The evils of Facebook....

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: The evils of Facebook....

Post by Glacier »

stupidfacebookapp.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Glacier wrote:stupidfacebookapp.jpg

Presses 'Like' button .

:D
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh ya! I hate apps. I HATE THEM! HATE THEM :purefury:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Queen K wrote:Oh ya! I hate apps. I HATE THEM! HATE THEM :purefury:

There's an app for that :sillygrin:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://www.castanet.net/news/World/8864 ... vate-lives

Oh No! More reasons to delete all your likes on FB. Profiling! I never considered books, movies, acts and a few other things needing to be "liked" so it looks like I'm a cultural wasteland who has never heard of an author. What would fb analysts say about that?

I have exactly three bands liked but thats it. Oh and dozens of travel leisure sites and Geology of America or something like that.

Analyze that Facebook!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:ohmygod: :ohmygod: :ohmygod: :ohmygod: :ohmygod:

Now I need a facebook techno wonder kid to help me out.

I've lost all ability to upload pix, and by all, I mean, I can't upload a thing. Lost all ability to even access the multiple albums I have on my harddrive. Yes, the albums are still there, the "photo/video" feature just no longer recognizes the vast majority of them. Just some, and as of tonight, I can't upload even the pix off of those ones.

So.

I send FB a message. But they don't answer individuals. So they say they will try to improve fb. I don't want it improved. They change enough stuff.

I want them to debug whatever's happened.

SO, I guess I sit and wait. See what happens.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/World/88645/Facebook-an-open-book-on-private-lives

Oh No! More reasons to delete all your likes on FB. Profiling! I never considered books, movies, acts and a few other things needing to be "liked" so it looks like I'm a cultural wasteland who has never heard of an author. What would fb analysts say about that?

I call BS on this one. There is no way that this software is capable of getting an accurate profile of people with "likes."
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I believe you are right Glacier, it's like trying to use our google entries to determine our future actions, or use it in a court case.

It's like trying to take an inventory of books in a house to determine intent.

Or like trying to categorize thoughts that aren't just ultimately a jumble of randomness.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Uh oh, the final proof. They are tracking us!

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/faceb ... 6C10240840

And nothing you delete can help you.

I predict a backlash to back to print for a few things.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Queen K wrote:Uh oh, the final proof. They are tracking us!

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/faceb ... 6C10240840

And nothing you delete can help you.

I predict a backlash to back to print for a few things.

Many people have assumed as much for years now (myself included), and thus far they've been proven to be correct. It doesn't start & stop with Facebook, either - FB is only an easy & popular "target".

link 1
link 2
link 3
link 4
link 5
link 6
link 7
link 8

You get the idea. It's not a good direction that we are going in.

The ultimate point of all of this is to reduce people into "risk profiles" that cascade into a large tree of conclusions based on these profiles, that arise from various statistical models, driven by no small amount of policy objectives. In a world with fewer and fewer "decent jobs", and more desperate people, these components become simply another impediment and "rational justification" to remove more people from consideration for an increasing number of things, most of which tie back to social mobility and personal choices. The worst part about this, of course, is how non-consensual and asymmetric it all is.
Your bias suits you.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Facebook has changed since I've joined it.

I tried to find a friend of mine, whom I just assisted to sign up not hours before, and facebook claimed she wasn't there. Until they got her email address from me that is.

Problem is, even if I had it, or one of her many email addys, do I give in and try to give one out? I know she used one of them, but do I now use it for them to confirm?

Facebook has many uses. The sky is the limit truthfully. Social groups, interest groups, photography galore. But it can also be seductively isolating. I warned my first time user friend that people will only show you what they want you to see, NOT necessarily what is going on behind the scenes either.

And what is it with facebook having to show everyone what you did and liked in the right hand feed?
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

I really don't understand why there's such a shock that you, the facebook user, are being profiled.

It costs a good chunk of change to operate Facebook. To the tune of about 75 million dollars per month (or $1/active user). You're not paying to use it at all.

Guess what that means? You're the product they're selling. The apps, games, posts, likes, messaging, etc are all draws to keep you engaged and countable as another pair of eyeballs to sell. Don't like it? Go start your own social media platform.

ps. Castanet's basic business model (as is any other news/media publication - electronic or print) is the same. Your eyeballs are the reason those banner ads exist.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Why does that sound so snarky ^?

It's not a shock to me, where did you get that from?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Here's another one: Just found out about "like" farming today. Now I've seen those super cute things "I'll bet I can't get a single Like" and usually I say "yup" and move one. Because I hate that stuff, being emotionally pulled. Same with similar posts, Tell me in one word how we met and Share to your page." Nope. I might say how, but never share. I'll decide what goes on there thanks.

Here is Like Farming and how it works. The evils of facebook!

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstori ... li=AAggFp5
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

This is a special message to all the posters here who add endless, and I mean endlessly post "I HATE JUSTIN TRUDEAU" threads here in everyway imaginable.

Every topic on JT imaginable can go under facebook groups, I hate Justian Trudeau and believe me, there are a lot more of them!

So if you're frustrated here, with Capital "L" liberals, small "l" liberals or anyone remotely supporting JT, then there is a facebook site waiting for you, with plenty of "friends" in tow!

Return to “Social Concerns”