Take that political correctness crap and...

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Take that political correctness crap and...

Post by fvkasm2x »

Well you can shove it wherever you want.

The US and one of their consular diplomats were forced to apologize for calling the people of India dirty. Here are her comments:

"Some 20 years ago, I was a student like you and had an opportunity to do a semester abroad," Chao told the students, India's NDTV reported. "I chose to come to India, fascinated by the culture and religion."

"I traveled across villages to understand the culture better. I was amazed at the graciousness and friendliness of the people," she continued, before describing a long train journey, during which her remarks went -- so to speak -- off the rails.

"I was on a 24-hour train trip from Delhi to Orissa," the eastern Indian state, Chao continued, according to Agence-France Press. "But, after 72 hours, the train still did not reach the destination ... and my skin became dirty and dark like the Tamilians."

Anyone with half a brain knows what she meant. She in no way, shape or form called Indians dirty. Anyone, in any country, would feel dirty after being on a train for 72 hours without a shower. Especially in humid and hot weather.

I am so sick of this PC crap that happens every day, you have no idea.
Last edited by fvkasm2x on Aug 17th, 2020, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Re: Take that PC crap and...

Post by StraitTalk »

Came here expecting rant about personal computers.

pc = politically correct :eyeballspin:
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

lol, came here thinking the same thing. Was like...PC crap? We're not moving the OS Debates to Social Concerns now are we?

Political correctness is really annoying, and I often think unnecessary. For a diplomat however, they need to take extra care. Foreign relations or people in any kind of political situation tend to have a much larger audience, and a greater chance to offend people. Even if the diplomat knows what they meant, and intelligent people know what they meant, the stupid people don't, and they'll take it and bend it.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
SassySasquatch
Board Meister

Post by SassySasquatch »

No - it means you belong to one race of human beings on this planet Earth and since we all share it with everyone else, show some damn respect for others.
"...always keep your mind and heart open." - Henry Fonda
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

and my skin became dirty and dark like the Tamilians

Yes, she called them dirty. She did 100%.

She was refering to people from that country, not to her fellows on the train.

Tamilians can clean as much as they want, their skin will keep the same "dirt" and "dark" color. (I simply rephrased the above quote).
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Maybe what she said just needed a comma in the sentence ...

"and my skin became dirty, and dark like the Tamilians"
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

It was not a very diplomatic remark for a diplomat!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

UCLA Conservative Professor May Be Fired From Job For Refusing to Cave In to Political Correctness

The University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) administration is allegedly trying to sack an outspoken conservative professor for his resistance to political correctness.

Keith Fink, a UCLA professor who teaches classes on entertainment law and free speech, fears the university could an upcoming professional review to help push him out of the institution.

Fink has previously caused waves on campus by refusing to embrace trigger warnings and safe spaces, prompting the university to block some students from taking his classes.

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/ucla-co ... rrectness/
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

grammafreddy wrote:Maybe what she said just needed a comma in the sentence ...

"and my skin became dirty, and dark like the Tamilians"

Exactly. She got dirty and her skin was dark. Dark like the Tamilians.

It's just like someone getting a dark tan and saying they look Mexican or something. Maybe not something you want to say if you are a high ranking official or to the media, simply because you KNOW someone will whine, but it's not offensive.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

How about this one: TWO full years later this license plate is offensive to Native Indians. Now if the man went around and said stuff like, "I don't think natives even know what Star Trek is" I can see it. But no, he is a Star Trek fan and got a unique plate for two years.

This PC stuff is over the top. https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#195661

Same for that man who was told his surname on his licence plate was offensive to women. Graber is suddenly offensive? He was on CBC talking about the absurd implications for him and his family.

I wonder how he's doing now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

LOL, the guy's name is Troller!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

BUMP

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/10/us/white- ... index.html

Okay, they posted guards outside the guys classroom.

He's teaching White Racism: what it is, how it's gone down in history and how to reverse it (Hint: creating social justice warriors).

His class of fifty seats filled up!
No shortage of students there.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Queen K wrote:BUMP

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/10/us/white- ... index.html

Okay, they posted guards outside the guys classroom.

He's teaching White Racism: what it is, how it's gone down in history and how to reverse it (Hint: creating social justice warriors).

His class of fifty seats filled up!
No shortage of students there.

Sounds like an interesting course and the responses to it sure do demonstrate, as if we needed such, that racism is alive and well in America. It's such a shame that some precious snowflakes (not intended as a reference to their colour) got so butt hurt over the title of the course, maybe if they took it and understood the material they would change their minds. I guess they want a safe-space where their delicate beliefs don't get challenged, but it's a bit much to expect an entire University to be such.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I actually understand the concept and the potential for misunderstandings, all too well as my previous university classes have shown.

Return to “Social Concerns”