44511
48347

Frustrated with store meat

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Frustrated with store meat

Postby Organic Meat » Feb 16th, 2010, 9:44 pm

I am new here and would like to say that I am very wary of the meat products in our grocery stores and large chain supermarkets. Having a few friends who have worked at meat processing plants around Langley, I am very saddened to here about the cramped conditions, clubbing of runt poultry and killing methodologies used to obtain our pork and beef. I have a healthier alternative that has been cheaper and hormone free. I go bear hunting in May and deer hunting in September. I am always able to fill my freezer with several hundred pounds of quality free range meat each year. Getting my family's meat in this manner does not require the imprisonment of an animal for long periods of time in cramped quarters or the introducition of questionable chemicals. Responsible black bear or deer hunting results in an ethical harvesting action that takes less than 1 minute. An added benefit is the respect that the animal is shown by preserving the hide and/or skull. I have donated a bear skull to a high school for help with their biology program. I keep the antlers of my deer as well. I don't believe in wasting. I am very happy to share this way of carrying on our Canadian tradition of healthy self sustainability in BC. Be sure to get all your papers first and become familiar with what you are doing before you venture out into the back country.
Organic Meat
 
Posts: 2
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Feb 16th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby justmyopinion » Feb 17th, 2010, 10:19 am

Organic Meat wrote:I am new here and would like to say that I am very wary of the meat products in our grocery stores and large chain supermarkets. Having a few friends who have worked at meat processing plants around Langley, I am very saddened to here about the cramped conditions, clubbing of runt poultry and killing methodologies used to obtain our pork and beef. I have a healthier alternative that has been cheaper and hormone free. I go bear hunting in May and deer hunting in September. I am always able to fill my freezer with several hundred pounds of quality free range meat each year. Getting my family's meat in this manner does not require the imprisonment of an animal for long periods of time in cramped quarters or the introducition of questionable chemicals. Responsible black bear or deer hunting results in an ethical harvesting action that takes less than 1 minute. An added benefit is the respect that the animal is shown by preserving the hide and/or skull. I have donated a bear skull to a high school for help with their biology program. I keep the antlers of my deer as well. I don't believe in wasting. I am very happy to share this way of carrying on our Canadian tradition of healthy self sustainability in BC. Be sure to get all your papers first and become familiar with what you are doing before you venture out into the back country.


Good on ya! This is the true meaning of hunting and I am happy to read that none of the animal is wasted. I am often leary of store bought meat products too and it scares me the crap they probably put in it....I can not hunt, I would cry everytime I pulled the trigger, but I sure wish I could get beef etc that was not from a store....
User avatar
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3343
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Dec 2nd, 2009, 9:45 am

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby Advocate » Feb 17th, 2010, 10:35 am

I dunno. If it were up to me to kill it, I wouldn't eat meat.
I get my meat from the grocery store, where the animals are already dead, cleaned and packaged for my freezer.
I think I'm like most people that way.
Advocate
Guru
 
Posts: 6171
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: Sep 23rd, 2008, 8:54 am

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby UltraViolet » Feb 17th, 2010, 10:42 am

I guess if you like the taste of bear and deer meat.
I guess if you love killing our wildlife.
I guess if you feel a sense of accomplishment.
I guess if you feel your form of "the kill" is better.
I guess if you enjoy gutting and cutting your own meat.

Would you become a Bear and Deer hunter!

Personally, I'd rather just enjoy seeing them in nature.
User avatar
UltraViolet
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2223
Likes: 267 posts
Liked in: 438 posts
Joined: Jan 22nd, 2009, 7:52 pm
Location: City of Disorderly Conduct & Stupidity

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby Beagle001 » Feb 17th, 2010, 1:06 pm

UltraViolet wrote:I guess if you like the taste of bear and deer meat.
I guess if you love killing our wildlife.
I guess if you feel a sense of accomplishment.
I guess if you feel your form of "the kill" is better.
I guess if you enjoy gutting and cutting your own meat.



I would say this is me !
There really are alot of reasons to eat organic meat besides the obvious
health aspects !
Beagle001
 
Posts: 3
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Feb 16th, 2010, 12:33 pm

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby Rwede » Feb 17th, 2010, 2:21 pm

UltraViolet wrote:I guess if you like the taste of bear and deer meat.
I guess if you love killing our wildlife.
I guess if you feel a sense of accomplishment.
I guess if you feel your form of "the kill" is better.
I guess if you enjoy gutting and cutting your own meat.

Would you become a Bear and Deer hunter!

Personally, I'd rather just enjoy seeing them in nature.


So what you are saying is that you like to see deer starving and dying a slow, painful death. You like to see death by starvation happen to 70% of the deer population every time we have a bad winter. You like to see them crawling across the snow with distended rib cages and open sores. You like to see them weakened and suffering from disease as high populations and the resulting crowding on winter ranges causes. That's what you get with unhunted deer populations, every time.

Personally, I'd rather see vibrant, healthy animals. I'd rather see them flourish and be disease free. I hate seeing a starving animal. I hate seeing carnage on our highways as over-populated, starving deer look for nourishment along roadsides. I'd rather have meat in my freezer that isn't injected with chemicals.

I take responsibility for the food I eat, rather than hiring someone at a slaughterhouse to do it for me. My meat doesn't run the risk of being "over accepted fecal content" guidelines (YUCK!) like your store-bought meat does. I like it when my doctor tells me my cholesterol levels are so low that he thought the test was wrong until he remembered that I eat wild game. The exercise that I get when hunting also helps to keep me healthy and fit. My low cholesterol, physical fitness, and contribution to animal conservation save you loads of money as a taxpayer.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11594
Likes: 9248 posts
Liked in: 4906 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:49 am
Location: is everything!

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby rogerklym » Feb 17th, 2010, 3:04 pm

mmmm....meat!

If you are a responsible hunter, have at it...If you can find and afford organic meat, go for it. As for me I need to stick to my "fecal contaminated" store bought meat. I am still alive, and still healthy, and gosh darn it...it tastes good!
rogerklym
 
Posts: 30
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Jan 24th, 2010, 9:48 pm

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby Graham Adder » Feb 17th, 2010, 4:35 pm

I'm all for harvesting wild game. Unfortunately, I am not a good 'eye' for hunting. I learned several years ago that I am best off not going into the woods with a loaded weapon.
I come from a family of hunters, trappers and fishermen so have always had my 'acquired taste' in place.
I'm no longer surrounded by family (...for good reason!), so no longer have my 'membership privileges'. I do have a few friends in the area that hunt and fish, so they occasionally 'fix me up' with some good cuts, fillets and the occasional bird.
I have managed to seek and find sources for all of my meats now, so that my beef, pork and chicken all come from organic sources. I also get my eggs fresh and organically raised as well.
I still appreciate wild meat and know the benefits of it over beef or pork. I know how much better it tastes as well as how much better it does the human body, but I settle for my organic raised finds because I don't have solid, consistent sources for 'the good stuff'.
Any hunters out there with 'too much' of last year's wraps left in the freezer, feel free to call on me to help you take care of some of that for ya. ;)
User avatar
Graham Adder
Guru
 
Posts: 5476
Likes: 133 posts
Liked in: 896 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 8:51 am

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby Queen K » Feb 17th, 2010, 4:50 pm

I grew up with a White Tailed Buck hanging to drain from the backyard clothes dryer post.

We had lots of sausage, steaks etc. every year. Almost every year. One year mom told my brother to take out the garbage and lo and behold, he also hauled all the stuff in cardboard boxes out. All of that year's kill.

Damn it.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 48307
Likes: 8594 posts
Liked in: 9422 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby justmyopinion » Feb 18th, 2010, 8:11 am

Graham Adder wrote:I'm all for harvesting wild game. Unfortunately, I am not a good 'eye' for hunting. I learned several years ago that I am best off not going into the woods with a loaded weapon.
I come from a family of hunters, trappers and fishermen so have always had my 'acquired taste' in place.
I'm no longer surrounded by family (...for good reason!), so no longer have my 'membership privileges'. I do have a few friends in the area that hunt and fish, so they occasionally 'fix me up' with some good cuts, fillets and the occasional bird.
I have managed to seek and find sources for all of my meats now, so that my beef, pork and chicken all come from organic sources. I also get my eggs fresh and organically raised as well.
I still appreciate wild meat and know the benefits of it over beef or pork. I know how much better it tastes as well as how much better it does the human body, but I settle for my organic raised finds because I don't have solid, consistent sources for 'the good stuff'.
Any hunters out there with 'too much' of last year's wraps left in the freezer, feel free to call on me to help you take care of some of that for ya. ;)


I'd sure be interested in getting my hands on some organically grown beef and pork too!! Anyone know of somewhere in Vernon?
User avatar
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3343
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Dec 2nd, 2009, 9:45 am

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby zzontar » Feb 18th, 2010, 8:21 am

It's a good thing most people like store bought meat or there wouldn't be a thing in the woods left to hunt.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
 
Posts: 8868
Likes: 361 posts
Liked in: 1095 posts
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby BoB76 » Feb 18th, 2010, 8:47 am

Do you honestly think a deer gives a *bleep* if you "respect it by not wasting?" It's dead and probably pretty *bleep* off!! It's gonna come back and haunt you at some point! I eat chicken and beef because those two animals are kinda wimps.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
User avatar
BoB76
Guru
 
Posts: 7057
Likes: 57 posts
Liked in: 112 posts
Joined: Nov 26th, 2007, 6:01 pm

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby Bsuds » Feb 18th, 2010, 8:56 am

BoB76 wrote: I eat chicken and beef because those two animals are kinda wimps.


They say you are what you eat! :dyinglaughing:
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 40892
Likes: 7048 posts
Liked in: 8883 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby BoB76 » Feb 18th, 2010, 9:02 am

Bsuds wrote:
BoB76 wrote: I eat chicken and beef because those two animals are kinda wimps.


They say you are what you eat! :dyinglaughing:




You must eat cat?
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
User avatar
BoB76
Guru
 
Posts: 7057
Likes: 57 posts
Liked in: 112 posts
Joined: Nov 26th, 2007, 6:01 pm

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Postby Pookybear » Feb 18th, 2010, 9:08 am

justmyopinion wrote:
Graham Adder wrote:I'm all for harvesting wild game. Unfortunately, I am not a good 'eye' for hunting. I learned several years ago that I am best off not going into the woods with a loaded weapon.
I come from a family of hunters, trappers and fishermen so have always had my 'acquired taste' in place.
I'm no longer surrounded by family (...for good reason!), so no longer have my 'membership privileges'. I do have a few friends in the area that hunt and fish, so they occasionally 'fix me up' with some good cuts, fillets and the occasional bird.
I have managed to seek and find sources for all of my meats now, so that my beef, pork and chicken all come from organic sources. I also get my eggs fresh and organically raised as well.
I still appreciate wild meat and know the benefits of it over beef or pork. I know how much better it tastes as well as how much better it does the human body, but I settle for my organic raised finds because I don't have solid, consistent sources for 'the good stuff'.
Any hunters out there with 'too much' of last year's wraps left in the freezer, feel free to call on me to help you take care of some of that for ya. ;)


I'd sure be interested in getting my hands on some organically grown beef and pork too!! Anyone know of somewhere in Vernon?


I haven't tried any of these yet but here's some links.
http://www.blackcreekranch.com
http://www.bigbearranch.com
http://www.celistaspringsranch.com
http://www.valefarms.com
Pookybear
Übergod
 
Posts: 1063
Likes: 92 posts
Liked in: 51 posts
Joined: Jan 19th, 2006, 2:24 pm

Next

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron