Signs of the coming American collapse

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Signs of the coming American collapse

Post by rekabis »

16 Nightmarish Economic Trends To Watch Carefully In 2011

Biggest one that truly highlights how inevitable it all is: #16 - It is mathematically impossible for the U.S. to “grow” [its] way out of debt

Once the bondholders and holders of US Treasury Bills finally figure out #16 for themselves, all bets are off -- it will be wild hyperinflation, at least in the triple digits and possibly even in the four digits (or more). A default in the US Dollar is no longer just a possibility, but is now an absolute certainty. It is not a matter of if, but when. There is no more escaping that scenario, no more ways to kick the can further down the street.

Of course, we need only to look at our own economy - a minimum of 86% of which are exports to the US (or directly related to US exports) - to see our own fates. When 86+% of our economy craters due to not being paid, what happens to the employees and families that are dependent on those exports? Better yet, what about the knock-down effects that will spread throughout the rest of the economy?

This coming downturn is one which will define humanity for the next century or more. Have reserves in easily liquid assets, have plenty of easily storable goods hidden away, make sure you can physically protect yourself against starving economic refugees that will shoot you dead without a second thought for that last loaf of bread.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Signs of the coming American Collapse

Post by Nebula »

Didn't you mean to post this in nefarious plots?

If the US economy implodes and that means 86% of our economy implodes, we'd be in the same situation as Americans, so why exactly would they be streaming across the border?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

Nebula wrote:Didn't you mean to post this in nefarious plots?

If the US economy implodes and that means 86% of our economy implodes, we'd be in the same situation as Americans, so why exactly would they be streaming across the border?

Because of the remaining 14%, including the fact that we are (thanks to global warming) quickly becoming the breadbasket of North America and the fact that we will have many things up and running (social services, hospitals, electricity, etc.) when they will not.

It is my belief that once the *bleep* hits the fan, there will be no consistent services (electricity, etc.) in the States, there will be almost no produce/food, no fuel to transport said food, and in many places there will be no government to speak of (no police, ambulance, fire, etc.).

Even if our economy collapses, we still have the oil sands to provide us with fuel, and none of our municipalities (save Vancouver due to the Olympics debacle) are yet in dire straits. Our infrastructure will (largely) survive, which should make us appear as the “promised land” to many that are south of the border.

That isn’t to say that things won’t be ugly here… they will. In the next 5-10 years we may see deprivations that are as-yet unthinkable by many people. What may come to pass would probably seem like utter lunacy to most people right now; fit only for a one-way trip to a padded room according to current thinking. But once the worst begins to happen, things will be a lot more ugly south of the 49th than north of it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Mission Hill winery has an awesome bell tower. Great for sniping.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I think the USA economy has only one direction to go...
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

Captain Awesome wrote:Mission Hill winery has an awesome bell tower. Great for sniping.

Bad position. It does not adequately oversee the highway, nor does it cover two of the largest natural choke points on the westside (the Coquihalla offramp and the bridge). It is best only as a defensive position, if one were to make the winery a stronghold.

Ideal locations are in the hillsides on either side of 97 between Gorman’s Mill and the Coquihalla on/offramp, and across the lake from bridge hill. The Kelowna waterfront, in particular, could benefit from several long-range artillery pieces that could bombard anything coming down bridge hill. The high span of the bridge itself could also be fortified with a gate and several pillboxes with high-velocity Gatling guns pointing down the slope of the bridge.

Another prime choke point is Drought hill coming up from Peachland, and the highway between Peachland and Summerland (right where the new construction begins). Very difficult to get around these two points, and so any fortification at these two points would be remarkably effective.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

So, rekabis, are you really and sincerely advocating that if the US economy goes to hell that we should all arm ourselves and start shooting Americans?

You come off sounding like and absolute nu... ah, but that's against the forum rules.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

Nebula wrote:So, rekabis, are you really and sincerely advocating that if the US economy goes to hell that we should all arm ourselves and start shooting Americans?

You come off sounding like and absolute nu... ah, but that's against the forum rules.

As per my last post… no. I was humouring Captain Awesome, as he is one of the people who are always mocking me. When much smarter people than either him or I are even more pessimistic than I am, it is high time for him (and people like him on this forum) to shut up and get with the program.

But essentially, my answer to the above is yes to the first part, and a conditional no to the second.

Yes, we should arm ourselves. US citizens are among the best armed citizenry in the world. Add to that a deep conditioning to accept violence in their day-to-day world, along with a population that outnumbers us 10-to-1 (and which rises to over 100-to-1 when you count the armed population) and we could easily have an armed horde of barbarians at our gates. To do nothing, to avoid planning for what may be the inevitable is to invite our own extermination.

Do I advocate shooting all Americans? Hardly. What we need to do is to prevent mass economic migration to the north. If we can prevent them from overrunning us, that alone will do just fine. When things get really bad, we will have a hard enough time taking care of our own, much less a refugee base that will - at its most conservative - outnumber us at least three-to-one.

The military has a rather pithy saying: “Hope for the best, but plan and prepare for the worst.” And that is exactly what I am doing. Do I want to exterminate anyone coming north to escape economic devastation? No. Will I do my best to discourage them and turn them back? Yes. Will I fight to protect Kelowna, and the Okanagan as a whole? Damn straight. The last thing I need are armed Americans shooting us for our last loaf of bread. Hungry people make for desperate people, and if there is only enough food for either us OR them, I will fight for us every time.

If Americans were just as peaceable as us Canadians, I wouldn’t be on this train of thought. If they owned as few weapons as we do, there wouldn’t be a need to plan like this. What makes this planning necessary is the massive rate of gun ownership in the States. Even if 10% of the American north-west decided to come into Canada, we would be outnumbered and out-gunned to a massive extent. We would be overrun, and most Canadians would suffer horribly. Factor in the potential for widespread social unrest in the States, as well as the potential for martial law, and we could easily see large numbers of refugees even without a collapse of the US Infrastructure.

As such, the time to take action is NOW. If nothing bad happens -- GREAT. That would be AWESOME, and is something I really do hope for. So we waste a little time and energy on planning for something that never happens - so what?

But if the very worst DOES happen - planning like this could very well spell the difference between a functioning society and one where all law and order has broken down.

I would rather be paranoid and safe, than dumb and dead. What would YOU prefer?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

rekabis wrote:I would rather be paranoid and safe, than dumb and dead. What would YOU prefer?

You go ahead and live your life in a paranoid state. It's your right.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

So Rek - have you armed yourself, stored a year a food in your house, hoarded medications, etc yet? And were you not talking about this last year, too?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I wish I could say i disagree with his vision, but unfortunately, I beleive we will one day wake up and the Greenback will be in a freefall. The U.S. debt situation is approaching dire. They are an economic mess. I am with Rek on this one. I think Giants Head mountain in Summerland is a perfect choke point for the South. I'll set up there.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

rekabis wrote: (thanks to global warming).

Well there goes your credibility right down the toilet :dyinglaughing:

Yes , the US is screwed .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

normaM wrote:So Rek - have you armed yourself, stored a year a food in your house, hoarded medications, etc yet? And were you not talking about this last year, too?

Rek? Goodness no, he's tied to a condo which he purchased at the height of Kelowna's housing bubble :200: and is now study to be of all things.......an Accountant.....now does that sound like someone that believe in a future economic collapse?
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

dirtrider wrote:
normaM wrote:So Rek - have you armed yourself, stored a year a food in your house, hoarded medications, etc yet? And were you not talking about this last year, too?

Rek? Goodness no, he's tied to a condo which he purchased at the height of Kelowna's housing bubble :200: and is now study to be of all things.......an Accountant.....now does that sound like someone that believe in a future economic collapse?

Relying on straw-man and Ad Hominem Tu Quoque attacks now, are we dirtrider? I am disappointed in you.

Ignore the messenger, focus on the message. Do that, and perhaps you can do something about your ubiquitous ignorance.

Much of what I am saying is no longer an if, but a when. The sooner you realize that, the greater the chance you won’t look like a fool when it actually comes to pass. What I have done with my life so far is irrelevant and immaterial to the truth of the message I am spreading.
amourus

Post by amourus »

Despite the clear economic challenges that now face THE ENTIRE WORLD, why is it always the "tin foil hat" crowd and people with something to sell, that make these sky is falling posts?

Anyone who thinks that Canada is somehow safer by arming it's citizens to defend themselves from "starving desperate Americans" is utterly naive. Where the heck do you think most of our food comes from (or passes through, getting here)? Do you really think that Canadians are just so friendly and cooperative that we'll join hands and sing "Kumbaya" together while we defend the Coquihalla "choke point" together.

The US (and global) economic problems are stored on paper and can be just as easily "unstored". Once this theoretical financial point of no return is reached, with the stroke of a pen, the system will be reset. And yes, probably lots of paper wealth will be destroyed, but 300 Million Americans and 30 Million Canadian still largely support the idea of organized civilization. As such they will find a way to avoid the chaos and anarchy Rekabis is predicting.

Having trouble sleeping at night worrying? Buy some batteries and a case of canned soup at Costco, learn how to pitch a tent, go take a firearms safety course. It's all good for stimulating the economy and will make you feel a bit safer. If you want to make a real change, call your MP and demand more from our leaders. More action on climate change, more action on clean renewable energy, more action on sustainability (economic & environmental) and above all more action on the widening gap between the super wealthy and the rest of us.

Return to “Social Concerns”