that was the Chevron coming over the bridge, to our right.

The rest were 124.9/L

And to those who want to come on and talk about why, I'm not talking about why, I'm just sayin as it is right now, okay?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Look up what it takes to make just one electric car battery .....

Go on , I DARE you ....It's all a BIG lie ..

Fossil fuels aren't that bad IF you use them efficiently .

I'll help you

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable ... cars-batte
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

I would truly like to hear the explanation from gas stations in the West Kelowna, Kelowna area for 119.9 per litre, when the price of the same gas in Olivier was 104.9 and Penticton 99.9. Even at .10 cents a litre difference, one tanker load of 40,000 litres would represent a fair difference in cash to the station selling the gas to motorists. [40,000 X .10]. This never gets satisfactorily explained does it...... The discrepency in prices between Oliver, Penticton and West Kelowna/Kelowna were today!!!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re:Gas prices

Post by Glacier »

NAB wrote:Tips...

A branded retail gasoline outlet that is managing its business well ((and the marketing division of the company they represent ("head office")) monitors daily, weekly, and monthly volumes of gasoline sold. These generally are the pricing leaders (the rest just follow). There are some basic indicators as to what consumers think about their current service, products, discount programs, and pricing. The main ones being whether volumes of gas sold are climbing, historically static, or declining. A second indicator is the average size of the individual sales.

In a marketing area...... (seasonal volume issues aside)...

-If prices are static, that generally indicates consumers are OK with current pricing. This will lead to 'testing' higher prices to see if the local consumer can bear more.

-If volumes are climbing, that generally indicates they have not reached the highest price the local market will bear and there is room for more increases.

-If volumes are dropping (seasonally adjusted), it indicates they have reached or exceeded their customer's pricing tolerance level and they are going elsewhere in search of cheaper gas or discounts, or cutting back (being more efficient) in their consumption of gasoline.

-If 'small sales' are becoming the order of the day (eg: a lot of partial tank purchases - say $10.00 or $20.00) they know that they have gone way too far and are likely to back off a bit until the indicators straighten out.

Consumers do rule, although only on a mass basis over a long period of time. Things like local gasouts, picketing, griping, or boycotts may lead a few consumers to feel better, but will have absolutely no effect on prices at all, other than perhaps hurt the retail operator in a single instance or through a particular brand in the local area, even if it could be organized. So save your breath and stress and put your personal energy into things that will really work. Reduce the amount you spend per month on gasoline in Kelowna by 20 - 40% through whatever works for you (even if it means buying outside town whenever the opportunity arises) and, in a time of rising prices, keep your tank full through small purchases. If you can do this yourself, and perhaps organize enough people to do likewise, even commence a public campaign to do so, you will see results in terms of lower monthly fuel costs very quickly.

Forget about the world price of crude oil, exchange rates, and related factors, including taxes. They operate at levels far beyond the influence of local consumers so it is a mugs game and just leads to frustration. It really has very little to do with anything significant at the local level related to local gas market pricing other than establishing the overall trend through the longer term. The price your local dealers pay for the gasoline in their retail outlet tanks is fairly uniform comparatively most of the time, not only locally but across the country. Volume is the over-riding driver.

Another factor is competition. If an area is undersupplied, especially if distance to competitive prices is prohibitive, and retail margins as a result are high and comfortable for retailers in an area, there is unlikely to be much in the way of local competition. One way to promote competition is to move your fuel purchases around seeking the lowest net price for gas wherever you find it, even if you are not approaching empty. Most of the time that is based on opportunity rather than your gas guage signalling potential disaster at the side of the road. Brand loyalty on the part of consumers is part of the marketing weaponry. Outlets will compete to get your business back if at all possible.

Cheers
Nabcom.

We are having some good competition in Vernon. Currently 112.9.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Re:Gas prices

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:We are having some good competition in Vernon. Currently 112.9.

Same in Kelowna. I keep waiting for the hammer to drop.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Re:Gas prices

Post by Queen K »

Bsuds wrote:
Glacier wrote:We are having some good competition in Vernon. Currently 112.9.

Same in Kelowna. I keep waiting for the hammer to drop.

Went from 105.9 in Lower Mission, and 104.9 near Orchard Park to 114.9 overnight.

NO collusion going on here. No, GordonH, I do not give a grey rat's tail about the damn supposed rates, delivery or whatever, it's all hooey. They dropped prices during the covid crisis and are sensing people are not willing to sit around their livingrooms and call it "living" anymore.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”