The evils of Facebook....

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: The evils of Facebook....

Postby Queen K » Jan 18th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Triple 6 wrote:Not always a happy reunion
Contributed - Jan 17, 2018 / 3:00 pm | Story: 216401
On my adopted daughters 19th birthday a post appeared on Facebook containing her picture along with all my daughters personal information that was available in an attempt to get her last name and address.

This post was authored by my daughters birth mother. I can announce that the post was a success as the information requested was obtained many times over. I know the people who responded to the post meant well, thought they were helping a mother out by supplying contact information.

However if you think about it, there is a reason why someone is available for adoption in the first place and there is a reason why the adoption is closed (as stated in the post). We had reasons why we didn't want members of our daughters birth family showing up at our door.

This whole event has been deeply upsetting to our family and we aren't the only ones that this could happen to. Keep in mind when someone puts out a post looking for someone, as appealing as they might sound, it may not be a happy reunion.

Agreed. Same with people looking for people here on Castanet. We don't know or understand all the motivations.
It must be nice to live in an Ivory Tower, where everyone else makes mistakes. I have no idea what an ivory tower looks like.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12643 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 18th, 2018, 5:43 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/world/can ... index.html

UMMMM, I guess facebook has it's uses? Like the murder of a young woman was solved via an officer spotting a belt used to strangle her, in a facebook post.

Strange but true.
It must be nice to live in an Ivory Tower, where everyone else makes mistakes. I have no idea what an ivory tower looks like.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12643 posts

Postby Temet Nosce » Jan 21st, 2018, 7:02 pm

Not a huge fan of FB and rarely use it--only had access to FB under someone else to see my kid travelling. I really struggle with some of the animal videos--one I saw today. I am a HUGE animal lover and there was a video I saw today saving a puppy. I really believe it was staged. I am just sickened. Totally gutted actually learning about how some are harming animals staging videos to get likes/shares etc. Sadly, I now won't share or like any animal videos for fear that I may be perpetuating animal abuse. Makes me wonder if exposure to social media/FB has increased or decreased animal abuse. On the one hand FB can be a vehicle to expose abusers...on the other it may create abuse for monetary gain :cry:

Catsumi likes this post.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Liked in: 512 posts

Postby normaM » Jan 22nd, 2018, 7:20 am

hmm, I personally think adult children should be able to learn about their birth parents for a number of compelling reasons.
Why would anyone think they can bring a child into the World, have child adopted and poof it is like it never happened?
Lots of ways to prevent " adoptee" family members from showing up at your door.
I really like FB.. easy enough to make setting friends only or totally private
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2532 posts

Previous

Return to Social Concerns