The evils of Facebook....

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: The evils of Facebook....

Post by alanjh595 »

If my children or grandchildren want information about me or my family, they can pick up the phone and call me anytime. I would be elated to talk to them about our shared lineage anytime.
Facebook is a lazy childs' way of not talking about all the stories.
Bring back the LIKE button.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

People on Castanet.net have judged me for stating my policy is to not have FB friends of the opposite sex who aren’t family. I feel completely justified in my choice.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Nothing wrong with that decision. If it bothers some people that's their problem, not yours.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We have family in Australia and the Netherlands that we keep in touch with via Facebook. We are not close enough to some of them to use the phone to keep in touch but the occasional facebook post is nice.
I have cousins in the Cariboo that we banter back and forth frequently with as well and one back East too.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's just another way to communicate and is whatever you make of it. It's fantastic for sharing pictures and organizing events. I hosted a pig roast last year for 50 people. Do you know how difficult that would be to do by phone?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

What did we do before internet?

We talked to each other via phone, or paper mail. These forms of social media has taken the "social" out of our personal interactions with each other.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

I like FB too because our friends and family are literally scattered everywhere. But I have to admit that I have had more than a few friends have their relationships contaminated by old "friends" of the opposite sex coming out of the woodwork.

It's far too easy for men and women to dip their toes into the realm of "maybe" with someone of the opposite sex that they may admire, when in a face-face world they would normally practice more appropriate interaction. Flirting is way too convenient on FB when the consequences are muted because face to face rejection is just that much more humiliating.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

kgcayenne wrote:People on Castanet.net have judged me for stating my policy is to not have FB friends of the opposite sex who aren’t family. I feel completely justified in my choice.

I just did some research, and discovered that you're my half brother's half brothers' half sister's half brother's cousin twice removed's adopted son's uncle's step daughter, so we're related!

No wait, that was oneh2obabe. But no worries, I identify as a woman because it's 2018.

No wait, that's gender, not sex.... I think.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

alanjh595 wrote:If my children or grandchildren want information about me or my family, they can pick up the phone and call me anytime. I would be elated to talk to them about our shared lineage anytime.

And what did we do before the telephone? It sounds like you're all just too lazy to get out a pen and paper and write a letter. You know, the proper way to communicate.

I don't really mean that, but perhaps you can see my point. Communication evolves. Each step in that evolution opens up possibilities that weren't there before.

I email and skype regularly with my Dad and Stepmom on Vancouver Island. They also keep up with daily anecdotes about what my family and I (including their grandson) is up to via facebook...photos, funny things he says, or just my own wit and wisdom. Earlier this year, a performer visited my son's school. He invited my son onstage to participate in the show, and it was charming and funny. I used Facebook to share video of that with grandparents, godparents friends, etc. Now, I'm sure my spoken description of this event would have been riveting, but sometimes there's just no substitute for the immediacy of social media.

If Facebook isn't for you, that's fine. But don't discount that people are using it in ways you wouldn't have thought of.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

alanjh595 wrote:If my children or grandchildren want information about me or my family, they can pick up the phone and call me anytime. I would be elated to talk to them about our shared lineage anytime.

I have to agree with JayByrd. Even with Facebook there's a chat place where one can chit chat back and forth without disturbing anyone else in the room and with multiple people at the same time. Group events are great way to reach out to more people in less time. Cuts down on the phone calls one has to make to those that aren't on Facebook.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Okay, ONE good story out of facebook today.

I was at Bandon, Oregon when I came across this gorgeous wedding shoot happening with the sun setting in the background and the green waters of the ocean roaring in. I got incredible photos. Most turned out. And it wasn't a wedding shoot, it was an advertising shoot for her to show how she could be a wedding photographer for clients.

So just today, I decided to find the photographer.

In under 5 minutes, the group I posted two photos in had the name of the photographer for me. I found her fb site and sent a friend request and sent a message. Her response was instant!

She shared the album of her to her facebook site. Said, "thanks."

Which is all I could ask for really. I am so thrilled though with a good news story for once.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The evil side of FB appeared again last night on the news. Seems like some hardworking schmuck that owns a reasonably successful eatery in Vancouver was targeted by a gang of FB users who posted extremely negative reviews without proof that they had ever eaten there. (Toenails in soup, etc).

The owner not only has to make his patrons happy so that they tell others and return again themselves, pay taxes and wages, support his family, work very long hours AND fight anonymous hoodlums that had nothing better to do. Personally, I would throw in the towel in disgust.

Our freedoms and accessibilities to technologies are double-bladed as, has been said many many times in these forums, you just cannot fix stupid (and evil).

:-X
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Been off FB for a bit more than a year. Don't miss it at all.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Catsumi wrote:The evil side of FB appeared again last night on the news. Seems like some hardworking schmuck that owns a reasonably successful eatery in Vancouver was targeted by a gang of FB users who posted extremely negative reviews without proof that they had ever eaten there. (Toenails in soup, etc).

Not the first time a person or persons has done this. It's can be hard to recover from, and impossible to know how many potential customers read it and took it to heart.

This could be done just as easily on Yelp or TripAdvisor though...it's the evil side of people, not of Facebook.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Anti Social - A Modern Dating Horror Story | Comic Relief Originals

Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.

Return to “Social Concerns”