Religious "insane" accomodations in Canada.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Religious "insane" accomodations in Canada.

Post by French Castanut »

Have we gone too far???

Disclaimer: This thread has potential explosive capabilities due to angryness. Please keep it respectful and please post your sources.

Here's an example. Please post more of your findings :-)

In Quebec, schools and businesses don't say "Merry Christmas", or "Happy New Year" anymore, because of the religious accomodations. We have to say "Happy Holidays" in order not to hurt the non-christians, but mostly to accomodate the jews and arabics that decided to come and live in our beautiful country.

The governement removed all the crucifix from all schools, because they want the schools to show no religious symbols. But as a person, you can wear religious symbols on you, which includes dangerous possible threat knifes, called "kirpans".

Do you think we've gone too far in our "religious accomodations"? or should anyone be allowed to wear any religious symbols for freedom of speech?

What other examples comes to your mind?

Edit (sources):
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/kirpan/
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/shows/byline.html
Last edited by French Castanut on Nov 13th, 2011, 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Re: Religious "insane" accomodations in Canada.

The city of Hampstead (on Montreal's Island) have a by-law that makes illegal for residents to do noise during Jewish Holidays. Which includes cutting the grass...

85% of Hampstead residents are Jews.

CBC Story:

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Canada/M ... D=14480547

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... hanah.html
Last edited by French Castanut on Nov 13th, 2011, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

maththetraveller wrote:"Happy New Year", because of the religious accomodations.

Why no "happy new year"???
That's not a religious thing at all.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

A YMCA fitness center in Montreal had to tint it's windows in a way to block anyone from seeing inside the gym, because the members of the Jewish Synagogue accross the street found the fitness clothing viewing to be offensive while people were running on threadmills.

A CBC story:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... sidim.html
Last edited by French Castanut on Nov 11th, 2011, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I've always wondered... if, around Christmas, you say "Happy Holiday," which holiday are you talking about?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Quarsar386 wrote:Chinese New Year is not until Febuary.

Yup.

That raises more questions: Should the City of Toronto remove all the religious "New Year" statue and religious chinese symbols from it's beautiful Spadina Ave Chinatown, in order not to hurt Christians and other denominancies?

If not, why do we tolerate?

French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Nom_de_Plume wrote:
maththetraveller wrote:"Happy New Year", because of the religious accomodations.

Why no "happy new year"???
That's not a religious thing at all.

Thanks, I removed it from my post I wrote it by memory, then I did some internet research and posted my sources.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Always in Montreal, a female cop CAN'T question a Jewish driver because these guys don't deal with womans, it's their religion that prohibits them to do so.

The female cop have to call a male cop in order to process with the question, give a ticket or do an arrest.

CBC Story:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... sidim.html
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Also, if you are Muslim, you can punch people who try to take a picture of you.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Captain Awesome wrote:Also, if you are Muslim, you can punch people who try to take a picture of you.

ha ha - yeah right CA...whoops, I forgot, this is Canuckistan, where anything is possible...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... arges.html
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
DerKaiser
Board Meister

Post by DerKaiser »

...and this is why multiculturalism doesn't work...
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

and this is also why there will never be "world peace".
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

DerKaiser wrote:...and this is why multiculturalism doesn't work...

I don't know, there's an RCMP officer out there wearing a turban, and the world hasn't came crashing down.

May be in some peoples' heads it did, but hey...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

So what happens when the rights of the few collide with the rights of the many? I don't see a problem with having the freedom to indulge religious beliefs, but the issue gets muddied when one groups wants concessions from another group based on religious beliefs the second group does not share. Based on that reasoning, I think it was the right move to get Christian religious practice out of the public school system, as well as technically removing the Christian focus from December holidays. There was recently some hubbub about Muslim students want special areas and scheduling in schools to accommodate specific prayer time. This doesn't sit right, it's not much different that saying the Lord's prayer every morning, which was the standard practice when I was in public elementary school.

FYI - Chinese New Year can fall anywhere between January 21 and February 20. It's based on something called the Lunisolar Calendar and falls on the second new moon after the winter solstice.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

-fluffy- wrote:So what happens when the rights of the few collide with the rights of the many? I don't see a problem with having the freedom to indulge religious beliefs, but the issue gets muddied when one groups wants concessions from another group based on religious beliefs the second group does not share. Based on that reasoning, I think it was the right move to get Christian religious practice out of the public school system, as well as technically removing the Christian focus from December holidays...

Therein lies the chafing rub on this topic...

The "holyday" was established previously as "Christmas"...

The point of the holyday was to celebrate the life of a christian figure.

Due to Liberal sensitivities, the expression of this holyday has now been subverted under the guise of consumerism and let's face it, the original point of the holyday's message is largely lost.

There is no point now to continue this holyday if it's founding principle can no longer be expressed or acknowledge as it's intended purpose.

Just another work day...
Infinite rider on the big dogma...

Return to “Social Concerns”