deleted

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
chyoo85

deleted

Post by chyoo85 »

deleted
Last edited by chyoo85 on Nov 3rd, 2015, 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Re: Responding to open racism

Post by wthwyt »

It is sad to see and hear something that should not be happening to anyone. Unfortunately society still has an area's of bad apples that does not represent whole.
I am sorry that you have encounter so many in 1 day.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sounds made up.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

Captain Awesome wrote:Sounds made up.

I kind of agree. I find it odd that suddenly so many people decided to terrorize minorities today, considering most everyone in Kelowna is seemingly liberal or too self-centered to bother looking at you. Not saying it can't happen though...
chyoo85

deleted

Post by chyoo85 »

deleted
Last edited by chyoo85 on Nov 3rd, 2015, 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
chyoo85

deleted

Post by chyoo85 »

deleted
Last edited by chyoo85 on Nov 3rd, 2015, 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Captain Awesome wrote:Sounds made up.

I have friends who range from not racist at all, to slightly racist, to fairly racist.

I've never heard ANY of them say something racist to someone's face. For the most part, racists are cowards and know that their beliefs are viewed as wrong.

I found it somewhat shocking that this person would encounter so many fully open racists in her daily life, but I never really considered this might be made up. Then when I read your comment, I went back and read the initial post again.

The English and typing is almost flawless. Her use of grammar, spelling, etc... are better than 95% of the "white" people using these forums. I also know several adult Asian ESL teachers who cannot use their English abilities as well as this "student."

Call me skeptical as well.
vmichelle
Fledgling

Post by vmichelle »

I'm so sorry you had to face that much hatred and negativity. I think a lot of people here don't see this ugly side of the community purely because they aren't part of a racial minority. Before I decided to move to Kelowna I did some research and everything that I came across spoke about the racism in the community and I couldn't believe it until I moved here. I think the reason its so present is due to the fact that there is an overwhelming white majority. From growing up in Calgary I saw a variety of different races every day and once I moved here I was surprised by how white the city really is. Maybe the racism comes from the fact that a lot of the people that live here just aren't used to seeing minorities.

fvkasm2x wrote:The English and typing is almost flawless. Her use of grammar, spelling, etc... are better than 95% of the "white" people using these forums. I also know several adult Asian ESL teachers who cannot use their English abilities as well as this "student."

As for the flawless English. One of my really good friends who's living here to go to school is from China and has lived there all his life. He has only lived here for 3 years now while working on his degreee, but his English is better than most people I know who were born and raised here. It wasn't something he picked up here...he was fluent in English before he had moved to Canada.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

fvkasm2x wrote: I also know several adult Asian ESL teachers who cannot use their English abilities as well as this "student."

I earned a graduate certificate in TESL (have never used it for employment purposes) and during some practicum work found many ESL students who were far more proficient with the use of English than many typical Canadians - and would, for example, never make the common mistakes many posters here on these boards repeat over and over again.

EDIT TO ADD: I am also sorry the OP had to experience such ignorant ugliness.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

fvkasm2x wrote:The English and typing is almost flawless. Her use of grammar, spelling, etc... are better than 95% of the "white" people using these forums. I also know several adult Asian ESL teachers who cannot use their English abilities as well as this "student."

I can't help but feel this comment is....racist. It sounds like you find it difficult to believe anyone who is not "white" is capable of almost "flawless" English...
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

coffeeFreak wrote:

I can't help but feel this comment is....racist. It sounds like you find it difficult to believe anyone who is not "white" is capable of almost "flawless" English...

Or...

It sounds like it reads: the 5 or 6 adult teachers (Korean and Chinese) I know don't have the English skills that this person does.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I call BS on this whole topic. Look, Okanagan peeps can be pretty racist in their own ignorant way just due to lack of contact with other races - being that it`s the whitest place in Canada probably. People here don`t hate other people for being different, they just know very little about them and it shows when you talk to them in a form of sometimes borderline insulting ignorance but it`s rarely meant to be insulting - they just don`t know any better.

But openly telling somebody to get out of the country or calling them racist terms like `chink` is questionable to me. I think this poster is simply trolling and trying to start something for his own amusement. I also suspect that it`s another poster posting under a different name.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Captain Awesome wrote:But openly telling somebody to get out of the country or calling them racist terms like `chink` is questionable to me

you're an immigrant yourself aren't you? Perhaps that's why you haven't witnessed this behaviour, growing up in whitey Canada I have seen and heard this crap spewed by people I'm embarrased to call canadian. Whether your call on the post is accurate or not the fact remains it does happen, so to me the OP is totally plausible.

it's not at all uncommon for asian kids to be educated in English as well, particularily for the more affluent.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

WhatThe wrote:
it's not at all uncommon for asian kids to be educated in English as well, particularily for the more affluent.

Agreed, but would go one step further and say it's actually uncommon for an Asian kid to NOT learn English.
mammamoon
Fledgling

Post by mammamoon »

I am not sure if this post is credible or not either but I wouldn't be so brash to say that people who are visably different then the Okanagan status quo (ie. chinese, black, asian, spanish, native, etc...) are not subject of open racism. I was married to a half native man, who was mistaken all the time for being south asian, spanish, muslim etc...many many times throughout our marriage he was subjected to racism, plus growing up in a small town in Nothern Ontario, he has had to deal with complete ignorence his whole bloody life. (does wear on a person's spirit a little bit) A few times, we got gawked at because we were an interacial couple, and it was the most horrible feeling in the world.

To the OP, I am sorry you had to listen to your stupid neighbours, next time don't wast another minute listening to their alcohol fuelled verbal garbage. Canada was built upon many different cultures coming together to populate the vast wilderness of the north. Many people don't realize that without asian immigrents we wouldn't have the CN railway for example. Just keep doing what your doing and believe that most people are good at heart, just have loose lips and repeat bad opinions they heard from others whom shouldnt have them in the first place. :cursor:

Return to “Social Concerns”