Religious "insane" accomodations in Canada.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Religious "insane" accomodations in Canada.

Post by Corneliousrooster »

5VP wrote:Just another work day...

How about - just another statutory day off with pay.........
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

When I was in elementry school here in the mid 1980's (South Rutland elem) the Bible was read every morning followed by the singing of Oh Canada. Anyone remember when this was no longer happening?
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

5VP wrote:The "holyday" was established previously as "Christmas"...

The point of the holyday was to celebrate the life of a christian figure.

Due to Liberal sensitivities, the expression of this holyday has now been subverted under the guise of consumerism and let's face it, the original point of the holyday's message is largely lost.

Nah. It just so happens that to a lot of people Christmas doesn't mean much - they are born in different cultures, religions, or mindset. Yet they continue to celebrate end of the year holidays. So, it only makes sense to do away with "Jesus, Jesus is born!" Christmas and replace it with "Yay, it's end of the year, let's hang out and eat tasty food" holidays.

In that retrospect, I support Christmas being replaced by generic holidays.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Libelle wrote:When I was in elementry school here in the mid 1980's (South Rutland elem) the Bible was read every morning followed by the singing of Oh Canada. Anyone remember when this was no longer happening?

Back in Quebec we never had the national anthem played in school. Nor Bible reading.

But I remember in 3rd grade, the teacher was doing the "dear father" prayer before every class.

She must have been old, since she was also my mom's teacher when my mom was in 3rd grade. Hahaha.

And she's still alive today, I saw her a couple months ago in town.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

maththetraveller wrote:Have we gone too far???

Disclaimer: This thread has potential explosive capabilities due to angryness. Please keep it respectful and please post your sources.

Here's an example. Please post more of your findings :-)

In Quebec, it's now illegal for schools and businesses to say "Merry Christmas", ""Happy New Year"

Care to back up that ludicrous claim?
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

Captain Awesome wrote:In that retrospect, I support Christmas being replaced by generic holidays.

Me too!
CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Post by CorkSoaker »

Homeownertoo wrote:

Disclaimer: This thread has potential explosive capabilities due to angryness. Please keep it respectful and please post your sources.

In Quebec, it's now illegal for schools and businesses to say "Merry Christmas", ""Happy New Year"

I too was wondering about that. Perhaps its just frowned upon (like everywhere else) as I couldn't see it being illegal because that would be a charter violation.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

It is often said that truth is the first casualty of any war
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Obviously.

I luv it when people make hard and fast statements that are absurd.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Homeownertoo wrote:Obviously.

I luv it when people make hard and fast statements that are absurd.

Haha. I did a bit of googling and couldn't find anything about it. It sounded ridiculous.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Funny to read that the same 2-3 persons that always criticize each one of my threads, have nothing RELEVANT to say in regard to the thread.

Keep bashing. You just "think" your better. But you're not :dyinglaughing:

Rabaisser pour se remonter et chercher les bébittes seems to be a common thing in here... sadly.
CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Post by CorkSoaker »

maththetraveller wrote:Funny to read that the same 2-3 persons that always criticize each one of my threads, have nothing RELEVANT to say in regard to the thread.

Keep bashing. You just "think" your better. But you're not :dyinglaughing:

Rabaisser pour se remonter et chercher les bébittes seems to be a common thing in here... sadly.

Cool your jets man. No one here is claiming to be better than you're. It's too bad that you feel that way.

Just when you start a thread like this expecting people to post their sources it's only fair that you are expected to do the same thing.

maththetraveller wrote:In Quebec, schools and businesses don't say "Merry Christmas", or "Happy New Year" anymore, because of the religious accomodations. We have to say "Happy Holidays" in order not to hurt the non-christians, but mostly to accomodate the jews and arabics that decided to come and live in our beautiful country.

So, when you make an unsubstantiated claim such as this just post your sources. That's all that we are looking for. No need to get all defensive.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Post by CorkSoaker »

Homeownertoo wrote:

I noticed that you changed the original post and took out illegal.

French Castanut
Lord of the Board

:backtotopic:
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

grammafreddy wrote:and this is also why there will never be "world peace".

Yes, but at least we can rely on the time-tested secondary option, whirled peas. Better that then nothing at all.

Mmmmm… peas. Whirled peas.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

In Quebec, schools and businesses don't say "Merry Christmas", or "Happy New Year" anymore, because of the religious accomodations. We have to say "Happy Holidays" in order not to hurt the non-christians, but mostly to accomodate the jews and arabics that decided to come and live in our beautiful country.

The governement removed all the crucifix from all schools, because they want the schools to show no religious symbols. But as a person, you can wear religious symbols on you, which includes dangerous possible threat knifes, called "kirpans".

History of the public education system, and purpose was so everyone could learn regardless of social status, race, or creed.

http://www.servintfree.net/~aidmn-ejour ... tates.html
http://www.educationbug.org/a/history-o ... hools.html

TO create equality out of inequity:
http://people.howstuffworks.com/public-schools1.htm

A democratic system:
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/publicschool/

According to the Canadian Charter of Rights we have the following freedoms:(taken directly from the charter)

Fundamental freedoms
2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
(d) freedom of association

http://ampedstatus.org/new-york-police- ... ers-video/

Freedom - this is an illusion folks. Right now they are using LRAD's on peaceful protesters in NYC, destroying donated books, arresting people (for... sleeping?), and destroying property. If that doesn't raise huge concern - I'm not sure what will. This has become a fight for our basic constitutional rights now, and the fight is getting increasingly violent from their side.

Which relates in a more global sense in the end, to this comment I made on another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35785&start=2445

Return to “Social Concerns”