Internet dating!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Internet dating!

Postby mammamoon » Jun 19th, 2011, 4:55 pm

I've been single for the last 6 months and just recently decided to re-enter the dating scene. Since I work a full time job, run my own business, and am a full time single Mom, I don't have a lot of time to get out, so someone suggested that I try Plenty of Fish.

My experiences so far are brutal. Guys messaging me asking to web cam, showing pictures of their junk, and saying pick up lines like "Nice *bleep*, wanna ____" OK- I can deal with that. Delete, delete. No biggie.

BUT!!!

Finally meet someone who is normal enough to have a conversation, decide that they seem safe enough to meet in real life, and on the first date, after a measly hour of conversation, and they are looking to make out and rip my clothes off!! And when I say "NO- I just met you!" they retort with stuff like "baby I dont know what happened in your past but don't blame me for HIM!"

This has happened a few times now (I tried not to give up so fast), and I have already cancelled and cleared my account, but I am Still left with this bitter taste in my mouth that all guys treat woman like they are cheap sex objects. If your a man reading this, your probably like "thats not me" but so did these so called nice, family guys.

I just had to rant because I have lost my faith in the art of chivalry and getting to know someone first. I think internet dating is a horrible way to waste your time and energy and I would rather be single forever, then ever end up on another date with some of the freaks out there!
:purefury:
mammamoon
Fledgling

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Internet dating!

Postby MAPearce » Jun 19th, 2011, 5:11 pm

You won't find chivalry on the internet and not all men treat women like cheap sex objects.

If you don't have time to meet a man the "old fashioned way",perhaps you don't have time for the "old fashioned "type of guy your looking for anyway.
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 3008 posts

Postby kelownalongtime » Jun 19th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Don't feel bad, it happens to us men too. Usually, it's "How much money do you make?" "What kinda car you drive?", "Do you own your own home?"and "How many dates we gotta go on before I can quit my job.?.

the truth likes this post.
kelownalongtime
Board Meister

Liked in: 1 post

Postby strwbrrydvl » Jun 19th, 2011, 5:44 pm

From what I've heard some internet dating sites are more geared towards meeting folks where the goal is to "rip eachothers clothes off" - plentyoffish is one of those ones with that reputation. If you're looking for a serious relationship try match or eharmony etc ones that seem to have produced many successful long term relationships.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby kelownalongtime » Jun 19th, 2011, 5:52 pm

strwbrrydvl wrote:From what I've heard some internet dating sites are more geared towards meeting folks where the goal is to "rip eachothers clothes off" - plentyoffish is one of those ones with that reputation. If you're looking for a serious relationship try match or eharmony etc ones that seem to have produced many successful long term relationships.

I have tried all 3 with the same results. Best way to meet someone is to not be looking. I have discovered that Safeway on Lecki at PM Friday nights is a good place. Better class of people than Walmart or Superstore. Friday night because, if they had a date, they would already be there instead of buying food. PM, so that when you do meet a nice guy/girl and you manage a conversation for more than 10 minutes, you have lots of time left in the evening to go get a drink. Oh yea, go hungry so that you have a reason to go and get a snack together. 97th St. is right across the street. Good luck.
kelownalongtime
Board Meister

Postby strwbrrydvl » Jun 19th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Lol you've got it all figured out, dontcha?
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby kelownalongtime » Jun 19th, 2011, 6:06 pm

strwbrrydvl wrote:Lol you've got it all figured out, dontcha?

Been on alot of 1st dates/interviews.
kelownalongtime
Board Meister

Postby Nom_de_Plume » Jun 19th, 2011, 6:31 pm

kelownalongtime wrote:

:sillygrin:
ah but how many second ones?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Liked in: 435 posts

Postby kelownalongtime » Jun 19th, 2011, 6:35 pm

Nom_de_Plume wrote:
kelownalongtime wrote:

:sillygrin:
ah but how many second ones?

It would be a decimal place percentage. Women are like parking stalls. All the good ones are taken, the available ones are handicapped. :200:
kelownalongtime
Board Meister

Postby grammafreddy » Jun 19th, 2011, 6:53 pm

mammamoon wrote:I've been single for the last 6 months and just recently decided to re-enter the dating scene.

Ann Landers or Dear Abby would have said, "Give it a full year before you decide to enter the dating game again". Or maybe it was Dr Laura. Good advice. Right now you are just rebounding. Settle into a life with your kid(s), work, routines. Make some future plans as a single person, make some personal goals.

I used to have a female friend who was so desperate for a man in her life, her only criteria was that his knuckles didn't drag on the ground when he walked upright. In the end, the perfect person for her was a co-worker whose shoulder she used to cry on.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Liked in: 789 posts

Postby fvkasm2x » Jun 19th, 2011, 6:53 pm

The best way to meet people is the old fashioned way, as Mike said above.

Find an interest and make time for it. Join a softball team. Go to bingo/bridge/chess nights. Have a BBQ and tell all your friends to invite someone single. And so on...

For every success story about internet dating, there are probably thousands of scary stories.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 982 posts

Postby netfreak » Jun 19th, 2011, 7:01 pm

THIS IS KELOWNA. You should know better by now.
netfreak
Übergod

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby netfreak » Jun 19th, 2011, 7:02 pm

fvkasm2x wrote:The best way to meet people is the old fashioned way, as Mike said above.

Find an interest and make time for it. Join a softball team. Go to bingo/bridge/chess nights. Have a BBQ and tell all your friends to invite someone single. And so on...

For every success story about internet dating, there are probably thousands of scary stories.

A former co-worker of mine met a serial killer. Since he survived the encounter, he is now a witness against the guy.
netfreak
Übergod

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby Nom_de_Plume » Jun 19th, 2011, 7:06 pm

kelownalongtime wrote:
It would be a decimal place percentage. Women are like parking stalls. All the good ones are taken, the available ones are handicapped. :200:

:coffeecanuck: good one. although it applies to both sexes
That's why I decided years ago, that I'm absolutely contented just being single.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Liked in: 435 posts

Postby kelownalongtime » Jun 19th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Nom_de_Plume wrote:
kelownalongtime wrote:

:coffeecanuck: good one. although it applies to both sexes
That's why I decided years ago, that I'm absolutely contented just being single.

I agree. Anytime I feel lonely, I come to castanet forums and argue until I remember what it feels like to have a "significant other", and then I hit the refresh button. When I have had enough, I hit "Alt F4". I can always be sure that someone is here to tell me I am wrong, and six reasons why. They NEVER forget and will not hesitate to embarrass me without warning or just cause. I am sure that there will always be someone there to tell me "I'm an idiot".
The only difference being, I can leave whenever I want, and I don't have to sleep next to someone that is mad at me.
kelownalongtime
Board Meister

Next

Return to Social Concerns