Internet dating!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Internet dating!

Postby sooperphreek » Jun 29th, 2011, 6:47 pm

guess the balance is all the ninja mental anguish and stress women place on men so they have to grab their arms and be "abusive". Generalization intended.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 411 posts

Postby Nom_de_Plume » Jun 29th, 2011, 6:50 pm

Really with the negative opinion each gender has against the other it's a wonder people bother to try to get together for more than a fling at all.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Liked in: 453 posts

Postby sooperphreek » Jun 29th, 2011, 6:52 pm

ya we might as well buy the garbage that gays and lesbians try to force feed society and just be "normal" like them!
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 411 posts

Postby Nom_de_Plume » Jun 29th, 2011, 6:55 pm

sooperphreek wrote:ya we might as well buy the garbage that gays and lesbians try to force feed society and just be "normal" like them!

Can't do it.
never been attracted to my same gender at all.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Postby mammamoon » Jun 29th, 2011, 10:48 pm

no need to start this conversation going down the path of whether or not being gay is normal or abnormal! Bottom line, is even if your gay or straight, we all have relationship issues, and gays have just as hard of a time dating online or in person as hetero's do and are we all not just human after all? Rather than argue whether we substitue the subject for male or female, straight or gay...its all the same big pile of crap anyways.

Yeeeeesh, come on now! im shocked that any of you would even dare to bring that mute point into this conversation!

#13 Can't hold down a job longer than 3 months at a time, and spends endless hours second hand store shopping all day long, spending the hard earned money you got from working two jobs, while 7 months pregnant, and after paying for them to go to Italy for 2 months for a special archeological dig, that they had always dreamed of doing. (oh wait I guess you can't swap he for she in this one...oops) :runforlife: LOL!
mammamoon
Fledgling

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Star Light » Jun 30th, 2011, 4:15 pm

:127: Am I ever glad I met my hubby when I did, no internet dating back then. Been together 34 years, heck he even married me twice :dyinglaughing: yet this is a story for another time.
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
Star Light
Guru

Liked in: 76 posts

Postby Decoy Doctorpus » Jun 30th, 2011, 4:19 pm

fvkasm2x wrote:The best way to meet people is the old fashioned way, as Mike said above.

Find an interest and make time for it. Join a softball team. Go to bingo/bridge/chess nights. Have a BBQ and tell all your friends to invite someone single. And so on...

For every success story about internet dating, there are probably thousands of scary stories.

I'd argue the same thing about old fashioned dates. For every good date there's a thousand bad ones. The difference being you don't have to see 'that dude from the internet' at every softball meet you go to.

Not to sound haughty or anything but I think people actively looking for a relationship perhaps don't have their priorities quite right. Be comfortable by and with yourself and you're far more likely to pull someone who isn't a creep.
Decoy Doctorpus

Postby BigBadBootyDaddy » Jul 27th, 2011, 1:16 am

Not everyone is comfortable out in public and going up to someone and just start to talk. I once thought internet dating was the way to go, but now Im not so sure. A lot of people on there say they want a great, honest, caring guy. Well do they, or dont they? I am all those things, but once they find out what I look like, poof, thats it. Now, I dont think Im bad looking, I do have some things about me I dont like, but hey, so does everyone, and Im working on myself. Anyway, thats my rant, thanks for listening
You don't love her because she is beautiful, she is beautiful, because you love her
BigBadBootyDaddy
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Nom_de_Plume » Jul 27th, 2011, 6:24 am

I hear ya BigBadBootyDaddy, unfortunately there are shallow people everywhere.
Us "unhotties" have a tougher row to hoe, and have to have more personality to make up for the lack of looks.
If I've had a couple of conversations with a person and find they pique my interest, I send a picture of myself to get that whole looks thing out of the way before I become too emotionally engaged.
If at that time they let me know that they think they may have left the gas on and have to go, then I know they're not worth my time.
It used to upset me years ago, but now I'm happy to believe it's their loss.(I have superpowers of delusion.)
I know I'm awesome, I'm just not super attractive. Meh, C'est La Vie!!
Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince/princess.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
~ Terry Pratchett
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Postby mammamoon » Jul 27th, 2011, 1:55 pm

I think it would be a hard life if you were super good looking. You would constantly have people hitting on you, wanting to date you, your phone would always have messages, you become addicted to your blackberry, or iphone. You wouldn't know if people liked you for you, or if they were just dating you for your looks. You would always have to be turning people down, and that would end up hurting them, or loosing friendships over it because everyone hits on you when you go out with your friends, and they are jealous. You would be always end up having nasty rumours made up about you, so that people around you could feel better about themselves. Or guys will just assume because your beautiful that your a *bleep*. Everyone would be trying to get in your pants, rather than talk about the state of world, or other "interesting" topics....

so be careful what you wish for. :bump:
mammamoon
Fledgling

Postby oneh2obabe » Jul 27th, 2011, 2:03 pm

Actually the opposite is true. Beautiful people have a harder time getting dates than others. People are afraid to approach the so-called beautiful people thinking they will be rebuffed because they aren't as attractive as them.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 5692 posts

Postby mammamoon » Jul 27th, 2011, 2:15 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:Actually the opposite is true. Beautiful people have a harder time getting dates than others. People are afraid to approach the so-called beautiful people thinking they will be rebuffed because they aren't as attractive as them.

oh soooo thats why I can't find a date!! LOL Oh jeeeze :)
mammamoon
Fledgling

Postby oneh2obabe » Jul 27th, 2011, 7:55 pm

If you say so.

Check out some of the studies and you'll see that "beautiful" people are often quite lonely because nobody wants to approach them for fear of being rejected. Then again there are men who want a trophy wife and as soon as the looks start to go she's traded in for a newer model.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 5692 posts

Postby Bpeep » Jul 27th, 2011, 8:17 pm

mammamoon wrote:I think it would be a hard life if you were super good looking. You would constantly have people hitting on you, wanting to date you, your phone would always have messages, you become addicted to your blackberry, or iphone. You wouldn't know if people liked you for you, or if they were just dating you for your looks. You would always have to be turning people down, and that would end up hurting them, or loosing friendships over it because everyone hits on you when you go out with your friends, and they are jealous. You would be always end up having nasty rumours made up about you, so that people around you could feel better about themselves. Or guys will just assume because your beautiful that your a *bleep*. Everyone would be trying to get in your pants, rather than talk about the state of world, or other "interesting" topics....

so be careful what you wish for. :bump:

^^^^^ I have all the above problems, and I'm a mutt.
If you are reading this, you are not Amish.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 9582 posts

Postby normaM » Jul 28th, 2011, 5:55 pm

LOL.
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2392 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns