Internet dating!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Internet dating!

Postby normaM » Jan 14th, 2018, 5:52 am

I assure you that Old Techie looks exactly like his picture :)
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3564 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 23rd, 2018, 10:11 am

Okay, enough joking around. Here is a little something I found while going over facebook:

https://m.top10bestdatingsites.ca/good- ... p_0=637950

6 Ways to Spot a Good Man on dating sites.

Only 6? But okay.
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13491 posts

Postby Queen K » Feb 6th, 2018, 11:13 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42947383

Ahhh Margaret Atwood talking about how men need a new book on dating these days. The 1950s had lots of rule books and now? Nothing.

I'm not sure there is "nothing" but she is for some reason.

Guys? Are you with this idea? Would you read one?
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Verum » Feb 7th, 2018, 1:04 am

Queen K wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42947383

Ahhh Margaret Atwood talking about how men need a new book on dating these days. The 1950s had lots of rule books and now? Nothing.

Neil Strauss wrote the book for the men dating in these recent years (actually, 13 years ago).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game:_Penetrating_the_Secret_Society_of_Pickup_Artists
It's rather illuminating. I suspect it would be rather popular with certain groups of males.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

Dizzy1 likes this post.
Verum
Übergod

Liked in: 1350 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Feb 7th, 2018, 1:44 am

Queen K wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42947383

I know a lot of guys who've read this one ...

https://www.amazon.ca/Game-Neil-Strauss/dp/0060554738

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

EDIT: I see that Verum posted the same :biggrin:

Anyway, I've got this one ...

https://www.amazon.com/Gentlemans-Book- ... 1843915413

... 19th Century Classic :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Verum likes this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5134 posts

Postby normaM » Feb 7th, 2018, 6:53 am

Poor Neil. Highly doubt he was ever a PUA .
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Postby common_sense_guy » Feb 7th, 2018, 6:17 pm

mammamoon wrote:I've been single for the last 6 months and just recently decided to re-enter the dating scene. Since I work a full time job, run my own business, and am a full time single Mom, I don't have a lot of time to get out, so someone suggested that I try Plenty of Fish.

My experiences so far are brutal. Guys messaging me asking to web cam, showing pictures of their junk, and saying pick up lines like "Nice *bleep*, wanna ____" OK- I can deal with that. Delete, delete. No biggie.

BUT!!!

Finally meet someone who is normal enough to have a conversation, decide that they seem safe enough to meet in real life, and on the first date, after a measly hour of conversation, and they are looking to make out and rip my clothes off!! And when I say "NO- I just met you!" they retort with stuff like "baby I dont know what happened in your past but don't blame me for HIM!"

This has happened a few times now (I tried not to give up so fast), and I have already cancelled and cleared my account, but I am Still left with this bitter taste in my mouth that all guys treat woman like they are cheap sex objects. If your a man reading this, your probably like "thats not me" but so did these so called nice, family guys.

I just had to rant because I have lost my faith in the art of chivalry and getting to know someone first. I think internet dating is a horrible way to waste your time and energy and I would rather be single forever, then ever end up on another date with some of the freaks out there!
:purefury:
that completely sucks and I understand how frustrating that would be. But that does seem to be normal nowadays. What I would suggest to you is have a good conversation about what's expected on the first date before going on one or agreeing to go on one. Basically what you should be letting the guys know in no uncertain terms is nothing is going to happen tonight and if you're okay with that let's meet and if not bye. No beating around the bush and don't worry about hurting their feelings. Just let them know your intentions from the start and if they can respect that or not
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)
common_sense_guy
Fledgling

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby Queen K » Feb 7th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Unfortunately she hasn't posted since 2012. I wonder what happened to her. :admin:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby normaM » Feb 8th, 2018, 6:33 am

Hope she met someone :)
Ah, POF aka Plenty of flakes. The horror stories, at least they are funny now. No point saying what do you expect from a free site because many of the same people are on paid sites as well.
CAn't blame the men for trying, I mean it must work sometimes.
My first meet was a guy who had photoshopped his pictures ( he was nearly obese) lied about everything including his name ( had been convicted of sexual assault) and got quite angry when I didn't answer his call after the disaster time ( are you leading me on?)
I nearly past out from sunstroke because I didn't want to walk to my car so he could scope out what I drove. Oh the phone, one of those toss aways.
Gotta admit for a big guy he could move like the wind, I excused myself to go to the washroom, tossed money on the Bar to cover my drink and dashed outside. Like a freakin Ninja he was right behind me LOL
Last edited by normaM on Feb 8th, 2018, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catsumi likes this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Postby Queen K » Feb 8th, 2018, 7:38 am

Oh God that's frightening. :147:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Poindexter » Feb 8th, 2018, 8:05 am

Whatever happened to knocking three time on the ceiling if you want to hook up?

That song came on the other day and I cringed at some of the lyrics because nowadays it would seem like creeping.

Hey girl what ya doin' down there
Dancin' alone every night while I live right above you?
I can hear your music playin'
I can feel your body swayin'
One floor below me you don't even know me
I love you

If you look out your window tonight
Pull in the string with the note that's attached to my heart
Read how many times I saw you
How in my silence I adored you
And only in my dreams did that wall between us come apart

:200:

It's too bad, somewhere along the way the innocence of courtship was lost and it became a scarey risk filled endeavour for women, and a desperate race to home plate for far too many men.

2 people like this post.
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4530 posts

Postby W105 » Feb 8th, 2018, 8:11 am

Knock Three Times by Tony Orlando is pretty tame when you listen to some of the rap music out there...the names that women get called in rap songs is pretty disgusting..even more disgusting is that very young boys listen to it and think it's normal to call gals those kind of names..

Catsumi likes this post.
W105
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3333 posts

Postby Queen K » Apr 18th, 2018, 4:16 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/rel ... li=AAggxAX

How badly have things changed?

I hear horror stories about dating.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby alanjh595 » Apr 18th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Queen K wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/relationships/after-my-divorce-i-decided-to-start-dating-again-%E2%80%94-and-omfg-things-have-changed-since-the-%E2%80%9990s/ar-AAw1ysA?li=AAggxAX

How badly have things changed?

I hear horror stories about dating.

I can give personal experiences as to how that statement is so TRUE.

I have sworn off of any chance of being involved in a relationship, ever again. The first couple of years were difficult, but after 10 years, I am so much better off and much happier than when I was in a relationship.
In the 1st 2 years, I discovered that sex was like air.......you didn't miss it much, until you weren't getting enough. After that, you come to the conclusion that chasing a woman is like a dog chasing a car, if he caught one, he probably wouldn't remember how to drive it.
Now, it just doesn't matter any more.
I get a greater pleasure from finding a nice piece of straight of wood at the local lumberyard. i can nail it on the 1st day, and if it doesn't work out for me, I can chop it up and chuck it into the stove and it will keep me warm for the night.
I can replace it the next day with a fresh piece, and if I like it, I make it a permanent addition to the rest of my long term commitments as a table.
I am done with relationships, I don't need them and I don't desire to have one.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3645 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Apr 19th, 2018, 12:56 pm

alanjh595...you just don"t wanna get sued for everything you have/support payments...I totally get that. :up:

I read that the ratio of men to women on dating sites is over 95% men to less than 5 % women. Don't know if that's true, but it's terrible odds if it is.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 672 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns