Gas prices

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Gas prices

Post by kibbs »

If you want to reduce the price of gas use less gas .Stop takin the Super Duty shopping.Your takin up the whole parkin lot.
Peace be with you.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

It's $1.13 in Winfield.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

What the bloody heck is going on here....

It was 109.9 or 108.9 two weeks ago, no?

Then jumped 10 cents overnight to 118.9 and 119.9!!

Now it just jumped another 10 cents overnight to 128.9!

That's 20 cents per litre... convert that if we were american that's 75 cents a gallon!

I think there'd be some serious uproar down there if their gas jumped 75 cents a gallon in 3 weeks, no?
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

GoStumpy wrote:What the bloody heck is going on here....

It was 109.9 or 108.9 two weeks ago, no?

Then jumped 10 cents overnight to 118.9 and 119.9!!

Now it just jumped another 10 cents overnight to 128.9!

That's 20 cents per litre... convert that if we were american that's 75 cents a gallon!

I think there'd be some serious uproar down there if their gas jumped 75 cents a gallon in 3 weeks, no?

Actually its worse than that. Many gas stations had reduced their prices this morning from 118.9 to 116.9 which i thought was great until i noticed that Shell had theirs at 125.9 so by mid afternoon everyone seemed to have jumped back up to 128.9.
How the hell can they drop 2 cents at 9am and raise it back up 12 cents by afternoon?
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

dodgerdodge wrote:How the hell can they drop 2 cents at 9am and raise it back up 12 cents by afternoon?

Because they can. Who will stop buying gas in protest ?
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I work in warehousing and distribution... I cannot just stop delivering products to my customers, so sorry, I'm not gonna stop.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GoStumpy wrote:I work in warehousing and distribution... I cannot just stop delivering products to my customers, so sorry, I'm not gonna stop.

Make em come and pick it up! :127:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

GoStumpy wrote:I work in warehousing and distribution... I cannot just stop delivering products to my customers, so sorry, I'm not gonna stop.

My point exactly. No one will stop.That's why they can do whatever they want.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Family Day long weekend for Alberta.

Gotta grab the cash from those that have it.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:
Because they can. Who will stop buying gas in protest ?

Well people will vote with their cars if they get a chance. Tonight we drove to the mall and the Esso on corner of Harvey/Spall still showed 116.9 whilst the Chevron was at 128.9. There was a big line up at all pumps as people scrambled to get cheaper gas. As we came home less than 2 hours later Esso was at 128.9.

I don't object to a rise if its fair and just but to drop 2 cents in morning then raise it 12 in the afternoon for no reason whatsoever is taking the *bleep*. What happened in the world during those few hours?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:My point exactly. No one will stop.That's why they can do whatever they want.

That's not true. If gas goes back up to the 1.40 range, I'll probably start taking the bus again. But don't take my word for it; read the scientific data.

Studies show that the price-elasticity of demand for gasoline is not zero. Instead, the short term number turns out to be -0.26. That is, a 10% hike in the price of gasoline lowers quantity demanded by 2.6%.

For the long term, the price elasticity of demand is -0.58, so a 10% rise in gas prices will decrease the demand for gasoline by almost 6% a year later.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I paid $1.00/litre for gas this week in Vernon! :nyah:

Fineprint: The pump price was listed at 1.269, but I had one of those Super Store coupons (earned when I spent $100 in the store), entitling me to save 10 cents/l (max $10), and since I used PC Mastercard to pay, I received an additional 10 cents/l off. Add in the almost $8 in Superbucks, and voila! A buck a litre! So instead of paying $129 for my gas, I paid just over $100.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Glacier wrote:I paid $1.00/litre for gas this week in Vernon! :nyah:
Fineprint: The pump price was listed at 1.269, but I had one of those Super Store coupons (earned when I spent $100 in the store), entitling me to save 10 cents/l (max $10), and since I used PC Mastercard to pay, I received an additional 10 cents/l off. Add in the almost $8 in Superbucks, and voila! A buck a litre! So instead of paying $129 for my gas, I paid just over $100.

$1.00/L here in Alberta.

Fineprint: (there is no fine print. It's just $1.00/L).
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

Just paid .844 with my Safeway discount in Lynden Wa.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

$1.39 in Victoria today.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.

Return to “Social Concerns”