deleted

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Responding to open racism

Post by fluffy »

Interesting to note that blatant racism of the sort described here comes just about exclusively from groups rather than individuals.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

nteresting to note that blatant racism of the sort described here comes just about exclusively from groups rather than individuals.

to call someone a racist with out recorded proof would be slander,if you go to any thread dealing with other culture you will see the stereotypes flow like water.
Peace be with you.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

What I meant was that the sort of open slurs being shouted out as described in the OP come from groups rather than an individual acting alone, which might indicate that the racism is merely a vehicle for an emotionally weak individual seeking to impress his peers.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

What I meant was that the sort of open slurs being shouted out as described in the OP come from groups rather than an individual acting alone, which might indicate that the racism is merely a vehicle for an emotionally weak individual seeking to impress his peers.

If you mean racists are cowards and need to be in group or elderly to feel safe enough to spew their fear and hate verbally .i would agree .
Peace be with you.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

kibbs wrote:Racism is very real and alive. What do you do when someone tells an Indian joke ?Do you laugh or say that's not cool .

What do Indians do when they're joking about whites? It's pathetic how when racism is brought up, it's automatically assumed that's it's the whites who are racist which is in fact racist itself.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

LANDM wrote:What an interesting thread. Someone posts something and immediately their credibility is called into question. An uncomfortable topic and it must be trolling. Whether it happened this way or it was embellished, it is something that anyone who has lived for more than 20 years *must* have encountered whether in Kelowna or any other city.
The funniest part was questioning their ethnicity because their english and grammar were "too good".

Take a look through any thread on these forums and look at the grammar, spelling etc.
If that is any indication, then this must be a truly multi-ethnic forum and not at all representative of the demographics of Kelowna since the predominant white people would never write like that (according to the logic of that poster).

I have seen many many instances where people of different ethnic backgrounds write and speak english in a very proper way because they actually had to *learn* it. There is no better way.

As an answer to the OP, I don't know the best way of dealing with that as I have never had to deal with it. If it's a bunch of drunk people, then confrontation would be a bit silly unless it is a situation where you would feel safe. Otherwise, ignoring or recognizing in a disdainful way would confirm that you heard them but don't acknowledge their point of view. Good question though, and it's too bad you didn't get many actual answers.

Agreed - best answer yet! To the OP, I would chalk it up to a really, really crappy day...not everyone is like that.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

tell me a white joke ,to natives the way we think we are superior is a joke,one quarter of kelowna was Chinese at one time.they were driven out,we once had a sign that said Welcome to Kelowna coastal japs not welcome go home.if we forget history it repeats itself,
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

zzontar wrote:It's pathetic how when racism is brought up, it's automatically assumed that's it's the whites who are racist which is in fact racist itself.

Agree there. Guess it depends on where and who is involved. There's got to be a better way to handle racism than getting one's back up like a witty answer.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

we all are to a degree .its to be fought not accepted .even recognized in ourselves.the place is kelowna the time is now.the attitude is back about 50 years on par
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

People aren't born racist but sometimes it's understandable why some become intolerant. The playing field needs to be equal for all but that's not realistic so the best way is to learn how to deal with it in an effective manner.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

When I was in school, one day a native indian kid's big brother
punched my older brother in the face and gave him a bleeding nose.
For years after that, my brother was a racist. That's where racism
comes from - one or more really bad experiences.

There is something that gives us immunity to racism - having a really
good friend that is other nationality. One of my best friends is Chinese.
Even if I might like to make negative comments about Chinese sometimes,
I can't do it. Often I've found when someone has a bad experience with one nationality,
God ( or whatever you believe in) makes someone of that nationality to do something
good for you.

Let's say the thing that was done, was so extremely terrible - like what was happening
in WW2, when 60 million people were killed, and it was Germans on one side, and Polish or Russian
on the other side - slaughtering each other. That's going to produce racism for anyone who was there, I don't care
what anyone says. And it might never go away after fifty years. I had a racist friend in school who hated Russians.
His father was in Hungary in 1956 when Russia invaded with tanks and probably tried to shoot him.

So, what people say is cowardly and racist, usually began with a really bad unfortunate experience someone
suffered. When I was going to church and not thinking clearly, one family did the two-faced thing on me so
perfectly, they extracted thousands of dollars from me, then laughed in my face - IN CHURCH.

I know I won't say nice things about those people's nationality for many many years. Does that make me a racist?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's a difference between bullies and racists though they can be one and the same.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

kibbs wrote:
If you mean racists are cowards and need to be in group or elderly to feel safe enough to spew their fear and hate verbally .i would agree .

Would you feel safe in Compton if I dropped you off at a bar there?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Thinktank wrote:When I was in school, one day a native indian kid's big brother
punched my older brother in the face and gave him a bleeding nose.
For years after that, my brother was a racist. That's where racism
comes from - one or more really bad experiences.

There is something that gives us immunity to racism - having a really
good friend that is other nationality. One of my best friends is Chinese.
Even if I might like to make negative comments about Chinese sometimes,
I can't do it. Often I've found when someone has a bad experience with one nationality,
God ( or whatever you believe in) makes someone of that nationality to do something
good for you.

Let's say the thing that was done, was so extremely terrible - like what was happening
in WW2, when 60 million people were killed, and it was Germans on one side, and Polish or Russian
on the other side - slaughtering each other. That's going to produce racism for anyone who was there, I don't care
what anyone says. And it might never go away after fifty years. I had a racist friend in school who hated Russians.
His father was in Hungary in 1956 when Russia invaded with tanks and probably tried to shoot him.

So, what people say is cowardly and racist, usually began with a really bad unfortunate experience someone
suffered. When I was going to church and not thinking clearly, one family did the two-faced thing on me so
perfectly, they extracted thousands of dollars from me, then laughed in my face - IN CHURCH.

I know I won't say nice things about those people's nationality for many many years. Does that make me a racist?

If someone is raised by racist parents or racist grandparents it can have a huge impact as well. One of my friends hosted an exchange student from some small town in Quebec years ago, and she told us that everyone in her family hated three groups of people, Americans, Ontario-nians (sp?) and Canadians, in that order. When I asked her why, she said she didn't know,m they were just raised that way.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Should those children been taken from the home then?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.

Return to “Social Concerns”