Cashless society... you in?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Cashless society... you in?

Post by Queen K »

I like Donald G, stop picking on him. I'm the one who's never sent a text, remember?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:I like Donald G, stop picking on him. I'm the one who's never sent a text, remember?

That would be because there is a limit to how many characters you can send in 1 message! :D
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Queenie and Donald use a teletype.
And a chargex.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Bman wrote:Queenie and Donald use a teletype.
And a chargex.

They're both quite elderly, they probably both remember their first horseless carriage ride.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hey! ^^ That was between us!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

I remember both of those things.
AND
payphones......@ $.10 a call.
When a DC 8 was the biggest airplane and we were allowed to smoke on them.
Coke was 16oz. for $ .10
When a screw was used to join 2 pieces of wood together.
I know what a "Rumble seat" is and we had to call "Dibbs" to get to sit there.

I also remember when parachuting was dangerous and sex was safe.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Okay, I see Average Joe has created a thread about the war on cash in Asia.

It won't just be Asia, I assure you. It's coming here too.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69941
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Nov 18th, 2016, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic post removed.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I hope cash dies. Haven't used it in years outside of occasional coffee purchase with change.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Long live cash!

Having a little piece of plastic represent your material wealth is part of the problem we have with over-spending ... I remember the joke when I was younger about "as long as I have cheques I have money" ...

When we disconnect ourselves from actual money/cash then we start to lose the real value of it ...

Not requiring cash is another convenience that will get us into bad habits that don't keep us fiscally healthy ... just like the car has made it convenient to neglect our physical health ...

Plus, do you really want someone knowing every little thing you buy? My wife would kill me if she knew how much I actually spend on doughnuts at Timmy's ...
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I can't say I truly am not against a cashless society but it does bother me. During our travels and when we owned our own business I have seen machines go down too many times to count. Nothing like telling your customers you can't serve them because the system is down "cash only". I can remember at least 5 times when I've stopped somewhere while traveling to get fuel and there were problems and if I hadn't had cash I would not have gotten any fuel for who knows how long. A big reason I always fill my tanks, especially in the motorhome at around 1/2 a tank, at least then a couple of hundred dollars will fill it. Totally cashless does seem a little much. Can you imagine if the systems went down for an extended period of time. Even today many people would be in a bind. Does cyber terrorism come to mind.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

A cashless society would be a lot easier to both tax and control. It removes the anonymity that using cash gives us. With a cashless system, all of our transactions would be traceable. It would give our banks and governments a massive amount of information. The possibilities of what they could do with that information is endless. You say you don't care about the information they are collecting? You have nothing to hide? Have you been binging on fast food lately? Looks like your health care premiums just went up. Like buying and selling stuff on kijiji? Bet the tax man will want a share of that too.

Do we really want to hand over more power and control to the financial sector and our government? Cash is power. You can buy, sell and store your wealth without depending on anyone else. What would happen in the event of a prolonged power outage or worse, cyber attack? Do we really think that our banks will have completely secure systems that won't get hacked? Electronic accounts can be bailed-in by governments. Cash cannot be bailed-in if it's held physically.

Giving up our physical currency is giving up freedom and control. A cashless system is just another way for the government to have maximum control our wealth and income.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It's not just fast food.
It's cigarettes.
Vaping materials.
Alcohol. How much? How often?
What your groceries are: high salty foods? Sugar laden stuff?
Track small farmers just trying to raise say, watermelons and selling some on the side.
Yard saler who buys to re-sell. BANG! Got ya!

Also, anyone judging people who od and say they should be charged for their care had better be prepared to have a very clean record of what they buy.

Tracking where you've been via your last transaction. I actually use my cc and debit when traveling to leave at least a trace of where I've been in case something happens. On purpose.

But cash rules for small purchases. Who the hell is afraid to carry even $50 bucks on them? Small stores are struggling and quite honestly, paying in cash helps them tremendously to keep expenses down. The "Man" dings them for every transaction otherwise, don't be mean, pay in cash for those smaller purchases.

Some day you may not get to.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Queen K wrote:Okay, I see Average Joe has created a thread about the war on cash in Asia.

It won't just be Asia, I assure you. It's coming here too.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69941

Absolutely! It will be a world currency eventually. 1 currency for all....

Seems to be starting in the 3rd world....we have been warned years ago this was coming. Just a matter of time...tick, tick, tick
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I'm sure it is coming but if anyone is scared of big brother they should probably be terrified of this. As Queen K stated they will be able to tell everywhere you have been and everything you have purchased. It will be the perfect way to trace someones steps. I know when I contact my bank(s) to tell them I am traveling again they want to know roughly where I am going so they can keep track. I have been cut off a few times and had to phone them to prove it was me. So even now they do have warnings, traces on your activity and if I was worried I certainly would not be confident that law enforcement could not get their hands on the information quite easily whether we like to think so or not.

As someone said earlier paying cash and saving money for the seller and buyer, business or private would end immediately because there would be a trace on every purchase, even a pack of gum. Paying cash for casual labour is gone down the drain. So many little things that many currently enjoy.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Social Concerns”