A tipping point.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
BoB76
Guru

Re: A tipping point.

Post by BoB76 »

Queen K wrote:I would place a bet on one thing, most of the up coming generations won't have a racist leg to stand on.

My neice and nephew are Scottish/Russian/Philippino.
My second cousin is East Indian/German/Scottish
My neighbour is English/Peruvian

All are under the age of 18.

Keep this up and John Lennon's World is realized. Imagine.

My kids won't be allowed to go to Vancouver when they grow up. Especially the girl.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

zzontar wrote: You mentioned voting, now that blacks and women can vote, isn't that a good thing that shouldn't be changed?

Yes, but that was a result of change. Sorry though - gotta crash :sleepdeprived:
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

steven lloyd wrote:
zzontar wrote: You mentioned voting, now that blacks and women can vote, isn't that a good thing that shouldn't be changed?

Yes, but that was a result of change. Sorry though - gotta crash :sleepdeprived:

That's what I was talking about when I mentioned the "alligators" in our lives. Some things are a result of change, but have progressed to a point where change is unnecessary and not beneficial. The more we get things to that stage the less change is required.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:Keep this up and John Lennon's World is realized. Imagine.

What does having mixed ancestry have to do with Imagine? Lennon was envisioning a world without governments, religion, and possessions... and I don't see any of those three disappearing anytime soon.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

zzontar wrote: Some things are a result of change, but have progressed to a point where change is unnecessary and not beneficial. The more we get things to that stage the less change is required.

Sorry zzontar, but for better or worse one thing that will never change is that continued change is inevitable. The alternative is stagnation and rot and although there have been periods of social decay in human history ( eg. Roman Empire ? ) we eventually re-engage in the process of continual change. To look at this in a more positive frame of reference, since we will never be perfect there will always be room for improvement and although we will have our ups and downs ( some downs more painful and traumatic than others ) we will hopefully always strive to be better.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Glacier wrote:

What does having mixed ancestry have to do with Imagine? Lennon was envisioning a world without governments, religion, and possessions... and I don't see any of those three disappearing anytime soon.

Okay, I thought the song included getting rid of racism. Guess not.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

Queen K wrote:
Glacier wrote:

Sure it does. That is what music is.

Imagine all the people.........living life in peace.
Imagine all the people........sharing all the world

ALL the people, all races, colours and creeds.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:
Glacier wrote:

I still fail to understand how mixing races will get rid of racism? After all, a racist hates people who are different then themselves, so if all our skin colours match, he will simply shift his hate to one of the many other differences between himself and others.

The only way to stop being a racist is to have a change of heart.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier wrote: I still fail to understand how mixing races will get rid of racism? After all, a racist hates people who are different then themselves, so if all our skin colours match, he will simply shift his hate to one of the many other differences between himself and others.

So racism (1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race, 2 : racial prejudice or discrimination) would be eliminated (as there would no longer be any race differential) but prejudice would remain (examples could include ageism, sexism, etc.).
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Ya, you are right, Steven - I used the wrong term. If we could somehow get everyone to look the same, racism would disappear, but prejudice (which is just a wrong) would still be just a prevalent.

Lennon believed that if we could get rid of things causing people to have prejudices, then people love instead of hate. I was trying to point out that differences in skin colour don't cause people to have prejudices.
- Douglas Murray
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

old-bushman wrote:Being a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant in Canada, I already have fewer rights and priveledges than the "minorities" in Canada. I'm looking forward to being recognized as a minority so I can be treated as an "equal" again.

Rule Brittania!

Me too!
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier wrote: I was trying to point out that differences in skin colour don't cause people to have prejudices.

That's right. It's just an excuse to use.
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

I was watching a program (I can't remember which one) where the discussion was about Muslims, the Quran, and the jihad. The guest was a Muslim religious leader who had immigrated to Canada. The thing I remember most was him saying " We don't need these radicals who disgrace the religion, we will rule the Western World without any bloodshed." Asked how...he replied" we have moved into the most important countries and while their populations are going down, our population is growing rapidly. It may take a few generations yet, but the time will come when we are the majority culture and religion everywhere." :200:

So the thought that Canada's laws could change for the worse, allowing things and forcing customs upon us that we think are totally wrong is not that radical an idea. :runforlife:
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Elektrik_Sky wrote:Asked how...he replied" we have moved into the most important countries and while their populations are going down, our population is growing rapidly. It may take a few generations yet, but the time will come when we are the majority culture and religion everywhere."

He is right. Now, I doubt it was a preliminary set up plan, that's just laws of evolution.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Queen K wrote:It amazes me how far in advance Margaret Atwood was when she published "The HandMaid's Tale."

Never mind the:

ecoterrorists
antiabortion terrorists
Traditional Value terrorists
Ethnic Cleansing

What the whole point of the books is, White Women must have White Babies.

UH OH, Hulu is carrying a production of the The HandMaid's Tale and it is terrifying!

Women must have white babies. That is the central message and it's still resonating today.

Watch the promotion video, I have chills. It blows the movie right out of the water. Straight out.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/26/entertain ... index.html
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”