Internet dating!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Internet dating!

Postby Queen K » Feb 15th, 2019, 9:33 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... st-century

Trying to figure it out?
Good Luck! :laugh:

How about people who set dates up but never show? I hope you tackle that one.

Or how about people who are just surfin' for their next "supply"?
Or the earnest person who honestly doesn't know that the guy she's with at a table just texted his wife that the guys are going one more round?

GEEZ, I'd hate to be trying to figure this out from any point of view.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15607 posts

Postby JayByrd » Feb 15th, 2019, 11:21 pm

I'm 44 years old.

The vast majority of women I've ever dated, I met online. In fact, I can't think of anyone I dated before age 20 that I *didn't* meet online. And this spans every category. From hook-ups as a young, single man...women I dated once or twice, women I became involved with, even the gal I married (recently separated after 15 years together). Despite Tinder being a virtual graveyard for people my age, I used it to meet the woman I'm currently seeing. Go figure.

In the early days, it was chat rooms and instant messaging. It took some effort to find people local, but it wasn't hard to find women who were ready to mingle. Fast forward a few years to dating websites (I met my now-ex-wife on Lavalife in 2003. To my surprise that site is still around). Now some products like Tinder only exist in an app.

I never thought it was hard to figure out. Sure, there are some pitfalls to navigate, just as any form of dating ever had. You learn as you go.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.

2 people like this post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1659 posts

Postby Queen K » Jun 15th, 2019, 3:22 pm

If I'm ever single again, I plan to be really, really good at being single.

Did you see the news about the seriel killer in Cyprus? They have never had a seriel killer to their knowledge, but they have one now. Confessed to killing seven women so far. It's rocking the island to have this sad and evil presence on their island. Guess what gave the monster the best avenue? Internet dating, yup, on-line dating at its terrifying worst. Seven innocent people, six women and one girl, have been recovered by police as the killer has confessed to his crimes.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/police-fin ... -1.4408984

Investigators have been speaking with everyone the suspect had contacted online since 2016,
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby fvkasm2x » Jun 15th, 2019, 3:29 pm

JayByrd wrote:I'm 44 years old.

The vast majority of women I've ever dated, I met online. In fact, I can't think of anyone I dated before age 20 that I *didn't* meet online.

I'm really quite shocked by this honestly.

I'm 40 and barely used it at all before I got married at 28. A handful of times at best.
I couldn't even tell you what existed before POF, Tinder or whatever online dating apps there have been for the past 10 years.

Back when I used the internet from age 18-28 (pre marriage) I could only tell you about things like ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo chatrooms and Hotmail. I don't even know what you'd use for dating in 1996 to 2006 when I was online back then.

Almost all of the women I dated were either through school, community events, sports or of course... the bar lol.

I think though, it's because I find it much easier to find out if you're actually compatible with someone by talking to them, rather than by online texts and emails. 10 minutes or real conversation will tell me if I want to spend more than a night with you (or even more than those 10 minutes). Time saver IMO

Glacier likes this post.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 1681 posts

Postby normaM » Jun 16th, 2019, 6:31 am

^^^ That's why the so called experts advise moving to phone calls right away. But many people get caught up in the fantasy.. even on here there are a few who develop feelings of lust/love for someone they have never met.
Tinder has changed as people demanded... now there are profiles, etc.
Match seems to own most of the sites now.
edit to add - met the man I'm seeing now at a wedding - so if you are looking attend weddings:)
We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6491 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jun 16th, 2019, 2:14 pm

normaM wrote: But many people get caught up in the fantasy.. even on here there are a few who develop feelings of lust/love for someone they have never met.

Yup. Not that I have a lot of experience with online dating, but it is easy to develop a mental picture of what someone looks like from a description in a profile or even a description over the phone. When you finally meet them, it can be a disappointment- but it's not the other persons fault for that- it's the person that is painting a picture in their heads of what they would want...not what is.
I think it would be for the best if people didn't delay in meeting up...sooner the better...as a mental picture won't have time to be painted.
Pre internet, or even post- into the early 2000's...if they still exist(?), there were the city by city over the phone dating companies where a person would voice record their profile. Even from a voice recording, it's easy to build a mental image, and easy to be self set up for disappointment.
Texting or even talking on the phone for to long is a waste of time- go meet up right away. Do I like? Yes?...continue. No?...Next.
As mentioned...I have almost no experience at it, but I hear that for some reason some men tend to exaggerate , and sometimes out right lie about themselves( compensating?). Do women BS about themselves more, less, or about the same as men? I hear it's a scary experience for a lot of people- some say they would never do it again.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1494 posts

Postby Even Steven » Jun 16th, 2019, 2:55 pm

fvkasm2x wrote:10 minutes or real conversation will tell me if I want to spend more than a night with you (or even more than those 10 minutes). Time saver IMO

Internet gets you laid. Real time conversations get you a life mate. Sometimes one leads to the other but not very often. Also, to a lot of people getting laid is all they need, that's the goal behind dating.
Even Steven
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2481 posts

Postby JayByrd » Jun 16th, 2019, 4:11 pm

I should correct my earlier post...there isn't anyone I've dated *since* age 20 that I didn't meet online.

Online dating sites/apps are just to make connections. I think there are still people who think "internet dating" means you go on dates over the internet.

Definitely, a face to face meeting is the first step to a potential relationship. Those first few days of messaging/texting are meant to sort out if both parties want to meet. They aren't the relationship, but a precursor to it.

A young woman I know (under 25) just got engaged to a fella she initially met on Tinder. It's a real thing, and for the young, it's completely normal.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1659 posts

Postby Trixster » Jun 22nd, 2019, 7:31 am

I'm on a few internet dating sites and i have no intentions about getting into a relationship with anyone. I strictly use it for casual encounters and tell whomever i am chatting with thats all i am looking for ( nothing more, nothing less ) and most seem ok with that. Most people including myself who are fifty and over don't want anything serious.I have met some really nice people through these sites and are friends with most of them to this day.

normaM likes this post.
Trixster
Fledgling

Liked in: 93 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jun 22nd, 2019, 12:30 pm

Do you practice "safe" encounters? :D
Damn autocorrect; I'm sick and tired of your shirt.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6881 posts

Postby actontwo » Jun 22nd, 2019, 5:50 pm

I'm a late 50's male and have spent some time online dating. I consider myself to be above average looking with a successful career and told I'm easy to be around. The issue I find is most women I have met have the "I'm not going to settle" attitude. I understand that but nobody is perfect especially as we get older with life's scares. Makes it difficult at this age.

BCPickles likes this post.
actontwo

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Trixster » Jun 22nd, 2019, 5:59 pm

Ka-El wrote:Do you practice "safe" encounters? :D

Of course! Im not totally against having a relationship, she would have to be pretty special. Looks arent everything yet there has to be some attraction. Personality and humour is big in my books.
Trixster
Fledgling

Liked in: 93 posts

Postby Iamme » Jun 22nd, 2019, 6:53 pm

actontwo wrote:I'm a late 50's male and have spent some time online dating. I consider myself to be above average looking with a successful career and told I'm easy to be around. The issue I find is most women I have met have the "I'm not going to settle" attitude. I understand that but nobody is perfect especially as we get older with life's scares. Makes it difficult at this age.

I’m a mid 50’s single female and did the Match thing. My issue was the endless emails or texts and men not wanting to meet in person. That to me is huge as there needs to be the mutual attraction imho. The one I fell for is a great guy, just not invested into a relationship right now. Legit reasons though disappointing for sure for both of us. In regard to your comment ‘not wanting to settle’, for me, it’s important for me to be attracted to someone for the personality, sense of humour, similar goals in life at this stage and ya I want to be attracted to him as well similar financial security. So if that’s not wanting to settle, so be it. I’m not interested in a relationship of convenience or casual sex, fwb etc. There’s lots of people that are. It’s not for me. I’ve also been told I’m above average looking and get a lot of looks and ya comments, but truthfully, it’s like men are more comfortable staring rather than approaching. Anyway, my suggestion is the next time you see someone you’d like to say hi to, make the move. You never know. I’ve done it, then there’s the awkward moment when he says, I’m married [icon_lol2.gif] And just so you guys know, not every woman is #metoo . Just sayin :admin:
Iamme
Fledgling

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby Queen K » Jun 22nd, 2019, 8:43 pm

https://www.image.ie/life/trope-crazy-e ... qiTEchBqjo

An interesting read for women and men getting back into the dating world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Robert7461 » Jun 22nd, 2019, 10:46 pm

Queen K wrote:An interesting read for women and men getting back into the dating world.

It's not interesting at all, Lisa.
Robert7461
Fledgling

Liked in: 228 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns