Signs of the coming American collapse

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Signs of the coming American collapse

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

twobits wrote:Looked like a typical sales pitch using fear as a motivator. Take some simple truths and spin them to make people feel they must have the rest of the story that is so often referred to but never revealed unless you sign up for the "free" booklet or report. Ya right......the bait leading to the switch. I especially loved the secrecy at the end of pitch about the one asset that anyone can easily own that will ensure your financial well being when the monetary crisis hits. It is not stocks, bondsor gold either. Anyone have any guesses? The Mormons say sugar is one of the best items to own in times of crisis as a barter item. My guess is bullets.

I tend to agree with your skepticism and for the most part view stuff like that likewise.

The difference though, at least to me, was that in this case, those "simple truths" are of phenomenal importance.

Simple basics tell me that Uncle Sam can't just keep printing 90 trillion dollars of greenbacks a month, based on air, to pay his bills, without in the process pi$$ing off the rest of the world, and it appears that is in fact what's happening.

What the US has been doing is really no different, than if you or I went on wild spending sprees, then when the bills came in, simply went home and cranked on our printer to churn out some cash to pay the debts.

My guess is our time free out in the general population, would be short lived, and we'd become a long term resident of the crowbar hotel, yet when it's Uncle Sam doing it, apparently it's supposed to be OK.

Other countries suffered the consequences of losing the privilege of being the worlds reserve currency, so what makes you think the US can't end up in the same situation?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Static wrote:Houses oversold in those areas so it is justified. When a house goes from $60k to $120k is understandable. But, they are not going from $300 to $500k.

It's a rebound nonetheless and things are still looking good, especially in Phoenix. All I'm saying is that it isn't all doom and gloom in the US any longer. There are some positive signs that things are turning around and it isn't taking decades.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

It will take closer to 2 decades before prices create a new record is what I meant. 23 years later, Japan's prices are still 30% below the 1990 peak.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

It's a rebound nonetheless and things are still looking good, especially in Phoenix. All I'm saying is that it isn't all doom and gloom in the US any longer. There are some positive signs that things are turning around and it isn't taking decades.

what exactly is the direction of the rebound? is it in a direction that is any better? or is it in the direction from whence it came? the mega businesses got the bail out and the people get 300 bucks in foreclosure help losing everything. is that the measure of a good situation? the businesses and lenders were caught red faced but got off scott free while hard working people lose everything? at the end of the day it was those hard workers tax dollars that bailed out the businesses and lenders. so.....we will see what kind of rebound it actually is. as far as i see its just a red green -duct tape - junk yard - band aid.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

LoneWolf_53 wrote: I tend to agree with your skepticism and for the most part view stuff like that likewise.

The difference though, at least to me, was that in this case, those "simple truths" are of phenomenal importance.

Simple basics tell me that Uncle Sam can't just keep printing 90 trillion dollars of greenbacks a month, based on air, to pay his bills, without in the process pi$$ing off the rest of the world, and it appears that is in fact what's happening.

What the US has been doing is really no different, than if you or I went on wild spending sprees, then when the bills came in, simply went home and cranked on our printer to churn out some cash to pay the debts.

My guess is our time free out in the general population, would be short lived, and we'd become a long term resident of the crowbar hotel, yet when it's Uncle Sam doing it, apparently it's supposed to be OK.

Other countries suffered the consequences of losing the privilege of being the worlds reserve currency, so what makes you think the US can't end up in the same situation?

I hear ya. Have some serious concerns aboutthe debt levels too. FYI though, the quantitative easing the US has been doing for the last year is up to 30 billion a month, not 90 trillion, and the Fed has thankfully indicated it is coming to and end.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

twobits wrote:I hear ya. Have some serious concerns aboutthe debt levels too. FYI though, the quantitative easing the US has been doing for the last year is up to 30 billion a month, not 90 trillion, and the Fed has thankfully indicated it is coming to and end.

One would hope that is coming to an end. I am skeptical though because by conducting QE, they are essentially depressing the long-term lending rate. Given the amount of debt the U.S. is in, they cannot afford to have rates rise meaning QE may well very likely be extended. Eventually people are going to demand a higher rate of return for holding US debt and dollars; the higher rate representing the higher level of risk one is taking on by investing (if you can call it that) in U.S. debt.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

sooperphreek wrote:what exactly is the direction of the rebound? is it in a direction that is any better? or is it in the direction from whence it came? the mega businesses got the bail out and the people get 300 bucks in foreclosure help losing everything. is that the measure of a good situation? the businesses and lenders were caught red faced but got off scott free while hard working people lose everything? at the end of the day it was those hard workers tax dollars that bailed out the businesses and lenders. so.....we will see what kind of rebound it actually is. as far as i see its just a red green -duct tape - junk yard - band aid.

This is exactly the response I was expecting to see in this thread. Any posts that are the least bit positive get the doom-and-gloom spin. Prices go down, it's a sign of the US collapsing... prices go up and it's still a sign of the coming US collapse. There is really no winning with you guys is there? Just what would have to happen to housing prices for you guys to see a little bit of positivity? Because prices going up and going down are both bad signs from what you're saying.
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

Static wrote:It will take closer to 2 decades before prices create a new record is what I meant. 23 years later, Japan's prices are still 30% below the 1990 peak.

You do realize that the average price of a new condo in Tokyo as of Aug 2012 is north of 1 million?? .....some price depression
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Hey Rox, keep cheerleading.
Average Weekly Hours, The Law Of Large Numbers, And An April 618,000 Payroll... Decline?
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-0 ... ll-decline
Attachments
Average%20Hourly%20Earningsjpg_0.jpg
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Where The Jobs Were In April, and S&P makes an all time high of this jobs report?
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-0 ... were-april
Attachments
April%20Jobs_0.jpg
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

15 % of all Americans now recieve food stamps that's "48 Million people".
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/11/ ... od-stamps/

Yup it's all better now . /sarc
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Where did I say everything was ok? All I posted was an article that states housing prices are rebounding - I didn't say anything about jobs or food stamps. All I'm saying is that it's not ALL doom and gloom as you guys would have everyone believe. There are some good things happening whether you want to hear it or not. Does that scare you? Don't you want things to get better? With all the negativity you've posted over the past few years, I would have thought this one bit of positive news could act as a beacon for at least a little hope for you. Or maybe you're not capable of hope anymore? Maybe you thrive on drama and pessimism?
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

This is exactly the response I was expecting to see in this thread. Any posts that are the least bit positive get the doom-and-gloom spin. Prices go down, it's a sign of the US collapsing... prices go up and it's still a sign of the coming US collapse. There is really no winning with you guys is there? Just what would have to happen to housing prices for you guys to see a little bit of positivity? Because prices going up and going down are both bad signs from what you're saying.

how can you be positive about a system that is so broken??? if we were at a horse track and every horse broke its leg. and we just threw some wraps around the break of all the legs. would that be a good race? would that be good for the horses? is it worth doing that just to satisfy the needs of the bookies? just because the times would be relative because the handicap is the same doesnt mean that there is anything to be positive about in my opinion.
the stats guys see consumers taking the risk that there will indeed be a rebound and people say that its a rose garden. but what the heck was fixed in the end? NOTHING! thats why people dont buy the sunshine in blown up bag. its all smoke and mirrors. the forecasts are propaganda made by governments and big business so that consumers waste their money and get burned while the bailouts go to the wrong side of the fence.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

The better analogy is that the horses had all broken their legs and are now starting to heal and run again. Sure, they're not as fast as they used to be, but are back on the road to recovery. I guess I'm a glass half full kinda guy, while you see the glass as half empty. I choose to be positive - happiness is a choice. I choose to enjoy life and look for the good in things - it's a much more fulfilling way to live. Call me naive, call me a sheep... I don't care. I'm likely happier than you as a result.

Return to “Social Concerns”