The evils of Facebook....

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: The evils of Facebook....

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Thanks. Maybe when I feel better.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Since when are you a troll anyways?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Facebook has the absolute worst search engine in world history. I posted some a year ago that I wanted to dig up again. I search for the title, the words I used when posting it, and the link, and got nothing. I went and found it the hard way, and yup, it's there, but Facebook and their stupid search can't find it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And they keep asking you questions about the ads you delete. Like okay FB, NO ADS, okay? What part of this are you not getting? Thanks for the free service by the way, I'll pretend it's cheap to run.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote: Thanks for the free service by the way, I'll pretend it's cheap to run.

So why is the founder one of the richest people around? I would rather pay a small fee than be bombarded with all the crap ads and BS from them.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

What's Facebook?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

A social media site where people do or say incredible, mundane, boring, or fantastic things.

It's a site where you can have 1,000 friends but only know five of them well and four of them even respond to what you post.
You can feel incredibly filled with knowledge, unless you watch cat videos all the time.
What's your pleasure? It's all there. Name it.
Every interest on Earth is covered.
You can be shocked, constantly. Or not.
It can suck your time, or be a place where your friends are incomplete and total support of you.
Every political affiliation on Earth is there.
Currently the "I hate Justin Trudeau" facebook sites are trending strong.
It can make you feel empowered, or totally helpless.
Like here, lurk or play, it's all free.
You can have 100 friends from all different aspects of your life and no one, or few, knows each other.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

AND if you want to see how nasty people can be, go on a National Media site and give your opinion on anything. LOL
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I have a friend on Facebook whom I've been connected with online for at least 15 years, but never met, and probably never will. Our friendship predates Facebook. He's a Washington Capitals season ticket holder, so we talk about hockey a lot.

He does set construction for movies, TV, and theatre productions. He's been working pretty much 24/7 this week constructing sets and camera emplacements for CNN, for their inauguration coverage. He's said he'll make more money around inauguration time than he does the entire rest of the year. Very lucrative for him. Hearing him share about this experience has been quite fascinating.

I was recently stricken with kidney stones, to the point where my life was pretty much on hold for the first three weeks of December. Turns out he deals with this chronically, which I never knew. He's been a big help and support as I've worked my way through this.

Without Facebook, we probably would have lost all contact over a decade ago. But I like having him around.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Kidney stones are more painful than childbirth. And that's no joke. Women have told me this is true.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Glacier wrote:Kidney stones are more painful than childbirth. And that's no joke. Women have told me this is true.

A number of women have said that what I described, was how they would describe back labour. One female friend who's experienced both, said the pain was on the same level. I wouldn't presume to put my suffering alongside that of the mothers in my life...but I can say that the worst pain I've ever felt before this was a broken leg, and it was easily as bad as that.

But enough about my innards! :)
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Dang, I was just going to say something about you having the guts to post all that JayByrd. :D

I love facebook for pretty much the same reason. I have reconnected with friends I thought I would never find again. I belonged to a chatroom years ago that was in South Africa, and we watched live cameras on waterholes there. There were a lot of people that I made friends with (and actually got to meet a few in real life!) but when the chat room shut down I figured I had lost about half of them because I didn't bother getting email addresses etc. I have found almost all of them now on facebook. :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Another evil of Facebook (or not):

Last night, while backing out of the driveway at work, I managed to get my car high-centered on a snowbank. I tried to dig it out, but the snowbank was really more like a big block compressed snow and ice. I wasn't going to get far there with a plastic snow shovel. After trying for some time to forward/reverse my way out, I realized I'd need help.

I put out a call on Facebook, asking if anyone in the Rutland area could assist me. Turns out a friend from HS, whom I am friends with on FB, lived right around the corner. He showed up with a 4WD pickup and a tow strap, and a few minutes later I was free.

Last night was only the second time I've seen that friend since graduation, over 20 years ago, and the first time in about a decade. We don't hang out together or even have each other's phone numbers.

For those who use mobile devices, FB can be a great way to get information out quickly. I was grateful for it.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

If its evil...dont use it...no one told you to use it. Your the adult...think like one.

its like saying that Mcdonalds made you fat. They didnt have have a salad so you bought 52 burgers instead. Is McDonalds evil? (took that from a Bill Burr special on Netflix...funny stuff)

Friends that i know dont go on because a lot of things....crazy meme posts all the way to that its a way of tracking what your doing online.

I contently say, do you used the internet at all....they track you all the time...have a cell phone...yup tracked.

Facebook is a tool to be used and not have it use you....
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I love facebook and my facebook buddies will tell you that.

Having said that, there are some aspects to it that make people "walk the evil line." By that, I mean get into work sites and make drop dead stupid "you're fired" statements and get everyone riled up and agreeing with you.

Like is going on right now. I'm like :cuss: the :cuss: up people.

Return to “Social Concerns”