POLL: Marijuana

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Should Marijuana be decriminalized.

Yes
79%
No
19%
Maybe, need more info
3%

Total votes: 362

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: POLL: Marijuana

Post by Lady tehMa »

Well that would certainly explain the users that I know of . . . they are definitely lacking in gray matter.
I haven't failed until I quit.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

SL's last post is the sort of thing I will use to discourage drug use with my kids. I will show them evidence of harm through use in adolescence. I will encourage them to allow their bodies and minds to reach their full potential and not use mind altering substances until adulthood if they choose to.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I would hazard a guess that 99.9% of adults who use drugs started as teenagers. Chances are if you're going to experiment with drugs, you're going to do it in your teens.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

jennylives wrote:SL's last post is the sort of thing I will use to discourage drug use with my kids. I will show them evidence of harm through use in adolescence. I will encourage them to allow their bodies and minds to reach their full potential and not use mind altering substances until adulthood if they choose to.

Good approach. I'd also slap them around if they ever try it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

Centurion wrote:Three states have Cannabis legalization on their November ballots including our neighbors to the south in Washington State.

This is a problem, much like in Canada the criminalization of pot is under a Federal statute.....so good luck making a state law supersed a Federal Law....
Morgan68

Post by Morgan68 »

GoStumpy wrote:I just want my employees to stop so they're not such airhead stoners :purefury:

Then you'll just have airhead employees. Shouldnt you be glad that they like a product so much that they need constant money to buy it. And so need a job that they will work at, for chump change so you can make a profit and they can enjoy their dead end lives just a little more..
Morgan68

Post by Morgan68 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Good approach. I'd also slap them around if they ever try it.

Drug Use = Bad

Child Abuse = Good

...? What?
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:This is a problem, much like in Canada the criminalization of pot is under a Federal statute.....so good luck making a state law supersed a Federal Law....

True, but Federal agencies (DEA etc,) focus mostly on large grows, organized crime and hassling medical marijuana dispensary's. Local and State police will ignore marijuana use and possession, thus protecting personal Cannabis users from arrest and criminal penalties.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

Centurion wrote:True, but Federal agencies (DEA etc,) focus mostly on large grows, organized crime and hassling medical marijuana dispensary's. Local and State police will ignore marijuana use and possession, thus protecting personal Cannabis users from arrest and criminal penalties.

This may be true but the topic was a bill being passed to make pot legal in a specific state...that won't happen until the Federal Law is changed....then the state law may follow. Not other way around....as is the case in the example...
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:This may be true but the topic was a bill being passed to make pot legal in a specific state...that won't happen until the Federal Law is changed....then the state law may follow. Not other way around....as is the case in the example...

Yes, marijuana will still be a Federal crime and the sky is blue too btw. But lets just say hypothetically, that all three states pass legalization, will the Federal government be able plug that many proverbial holes in the dyke? If one state passes legalization, I bet the feds would lean on that state hard, but all three? With Medical Marijuana and Legalization becoming more and more popular, we will see more of these State Voter Initiatives in the future, and one or more will eventually pass. If all three states vote for legalization, I believe President Obama could very possibly legalize marijuana federally in his second term when he's a lame-duck President, plus the Democrats would get an upswing in liberal support similar to what they received when Obama came out in support of gay marriage.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

Centurion wrote:Yes, marijuana will still be a Federal crime and the sky is blue too btw. But lets just say hypothetically, that all three states pass legalization, will the Federal government be able plug that many proverbial holes in the dyke? If one state passes legalization, I bet the feds would lean on that state hard, but all three? With Medical Marijuana and Legalization becoming more and more popular, we will see more of these State Voter Initiatives in the future, and one or more will eventually pass. If all three states vote for legalization, I believe President Obama could very possibly legalize marijuana federally in his second term when he's a lame-duck President, plus the Democrats would get an upswing in liberal support similar to what they received when Obama came out in support of gay marriage.

Good points but when the Feds see where the money is coming from...they will do one of two things....follow suit or cut the head off othe snake and kill the beast. Only time will tell.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Well that didn't last long.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... &ir=Canada

According to the Times, Van der Laan told the Dutch newspaper de Volkskrant that that he had made the decision "after considering the unintended consequences that would arise from a ban, including a revival of black-market trade."

"The 1.5 million tourists will not say 'then no more marijuana', they will swarm all over the city looking for drugs," said van der Laan, who, according to the BBC, has "long opposed a ban."

"This would lead to more robberies, quarrels about fake drugs, and no control of the quality of drugs on the market -- everything we have worked towards would be lost to misery," he added.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

And locally http://www.globaltvbc.com/three-quarter ... story.html

"These results reveal a quite remarkable and growing dissatisfaction among British Columbians with the status quo and an eagerness for policymakers to pursue an entirely new approach to cannabis policy," Mario Canseco, vice-president, Angus Reid Public Opinion, said in a coalition news release.

"These beliefs cut across political, social and regional lines. I can't think of any other issue where the laws on the books are inconsistent with the wishes of three-quarters of British Columbians."
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Haha, who are the 14% that think criminal records are appropriate for a joint? Dolts
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Washington State may be do something that the Netherlands hasn't even done yet - legalize marijuana. The vote is next week.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Social Concerns”