Internet dating!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Internet dating!

Postby BigBadBootyDaddy » Jul 28th, 2011, 10:21 pm

I wish someone would take pity on me, lol
You don't love her because she is beautiful, she is beautiful, because you love her
BigBadBootyDaddy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Queen K » Jun 23rd, 2017, 3:54 am

AND, BUMP

Have things improved in 2017?

I was reading this article tonight and it's so awesome, an eighteen year old man, has acreage, stock, good teeth and is looking for a wife. I'd love to know how many answers he got! Or if he got married at all.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/what ... li=AAggxAX

The full ad reads:

CHANCE FOR A SPINSTER — A young man in Aroostook County, Maine, advertising for a wife speaks of himself as follows: 'I am eighteen years old, have a good set of teeth, and believe in Andy Johnson, the Star Spangled Banner, and the 4th of July. I have taken up a State lot, cleared up eighteen acres last year, and seeded ten of it down. My buckwheat looks first-rate, and the oats and potatoes are bully. I have got nine sheep, a two-year-old bull, and two heifers besides a house and a barn. I want to get married. I want to buy bread-and-butter, hoop-skirts, and waterfalls for some person of the female persuasion during life. That's what's the matter with me. But I don't know how to do it.

After the ad surfaced, Twitter was thoroughly taken with this young man and wanted to begin courting right away.
Please edit "Horgan" to "Premier Horgan" to show solidarity towards a successful tenure. Remember: The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 8836 posts

Postby What_the » Jun 23rd, 2017, 4:06 am

Uhh, have you asked your cousins?

Lol

Starts with- good teeth then yada his buck wheat looks first rate.
He wants a partner, or bare foot and pregnant?
Thinking there won't be many takers.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Liked in: 621 posts

Postby LANDM » Jun 23rd, 2017, 5:37 am

Or, there will simply be *different* takers than the ladies who would respond to someone who includes selfies of tats and gang clothing and a dickpic :D
LANDM
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2219 posts

Postby What_the » Jun 23rd, 2017, 5:44 am

Is that the projection I portray?
Far from that.

Just done the internet dating thing more times than I'd like to admit. Where I met my current girlfriend; whom I love and respect.

More to the point, I'm reading him.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Postby LANDM » Jun 23rd, 2017, 6:08 am

What_the wrote:Is that the projection I portray?
Far from that.

Just done the internet dating thing more times than I'd like to admit. Where I met my current girlfriend; whom I love and respect.

More to the point, I'm reading him.

Not at all. However, I would suspect there are far more of the extreme that I jokingly commented on than the apparently wholesome young lad who, for whatever reason, appears to yearn for the life of a different century.

It wasn't a comment on you...

Edited to add:
It appears neither of us read the link. It is actually to an 1865 newspaper ad from this lad looking for a wife. I suspect there would be no dickpics at that time. :biggrin:

What_the likes this post.
LANDM
Lord of the Board

Postby Queen K » Jun 23rd, 2017, 6:23 am

I was wondering if "bread-and-butter" meant something else, not literally bread and butter. Usually wasn't butter churned right on the farm? Or was he promising her an easier life (compared to looking after everything).
Please edit "Horgan" to "Premier Horgan" to show solidarity towards a successful tenure. Remember: The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room.

Barney Google likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Fancy » Jun 23rd, 2017, 6:26 am

I took it that he wanted to actually buy bread and butter at the local store instead of taking the time to make it themselves.

Barney Google likes this post.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 4246 posts

Postby LANDM » Jun 23rd, 2017, 8:13 am

If it was today, I would have taken it as something else....in 1865 it was likely just that. Getting bread and butter for his gal to help her out.
LANDM
Lord of the Board

Postby Queen K » Jun 23rd, 2017, 10:27 am

I don't know why I put this under internet dating. I guess the classifieds back then was as good as the internet.

What_The, I have heard of many success stories about people who meet on the 'net. It's as good as anywhere or anything.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby What_the » Jun 23rd, 2017, 11:39 am

LANDM wrote:I suspect there would be no dickpics at that time

Lol. But if there was to accompany, it would be flaccid as no one smiled back then in pictures:biggrin:

LANDM likes this post.
What_the
Übergod

Postby What_the » Jun 23rd, 2017, 11:46 am

I know QK, I'm working on ex number 4 haha. Jk. I've met some wonderful girls on internet sites. When one is middle aged and busy,Friday nights are in bed from exhausting week instead of bars, friends are all married etc. it's hard to meet the opposite sex.
What_the
Übergod

Postby JayByrd » Jun 24th, 2017, 5:03 pm

Through the mid 90's to the early 2000's, I met a number of women online (chat rooms, instant messaging) that turned into real life meetings, and some to romantic or sexual relationships. Fast forward to 2003. Now in my late 20's, I wanted to get into the dating scene, in hopes of a serious, long-term relationship. My circle of friends was static, I wasn't likely to meet a woman through any of my buddies, or through my work.

I joined Lavalife that Spring, and met a number of women in person. While there were a few I didn't care to see again (and some who felt that way about me), everyone I met was "normal" and I didn't have any bad experiences. Finally I met a gal whom I ended up marrying, and our 10 year anniversary is this fall.

There are plenty of duds on internet dating sites, but that friend of your sister, or the guy/gal who works down the hall might be weirdos too. Sometimes you just have to risk finding out.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.

4 people like this post.
JayByrd
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 914 posts

Postby Queen K » Jun 24th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Good story JayBryd.

I once asked if Castanet should have a Personals. Ha ha ya. That post got "0" responses.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Jun 24th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Personals. Humph...!! This lot on here cant even get together for PlatonicCoffee.......*bleep*...just saying..
We used to..but times are changing...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1470 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns