Gas prices

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Gas prices

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:I drive same amount if price is .99 or 1.99 per litre.

That is likely true, but studies show that some people do cut their emissions when prices go up. I'm in the some group. Despite NDP claims to the contrary, the carbon tax has cut emissions. Basic science/economics has proven this. With higher prices people are less likely to drive, get bigger trucks, and/or speed.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I drive same amount if price is .99 or 1.99 per litre.

Glacier wrote:That is likely true, but studies show that some people do cut their emissions when prices go up. I'm in the some group. Despite NDP claims to the contrary, the carbon tax has cut emissions. Basic science/economics has proven this. With higher prices people are less likely to drive, get bigger trucks, and/or speed.

I look at this way, my work routine has not changed neither has my activities. So my driving habits do not change due to price at the pump.
What I did do a number of years ago is downsize my vehicle, which in turn I drive the same but do not use as much fuel. So yes my emissions have gone down, but still get drive the same amount = a win... win & savings to boot.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Glacier wrote:That is likely true, but studies show that some people do cut their emissions when prices go up. I'm in the some group. Despite NDP claims to the contrary, the carbon tax has cut emissions. Basic science/economics has proven this. With higher prices people are less likely to drive, get bigger trucks, and/or speed.

OH Glacier!!!! I Never thought about it that way.
Yes I suppose that's true, lots of people downsized their vehicles or changed how they did stuff so that they'd go through less fuel.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Exactly. I have one ton van for my business. Thirsty bugger, even empty. When your monthly fuel invoice comes in at $500/month plus you get very conscious of the amount of time you're driving around empty or with a bag from Home Hardware on the seat beside you. I picked up a little jelly bean beater to use when I didn't need the van's capacity and shaved enough of the fuel bill to cover the monthly insurance increase plus put a c-note back in my pocket.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

The last time I checked all of my goods at the grocery store were delivered there by truck not horse and buggy. Fuel is needed for those trucks and if the cost of transporting goes up so does the price of the goods. It does not matter whether I drive to the store or walk, the store does not care. If the cost of goods goes up people stop buying as much and this will weaken an economy.
Economics 101, when the price of energy increases the effect on an economy is reduced growth or even zero growth. Extreme increases will cause a recession. More happens than just a slightly less filled wallet after a fill up at a service station, though this is the most obvious near term effect.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

""Lower Mainland drivers pay second-highest tax on gas in North America

Like a lot of us, Gordie Panovic of Surrey didn’t know exactly how much of his gas bill goes to taxes.

But when he arrived at the Super Save gas station on Kingsway in Burnaby on Thursday morning, Jordan Bateman of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation was there — with a posse of media in tow — to give him the bad news that Lower Mainland drivers pay the second-highest gas tax in North America.

The 49 cents of taxes per litre of gas on Panovic’s fill-up is one cent less per litre than in Montreal, which recently increased its taxes.

But even more painfully, the taxes are why gas is 34 cents cheaper per litre in Washington state than in the Lower Mainland and it’s one of the reasons, Bateman believes, that Canadians are making so many trips south of the border.

“We are all over-stretched with all these taxes, never mind the gas tax,” said Panovic.

Bateman made the sudden media exposure a little less painful for Panovic by refunding him the tax, $13.23 on the 27 litres of fuel he purchased.

Although his gasoline prices were a few days behind the current near-record high being experienced by Greater Vancouver drivers, Bateman’s point was that it was the tax that made Canadian gas so much more expensive than the Washington state product.

Changing gallons into litres and U.S. currency into Canadian, unleaded gas in Blaine, Wash., goes for 95 cents a litre compared to 98.9 in the Lower Mainland, 96.9 in Victoria and about 94.9 cents in the rest of B.C, said Bateman.

But the gas tax in Blaine is only 15 cents a litre, compared to 49 cents in the Lower Mainland, 41 cents in Victoria and 37 cents in places like Kamloops.

Bateman said there were 15.4 million trips last year by Canadians into Whatcom County — the most since 1997 — and that total doesn’t count Point Roberts or any of the crossings east of Abbotsford.

Filling up with 50 litres of gas in Blaine could save a driver $19 compared to buying the fuel in Canada.

“Gas taxes are literally driving you south of the border,” said Bateman, who called the situation “a huge drain on the economy” because it’s usually more than gas that is purchased.

Steve Alexander, who lives in Ladner, is among those Canadians going to the U.S. for gas.

Point Roberts is just a short drive away from his Delta home.

“The amount of money we save, $20, we use to buy groceries,” said Alexander, 64, who pointed out the price of chicken is half of what it is in Canada.

Bateman and the CTF are focusing on fighting the GST/HST portion of gas tax, which is a tax on tax.

“We think it’s a winnable issue,” he said. “It was part of the Conservative party platform at one point [to axe taxes on taxes].”

In fact, an MP named Stephen Harper attacked the government on the issue in 2005. Of course, he was in the Opposition back then, not the Prime Minister’s office.

http://www.theprovince.com/business/Low ... story.html""
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I noticed today, as I drove past stations posting 147.9 for gasoline, that diesel hasn't changed much - I think. It was more expensive than gasoline about 3 weelks ago and now is much cheaper.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Since Castanet search won't let me find threads newer than 2007, I'm stuck putting this info here.

Current rack prices in Canada...

rackprices.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

Glacier wrote:Since Castanet search won't let me find threads newer than 2007

I'm re-indexing the entire forums right now and it should be done in a few hours. You'll be able to do a full search again after that.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Massive 30 cent/l jump in the pump price over the weekend! Up to 137.9C/l right now in Vernon.
- Douglas Murray
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Thanks NDProtesters.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Capture.JPG
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:Massive 30 cent/l jump in the pump price over the weekend! Up to 137.9C/l right now in Vernon.

Interesting:
Rack price + taxes (including GST) = $ (this only works on first litre since GST is %)
.836 + .3717 = $1.2347 difference .1443
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It's all the NDP and horgan's fault. they are causing this.

Capture.JPG
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Social Concerns”