Internet dating!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Internet dating!

Postby maryjane48 » Aug 2nd, 2017, 5:29 pm

trophy wives = trump hand size :-X
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2496 posts

Postby Queen K » Aug 2nd, 2017, 6:07 pm

How so? Usually trophy wives are associated with Trump sized bank accounts.

I was thinking that with all the Canadians living alone, no kids, how are people connecting up?
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

Barney Google likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9471 posts

Postby Osoyoos_Familyof4 » Aug 2nd, 2017, 6:58 pm

I think online dating is brilliant. I think it can be a way of "editing" out the people you aren't really going to gel with because you get a preview chance to chat a bit and you likely will get a feel about if you might want to actually date them. For men too this is nice because you don't have to lay out some money on a date (gross assumption I know, but reality) for someone you already kinda know isn't your cup of tea.

I don't actually think it's any different than really "old school" courting someone with letters. I think it can be rather charming and romantic and a way to really fall in like/love with someone's brain and not their appearance.

The downside however can be pretty gross too. I went through a separation in my marriage once a few years back that lasted about 10 months. I was curious and used POF just to see who was in my area. I was propositioned almost immediately by a few guys and it was obvious by their messages that they were just looking for a sexual hookup. They pushed me to send them "more pictures" which I never did, and they kind of got cheeky with their flirty talk and I just ended it knowing they weren't what I was after. I even received unsolicited pictures a few times from guys without their shirts etc. No thanks! I did however go on 2 very nice dates with men I don't think I ever would have met randomly in a bar or something.

I think this kind of dating is cool, I like it. I hope never to have to date again, but if I did I would do it this way for sure.

2 people like this post.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Liked in: 473 posts

Postby Barney Google » Aug 3rd, 2017, 3:39 am

From what I recall, and it's a long recollection, folks in the past met other single folks through social events like dances n

parties n group gatherings or through church or family or friends. Sometimes through work or hobby/recreational related

activities. I actually know quite a few couples, older now, who went to school together.

I guess times really have changed.

I know one thing for sure, I wouldn't want any of my family members trotting out what THEY think would be the "perfect"

person for me to date. :up:

I can see where the Internet could help 'sort through prospects' but it sure seems kinda disconnected to me.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3267 posts

Postby JayByrd » Aug 3rd, 2017, 5:19 pm

Barney, I wouldn't say connecting through online methods are "just the way it's done now" but it's pretty common, and many, but not all, people of a certain age have at least tried it. As I mentioned above, I met my wife through a dating site in 2003, but I can only think of one other couple in my circle of friends who met that way. One through church, and most of the rest at social gatherings or through mutual friends. People haven't abandoned the traditional ways of meeting someone. They're just not the only way anymore.

The main thing online dating offers is some relief from that "waiting for someone to come along". It lets people be a little more proactive.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.

3 people like this post.
JayByrd
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 958 posts

Postby Queen K » Aug 9th, 2017, 4:57 am

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203706

It was only a matter of time, the dating website for dog lovers.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9471 posts

Previous

Return to Social Concerns