Volcanoes

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Volcanoes

Postby Queen K » Oct 13th, 2017, 8:24 am

We didn't know this until we got there, but one of the back entrances to the drive around Mt. St. Helen's is Randle, a small unassuming town on Highway 12.

I am already planning on a stay in Packwood as Randle doesn''t have motel accomodation and I'm too delicate to be camping.

The State Parks man at the Johnson Intrepretation center said, "yes that's where you see the main tree blow down and a few of the artifacts of what was left after the May 18th blow up."

So I'm already planning. Spring flowers for colour, early June I think might do it. :up:
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9585 posts

Postby averagejoe » Nov 2nd, 2017, 12:27 pm

Earthquake swarm near White Island unrelated to volcano, New Zealand

An earthquake swarm started near New Zealand's White Island volcano on Sunday, October 29, 2017. Over the next 3 days, GeoNet registered a total of 137 earthquakes, with the largest measuring M4.8 at a depth of 7 km (4.3 miles).

"It's a swarm of earthquakes that can happen from time to time," GNS volcano geochemist Agnes Mazot told Radio New Zealand. "There is nothing happening in the volcano... it's not happening in the volcanic edifice."

"We can have more today, tomorrow, it would not be unusual, but we don't know for sure how long it would take."

Mazot added that the quakes seemed to be a continuation of previous swarms of earthquakes in the area.

https://watchers.news/2017/11/01/earthq ... w-zealand/
"Man is not free unless government is limited." -- Ronald Reagan
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1517 posts

Postby averagejoe » Nov 2nd, 2017, 12:30 pm

Off the west coast of Italy...

New strong explosion at Stromboli volcano, Italy

A new strong explosion took place at Stromboli volcano, Italy at 20:29 UTC on November 1, 2017, and lasted approximately 3 minutes.

According to INGV Catania, the explosion was similar to that of October 23, 2017. "Surveillance camera image analysis showed that the explosive sequence started with an intense event from the southcentral crater and was followed by several smaller explosions in the following minutes," the observatory said.

The explosion ejected abundant crude pyroclastic material on Sciara del Fuoco viewpoint and in the direction of Pizzo sopra la Fossa as well as dense ash plume which quickly dispersed.

https://watchers.news/2017/11/01/new-st ... ano-italy/
"Man is not free unless government is limited." -- Ronald Reagan

Queen K likes this post.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1517 posts

Postby GordonH » Nov 2nd, 2017, 1:27 pm

^^^ just north of the the island was a quake
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... us2000bf9a
GordonH
Buddha of the Board