Volcanoes

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Volcanoes

Post by Queen K »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/04/us/kilau ... index.html

Simply some of the best coverage I've seen yet. ^^^^^^ :up:
Last edited by Queen K on May 4th, 2018, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I wonder how islands have formed and then eroded into the sea since that hotspot first formed. Would be cool to go back in time and see what they looked like 50 million years ago.
westbeach

Post by westbeach »

You can trace the hot spots movement on Google Earth. Pretty neat!
Moved from Aleutian Islands to the NW.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Oh my....

Hawaii Civil Defense Warns of EXPLOSIVE ERUPTION of Kilauea Volcano within 48 Hours

http://halturnerradioshow.com/index.php ... n-48-hours
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And one fissure is threatening to block an evac route. Why did they leave 2,000 people behind, hoping for "the best"? :135:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Some people refuse to leave.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Fancy wrote:Some people refuse to leave.

I would say to those people, good luck with that.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

They would have been advised that first responders are not likely to be told to enter an area that is that dangerous.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Fancy wrote:They would have been advised that first responders are not likely to be told to enter an area that is that dangerous.

Things can be replaced, ones life not going to happen.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I haven't been to the Big Isle of Hawaii, ever, so I have no idea how to gauge the distances and size of the place. Having said that, if a volcano was proving to be very dangerous, even on the furthest side from where I was, would I still be there?

I can't say. But ash and sulphuric dioxide gases can kill, just ask a whole lot of people in Iceland.

So why isn't the entire Island being evacuated? Or is it a distance thing? And why hasn't Donald Trump gone over there to see what is happening? Support the National guards etc.

Anyway, I am guessing I'd be leaving as some sort of volcano refugee if this was happening to me but I don't live there either.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/15/ha ... hfall.html

The vents that have formed on Hawaii's Big Island from one of the world’s most active volcanoes are releasing dangerous levels of gases that pose a danger to anyone nearby, officials warned as a new fissure in the area opened up Tuesday.

The Hawaii County Civil Defense said the volcanic fissures in the southeast area of Lanipuna Gardens neighborhood are issuing high levels of sulfur dioxide gas, which are causing the air quality to be to be placed under "red" conditions.

"Condition RED means immediate danger to health so take action to limit further exposure. Severe conditions may exist such as choking and inability to breathe," the agency said. "This is a serious situation that affects the entire exposed population."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.wired.com/2010/06/0621laki- ... es-europe/

Sulphuric dioxide gas travelled from Iceland to Great Britian, killing scores of people
. In other words, this stuff travels and does not check at the borders. Why are people even still on the Big Isle? No lessons learned from the 1700s? Too far back in time to think it won't happen here? :135:

Nevermind what happened in Iceland itself, where gasses stripped the hides off living livestock of all descriptions. Over 9,000 people lost their lives. Ever wonder why so many came to Canada and North America?

:135:

Return to “Social Concerns”