The evils of Facebook....

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

The evils of Facebook....

Post by Queen K »

What's your beef about facebook?

Is there a movement away from it?

I just requested a "friend" status with my 7 year old nephew, is a seven year old having a profile even cool?

Is there really an evil presence gathering all our data for a evil presence, or can they do anything with that data anyways?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
logicalview
Guru

Re: The evils of Facebook....

Post by logicalview »

Queen K wrote:What's your beef about facebook?

That it is possible for people to find out who I really am.
Not afraid to say "It".
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I love Facebook. No beef at all.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
bcbudrockz69
Übergod

Post by bcbudrockz69 »

i dnt understand why ppl even use facebook twitter myspace all i ever use is msn lol if i wanted to converse with frends n hve them post pics id start a web site
bcbudrockz69
Übergod

Post by bcbudrockz69 »

Captain Awesome wrote:I love Facebook. No beef at all.

meeting hot women in california are yea? lol
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Queen K wrote:I just requested a "friend" status with my 7 year old nephew, is a seven year old having a profile even cool?

Facebook has a 13 and above policy, so he's breaking the rules as it is by having a profile.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

kccayenne wrote:
Queen K wrote:I just requested a "friend" status with my 7 year old nephew, is a seven year old having a profile even cool?

Facebook has a 13 and above policy, so he's breaking the rules as it is by having a profile.

I thought it was too weird. I think his family is a little too excited about him growing up, they prolly think it's cute. Maybe in the Phillipines rules are different too? No idea. I just know that if I'm "friended" it's going to be odd.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Most of my family isn't even on mine after taking a look at their friends lists, I don't want to be connected to some of their friends in any way, shape, or form.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I don't like how I have to keep checking to see my privacy options are as I left them . . . when they put new stuff in they default the new to "anyone".

But I like it, a lot. Keeps my in touch with my family at distance, without the phone calls with awkward pauses, or dealing with the family member who puts my teeth on edge.
I haven't failed until I quit.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Used properly it is nothing but good stuff!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

On the privacy thing. If you go into your friend list you will see yourself as your own friend, delete yourself from your list. This is a way that hackers can gain access to your info. I was told this a while back. I did not understand why I was my own friend.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

I really go on to play farmville, I am addicted to that game!
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

facebook is having privacy issues with its members. They, facebook, want to use your information that you post on your account and make it available to their advertisers. while facebook claims that you can protect your information by simply clicking on various settings, you have to dig deep to find all the settings.

once you set your privacy controls, you would think you were done. WRONG! your friends can give out your private info as well. so you have to go back into your settings and set it up so they are not allowed to do that.

if you want more info, http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/05/fa ... uld-follow

If you know who "leo laporte" is, he was a host on the old zdtech show and call for help show, he has been going on a rampage on his podcasts against facebook. his podcast are at twit.tv (twit stands for this week in tech)

to watch his podcast on the facebook issue http://twit.cachefly.net/video/twit/twi ... 80_500.mp4. he has been talking about it for a couple weeks on most of his shows on TWIT (he owns this channel)

on this show, this week in google (TWIG), he shows how he deletes his facebook account, http://twit.cachefly.net/video/twig/twi ... 80_500.mp4

how do permanently delete a facebook account

http://www.wikihow.com/Permanently-Dele ... ok-Account

to view the entire jpg, http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/i ... k/gif1.jpg
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

kccayenne wrote:Most of my family isn't even on mine after taking a look at their friends lists, I don't want to be connected to some of their friends in any way, shape, or form.

Too funny. Some people have like 7670000 friends ...why?
I am very selective of who I add.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I absolutely only add direct friends and family, no friends of friends or random people EVER. Keeps it safer.

I also never click a link unless I *KNOW* what it is. Lots of viruses that make my friends post things that just don't seem right for them to post...

Also absolutely never put your phone number, address, stuff like that on there. If someone wants to know where you live, they can ask you. I cannot believe some people would put their address or phone number on the internet. That is just stupid. Unless I am getting something shipped to me, I will quite often use fake addresses or phone numbers in any form that ever asks for them because I don't believe it is any of their business.

Facebook is great to keep in touch with friends and family, and people you normally wouldn't call. I am not into the text messaging thing so facebook is great for sending a message if I need to get ahold of someone but don't have their number.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.

Return to “Social Concerns”