The evils of Facebook....

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: The evils of Facebook....

Post by Queen K »

Triple 6 wrote:Not always a happy reunion
Contributed - Jan 17, 2018 / 3:00 pm | Story: 216401
On my adopted daughters 19th birthday a post appeared on Facebook containing her picture along with all my daughters personal information that was available in an attempt to get her last name and address.

This post was authored by my daughters birth mother. I can announce that the post was a success as the information requested was obtained many times over. I know the people who responded to the post meant well, thought they were helping a mother out by supplying contact information.

However if you think about it, there is a reason why someone is available for adoption in the first place and there is a reason why the adoption is closed (as stated in the post). We had reasons why we didn't want members of our daughters birth family showing up at our door.

This whole event has been deeply upsetting to our family and we aren't the only ones that this could happen to. Keep in mind when someone puts out a post looking for someone, as appealing as they might sound, it may not be a happy reunion.

Agreed. Same with people looking for people here on Castanet. We don't know or understand all the motivations.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/world/can ... index.html

UMMMM, I guess facebook has it's uses? Like the murder of a young woman was solved via an officer spotting a belt used to strangle her, in a facebook post.

Strange but true.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Not a huge fan of FB and rarely use it--only had access to FB under someone else to see my kid travelling. I really struggle with some of the animal videos--one I saw today. I am a HUGE animal lover and there was a video I saw today saving a puppy. I really believe it was staged. I am just sickened. Totally gutted actually learning about how some are harming animals staging videos to get likes/shares etc. Sadly, I now won't share or like any animal videos for fear that I may be perpetuating animal abuse. Makes me wonder if exposure to social media/FB has increased or decreased animal abuse. On the one hand FB can be a vehicle to expose abusers...on the other it may create abuse for monetary gain :cry:
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

hmm, I personally think adult children should be able to learn about their birth parents for a number of compelling reasons.
Why would anyone think they can bring a child into the World, have child adopted and poof it is like it never happened?
Lots of ways to prevent " adoptee" family members from showing up at your door.
I really like FB.. easy enough to make setting friends only or totally private
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Today my candy is taken away from me. :-X

Facebook is "down" right now. I am, I am........... :swear: :swear: :swear: How can they let this happen?

I finally found some groups I need to be in, spent all day on them yesterday and now this? :-X

Yes, I've never had this happen to me before.

Evil I tell you.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I've had some issues the past two days as well
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Do you feel like Zuckerberg has lost control of facebook and someone else is pulling the strings?

A page is coming down, because, well, someone has decided what truth is. Language warning but here it is:

"Warning

Earth Catastrophe Cycle in the Electric Universe PUBLIC PAGE is scheduled to be deleted in 14 days.

the page,
has been banned from posting on any comments as a page , even on it's own group....
and the page is being shadow banned due to post about

A. The Sun

B. A movie, "PANDEMIC...

From FACEBOOK..

WARNING: Earth Catastrophe Cycle in the Electric Universe
Page Restrictions

Your Page has reduced distribution and other restrictions because of repeated sharing of false news. People will also be able to see if a Page has a history of sharing false news.
Violations

Content is being seen by fewer people because it was rated False by an independent fact-checker.
Notified May 11, 2020

You shared this "Pandemic, the movie........"

Content is being seen by fewer people because it was rated False by an independent fact-checker.
Notified March 19, 2020

You shared this "29 Bulletpoints that proves the sun causes climate change not CO2"

frankly

DON'T NEED THIS *bleep* THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT BUT FACE BOOK CAN GO *bleep* ITSELF!

and

IF YOU STILL THINK LIVING IN YOUR HOUSE UNDER "QUARANTINE'..AND THIS KINDA *bleep*, THAT YOU LIVE IN A FREE SOCIETY....

YOU'RE *bleep* DELUSIONAL.....

Share this with as many as possible....."
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Queen K wrote:Do you feel like Zuckerberg has lost control of facebook and someone else is pulling the strings?

A page is coming down, because, well, someone has decided what truth is. Language warning but here it is:

"Warning

Earth Catastrophe Cycle in the Electric Universe PUBLIC PAGE is scheduled to be deleted in 14 days.

Strange. I visited the page in question and can't find any reference to this. I'm also wondering why FB would "shadow ban" something, but provide two weeks' notice. Wouldn't they just shut it down as soon as a decision was made?

To me this seems like an attempt to get people to go to that page.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Sounds like Facebook has already deleted it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote:Do you feel like Zuckerberg has lost control of facebook and someone else is pulling the strings?

Once something goes from privately owned to be publicly traded, things change.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

I just picked up an Olivetti Linea 88 manual typewriter from the 60s. A little cleanup, a stock of ribbons, and I’ll be all set. When we were kids we used to send chain letters around—news and goofy stuff. How ‘bout that for a Facebook replacement? Or even for a forum? In the 1977 novel, Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, all but the postman went to *bleep*. Just need to friend up before time runs out.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Can your new innovative method display my photos of all my adventures and travels? And American Dipper photos? Because if the answer "no" I'm sticking with Mark Z.
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

No it's not insta.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Fancy wrote:Sounds like Facebook has already deleted it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/557677891389670/

The most recent post was an hour ago.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

“How a debunked COVID-19 video kept spreading after Facebook and YouTube took it down”

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/alt-t ... -1.5577013

Yep, after reading the article and prior to posting it I did a search and, “Pandemic,” as well as versions of it are still up there on BitChute.

And of course I sampled a few of the vids for the same reasons I used to love watching, “Infowars.”

"You can get anything you want at Alex's restaurant." :biggrin:

Return to “Social Concerns”