Signs of the coming American collapse

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Signs of the coming American collapse

Post by Bpeep »

Captain Awesome wrote:Nab, "the ultimate killer of the threads through making them very boring by arguing over the fine print" strikes again.

:dyinglaughing:
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/worl ... se-than-08

Could we all see this coming? Ya, in our sleep and nightmares. Anywhoooo, given that mortgage rates in Canada have taken their lowest dip yet, I mean, 2.9%? And the RE industry warned of a downturn and condo buildings have been declaring bankrupt left right and center, Tuscany and Copper Skies are two right off the top of my head.

I'd predict that it's wise to pay off debt and unload RE that is killing you financially.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

funny how there is going to be an american collapse and yet there is talk of unification of canada, mexico and the US. explain the sense of tying an anchor around your neck to me again?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

sooperphreek wrote:funny how there is going to be an american collapse and yet there is talk of unification of canada, mexico and the US. explain the sense of tying an anchor around your neck to me again?
Who's talking about the unification of Canada, Mexico, and the US? Working together on security issues and trade etc. is not the same as unification.
Ford4x4Truck
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ford4x4Truck »

The U.S. is the greatest nation in the world. There's absolutely no way that it's going to collapse.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The Roman Empire said something similar. And the Turkish Empire, and the Mayans, oh, the Aztecs, oh, the Egyptian Empire, and let's not leave out the British Empire and....
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Actually, no one ever said any such thing about most of those. And the differences with the British and American situations are greater than their similarities. About the only one on your list that is conceivable is the Roman Empire, albeit with a few reservations.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm going to say that the US situation and every single one I mentioned have a lot in common, number one is, "they've stretched themselves too thin." Maybe the Mayans aren't a good example to throw in there, but look at where all the other Empires have gone and their cost to administrate, including wagin wars to protect interests. I'd say the US had better reign it in, and they are withdrawing from Iraq, so maybe they get it.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Retrenchment and collapse are two very different concepts. It's doubtful the US will 'collapse' in the sense of it playing a leading international role anytime in the near future. It can retrench and still perform that role.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Homeownertoo wrote:Actually, no one ever said any such thing about most of those. And the differences with the British and American situations are greater than their similarities. About the only one on your list that is conceivable is the Roman Empire, albeit with a few reservations.

Why would you say British and US empires are different? British Empire had control over majority of the world, had financial and military power no one could compete with, but still lost most of its influence over the years.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
C&J
Fledgling

Post by C&J »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Homeownertoo wrote:Actually, no one ever said any such thing about most of those. And the differences with the British and American situations are greater than their similarities. About the only one on your list that is conceivable is the Roman Empire, albeit with a few reservations.

Why would you say British and US empires are different? British Empire had control over majority of the world, had financial and military power no one could compete with, but still lost most of its influence over the years.

I would think the biggest fact is that the British Empires was made up of a number of colonies that eventually developed into their own countries. Their power and wealth was spread out all over the globe and was truly worldwide. The US is still fairly central in the resources and land that it controls, so it has the ability to retain control over the majority of its empire.

You could argue that much of its wealth is not in America, and that much of America is owned by other nationalities, but under that guise there would be no real empires anymore. As all of the wealth is now taken out of the nation and into private hands.

In reality, I think what the British Empire had was so much more impressive than what the US had/has.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Those are some of the reasons. In addition, the American 'empire' is not an empire in the normal or British sense. (see http://victorhanson.com/articles/hanson112702.html).

As well, when the British empire declined, it gave way to another power that shared the same basic cultural attributes, one that extended the hegemony of western civilization with the same general goals. Hence, Pax Britannica was succeeded (after an interval of two world wars, by Pax Americana. There is no such western-based alternative waiting in the wings should America decline.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Homeownertoo wrote:Those are some of the reasons. In addition, the American 'empire' is not an empire in the normal or British sense. (see http://victorhanson.com/articles/hanson112702.html).

As well, when the British empire declined, it gave way to another power that shared the same basic cultural attributes, one that extended the hegemony of western civilization with the same general goals. Hence, Pax Britannica was succeeded (after an interval of two world wars, by Pax Americana. There is no such western-based alternative waiting in the wings should America decline.

No replacement that's laughable. China Russia India and the Key is Iranian oil.
The only thing propping America up is the World reserve currency status they enjoy, and guess what!
Edit to add:
And their willingness to use the military to enforce their economic and political will on other nations, and so the bully will get what he has coming in the end.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

I only respond to posts that demonstrate a modicum of intelligence. The last one didn't. Sorry.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

i think the poster was right. my eyes are not on america and whats will happen with them. i look to china and india and russia. they will become the next superpowers that will eclipse and politically/economically snuff out uncle sam.

Return to “Social Concerns”