deleted

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: Responding to open racism

Post by averagejoe »

Don't make statements you can't back up.....

SurplusElect wrote:
Western Culture started with slavery.

Historians estimate that between 10 and 18 million Africans were enslaved by Arab slave traders and taken across the Red Sea, Indian Ocean, and Sahara desert between 650 and 1900.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

I guess that makes two of you.

I dislike typo police, but was pointing it out to show that people who were saying that racism isn't that bad in the valley were being racist in a thread about racism, lol.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Jan 15th, 2013, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

averagejoe wrote:Don't make statements you can't back up.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade

I know Ive gotten under your bonnet - but what are you talking about???

You mentioned how "my agenda" (which is against racism btw) is looking to destroy "western culture" so I pointed out that "Western Culture" was founded in African Slaves and of course "taking advantage of" Natives.

So again, Kelowna is racist and that sucks. I don't tolerate "old boys club" conversations, walk away and tell people they are ignorant.

Probably cost me a few contracts, but oh well.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Jan 15th, 2013, 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

underscore wrote: Kelowna has nothing on Ontario when it comes to racism towards the French. But then again, they hear a lot more about the separatist silliness.

I flew into Quebec City a few years back. I needed to get a cab. The drivers were huddled together talking in English. When I asked for a cab to go downtown. All of a sudden they couldn't speak English. French only. Was that racism? Was that an Quebec City old boys club?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

So SurplusElect......Is my experience regarding Quebec City racism or/and an old boys club that you complaint about?

SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

averagejoe wrote:So SurplusElect......Is my experience regarding Quebec City racism or/and an old boys club that you complaint about?

#1 rule of traveling.

1. Always *try* to speak the local language. Even if you butcher it, locals will be much more helpful.

I would classify your experience as "lack of traveling experience/knowledge".

The OP poster was complaining about slurs and violent language. Your annoyed that you had a hard time getting people to speak english in a primarily french region, and think it's racism. Disconnect +1.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

From your own words.......

SurplusElect wote:

When I moved to Kelowna from a more progressive part of the country, I was amazed at the attitudes towards East Indians, Asians, Homosexuals and the French.

I was amazed at the attitudes towards English in Quebec? Don't try and think it only happens in Kelowna. This happens in every village, town city, province/state around the world.

SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

There is a difference between you finding it hard to find a English speaking cabbie in a primarily french region and a Chinese person being heckled and hearing violent language directed their way.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

SurplusElect wrote:
#1 rule of traveling.

1. Always *try* to speak the local language. Even if you butcher it, locals will be much more helpful. I'm very respectful of other cultures I teach on reserves up north

I would classify your experience as "lack of traveling experience/knowledge". I have flown over 800 times in my life. I have been 25 states, Europe twice, Mexico many, many times and 6 cruises. I have traveled and that was the only time that anything like that has happened.

The OP poster was complaining about slurs and violent language. Your annoyed that you had a hard time getting people to speak english in a primarily french region, and think it's racism. I had no problem with them actuality. I just thought that they were just disrespectful. I didn't whine about racism.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

SurplusElect wrote:There is a difference between you finding it hard to find a English speaking cabbie in a primarily french region and a Chinese person being heckled and hearing violent language directed their way.

Are you making all this up? Or were you just brainwashed in school?

SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

averagejoe wrote:I have flown over 800 times in my life. I have been 25 states, Europe twice, Mexico many, many times and 6 cruises. I have traveled and that was the only time that anything like that has happened.[/color]

...800 times, well traveled and tried to speak English *first* to a cabbie in Quebec...

averagejoe wrote: I just thought that they were just disrespectful.
averagejoe wrote:I didn't whine about racism.

averagejoe wrote:So SurplusElect......Is my experience regarding Quebec City racism or/and an old boys club that you complaint about?

LOL.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

SurplusElect wrote:
...800 times, well traveled and tried to speak English *first* to a cabbie in Quebec...Oh ya racism is only for English Canada. I forgot.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

underscore wrote:...But then again, they hear a lot more about the separatist silliness.

Which is basically anti-english racism. Negativity breeds negativity.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

underscore wrote:Remember this jackass? I'm pretty much of what he did was based on racism.

So the part Jewish Hitler killed 20 million Russians because of racism?
then why did the part Austrian Hitler kill the Dutch ? Racism?
He killed the French. Racism? They bombed britain. Racism?
Was the war in Africa because of racism?
And Italy joined the war because of racism? The Japanese killed Chinese because of racism?
Japanese bombed pearl harbour because of racism?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Wouldn't persecution of the jewish people be considered racist?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Social Concerns”