Why is it hard for low income families?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Why is it hard for low income families?

Post by Piecemaker »

Exactly Catz. Although in your case I would say that you are short of money, but not "poor"! There is a difference. You have known what it feels like to earn a good income. You have certain life experiences and successes that your children have vicariously also had. They also have YOU. For various reasons, lots of kids don't have parents able to support them emotionally, much less financially.
But you are living (thankfully!) proof that all the good planning, education and hard work doesn't guarantee one will never have to "worry" about finances even if they manage money well.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Catz wrote:Well said.
I am sacrificing now for my kids.
One at least will get a scholarship.
He earned it, and so did I by giving up my dream for them.
I go with out every day for them, but give them what they need, not want.
At the end of the day, if he or all 3 get a scholarship, get an education and end up doing well for themself, then I have done well.

In the mean time...

Like I said before, I am a well educated woman who could support a family of 5, then...well...the unthinkable happened.
Just be more prepared than I was, and *bleep* hapens.

This the second time this "when "it" hits the fan" are you prepared came up today. Basis for a new thread I say.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

It's hard...but I try.
I live my life through my kids.
If they are happy. I am happy.
Thank you for getting that. :sunshine:

I have no holidays til Nov...ley the tourneys begin...
TyrianQuill
Board Meister

Post by TyrianQuill »

I think maybe some of the difficulty comes from keeping up. Once you start to fall behind not only do you have to keep the pace that you first started falling back from but now you have to work even harder to make up any difference from falling behind and what cases the falling behind can be something small many times.

Problems can happen in one or more area:
1. shelter
2. food and supplies
3. Government contributions
4. work
5. transportation
6. child and/or family member care
7. medical care: mental and physical dental etc etc
8. trying to help the less fortunate and in do so doing take from what can ill afford to help self
9. Not knowing their rights and the social system plus not having good “connections”
10. attitude of “not me … I can make it”
11. becoming worn down of fighting to keep going against what ever odds happen

There are many many different strands in the rope restraints of poverty

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place (George Bernard Shaw)
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Piecemaker wrote:Exactly Catz. Although in your case I would say that you are short of money, but not "poor"! There is a difference. You have known what it feels like to earn a good income. You have certain life experiences and successes that your children have vicariously also had. They also have YOU. For various reasons, lots of kids don't have parents able to support them emotionally, much less financially.
But you are living (thankfully!) proof that all the good planning, education and hard work doesn't guarantee one will never have to "worry" about finances even if they manage money well.

There is a very fine line to being short of money and being poor.
Even if children have lived vicariously through the success of the parent does not guarantee them or give them any education on how to live on less.
I have seen many families do without in hard times simply to keep the kids enrolled in money sucking sports programs like hockey as an example (Catz speaks of Nov and tournies, hockey comes to mind!).
I do not believe in this, I believe if hard times are on the house it is on all and if the next Luongo has to sit out a season or two, or get a part time job in the off season, to attain a "maybe" shot at the big time then so be it.
The family comes first... their basic needs of heat, light, roof over the head, food on the table, clothing... all equal... to each and every member...
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I've been short of money, but I've never been "poor". It was a philosophical statement of sorts! I've always been resourceful, thrify and practical. I knew I could go back to school and succeed. I'd had decent jobs and been treated well by employers. I had hope. I had more "tools" in my toolbox to utilize than some others have been given.
There are many living in poverty that have never known anything else and have no expectations that the future will be any different. We aren't all dealt the same hand in life.
Catz and her kids are not living in true poverty.
Catz and her spouse and kids have had better financial times and what she is seeking is some practical help in ways to utilize their income most efficiently as costs to live continue to rise and her income does not (due to a random unavoidable event in her life).
Catz is not allowing her kids to play hockey while they are in danger of losing their housing and going to bed hungry!
How do you know that her kids don't work and contribute? Although right now from a parental viewpoint, I'd say their education is first priority to Catz.
Catz has some useful tools in her toolbox and she'd just like a few more.

BTW, you are right about Loungo. Loungo needs to sit out a season if the Cannucks ever want to win the cup! :runforlife:
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

crazyoleme wrote:
Piecemaker wrote:Exactly Catz. Although in your case I would say that you are short of money, but not "poor"! There is a difference. You have known what it feels like to earn a good income. You have certain life experiences and successes that your children have vicariously also had. They also have YOU. For various reasons, lots of kids don't have parents able to support them emotionally, much less financially.

There is a very fine line to being short of money and being poor.
Even if children have lived vicariously through the success of the parent does not guarantee them or give them any education on how to live on less.
I have seen many families do without in hard times simply to keep the kids enrolled in money sucking sports programs like hockey as an example (Catz speaks of Nov and tournies, hockey comes to mind!).
I do not believe in this, I believe if hard times are on the house it is on all and if the next Luongo has to sit out a season or two, or get a part time job in the off season, to attain a "maybe" shot at the big time then so be it.
The family comes first... their basic needs of heat, light, roof over the head, food on the table, clothing... all equal... to each and every member...

They have that...I would never...never pull sports from them.
That is my sacrifice. They are too busy to get into trouble, are A students, and want them to play.
They want an education, like I said...well worth thr price now.
They..not I...I stand behind them :sunshine:
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

So I suppose one could ask Catz what you consider is a sacrifice? What have you given up to keep your kids in the high priced sports? I believe in keeping them in organized sports and busy but there are sports that do not cost as much as others and if you are going through hard times maybe it is time for the kids to find a new sport for a while.... they can always go back to the high priced ones but if it is hockey then you are talking thousands of dollars a season, not hundreds, and to continue paying this when you are stretched is not in your best interests.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Catz's boys have been in hockey for years so it's not like she's shelling out thousands and thousands to outfit them every single year or starting from scratch and having to buy everything new. I'll wager a guess and say they take excellent care of their equipment and most of it probably still fits. What doesn't can be bought.

To even suggest she remove the kids from a "high priced" sport is crossing the line. Catz is comfortable with them playing and she, better than anyone, knows what it costs for the season.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Thanx for your support guys! :sunshine:
Means a great deal to me. :sunshine: :hailjo:
I have chosen to ignore certain posters, a will cont. look for ways to save and make the best that I can.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

So it is hockey!
Well I can tell you both from past experience and from knowing too many hockey moms that the cost is far out of the pocket of the common middle class okanagan family.... kids grow so equipment needs replacing not only yearly but sometimes in mid stream....
and I will bet the sticks are not of the $10 variety and they break a lot....

Sorry do not support people keeping up this expense when in financial difficulty...

now then let's go one step further and factor in the tourneys, the hotel cost, meal cost, travel cost and not just for the kid on the ice... but if just the kid then you can bet it is a couple hundred to board the bus....

give your heads a shake ...... if the kid is that good a year off will not make it or break it but it will give you a break to SAVE up for the next coming season...

Parents that bend over backwards to please the childs fantasy and let the rest of the family do without because of it are living in a dream world.....

AND hockey mom's in this town are the worst example of this that I have seen EVER
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Whether it's hockey, figure skating or football, it's really none of your business if the boys play. Catz is the one footing the bill and knows what she can or can't afford.

For anyone interested, Save-On-Foods is running the Get your Free Turkey with your card promotion from December 11th to December 24th. Grade A, frozen, 3-7kg (roughly 7-15 lb.) when you redeem 10,000 points. Limit 1 per customer.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
barnstorm55
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by barnstorm55 »

I agree. Sounds almost as if someone is trying to run someone elses life and finances.

Thanks for the turkey tip.
Spelling? Grammar? Dilligaf? Mmmmmmmm...Turkey water.
JOF585
Übergod

Post by JOF585 »

crazyoleme wrote:So it is hockey!
Well I can tell you both from past experience and from knowing too many hockey moms that the cost is far out of the pocket of the common middle class okanagan family.... kids grow so equipment needs replacing not only yearly but sometimes in mid stream....
and I will bet the sticks are not of the $10 variety and they break a lot....

Sorry do not support people keeping up this expense when in financial difficulty...

now then let's go one step further and factor in the tourneys, the hotel cost, meal cost, travel cost and not just for the kid on the ice... but if just the kid then you can bet it is a couple hundred to board the bus....

give your heads a shake ...... if the kid is that good a year off will not make it or break it but it will give you a break to SAVE up for the next coming season...

Parents that bend over backwards to please the childs fantasy and let the rest of the family do without because of it are living in a dream world.....

AND hockey mom's in this town are the worst example of this that I have seen EVER

Personal attack is not allowed.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

barnstorm55 wrote:I agree. Sounds almost as if someone is trying to run someone elses life and finances.

Thanks for the turkey tip.

Up 2,000 on the turkey points.... they wil also have a size up for more points, pay attention to the ticket on the bird!

There is no trying to run someone's life at all.... it is an opinion with facts.... the parent posting is willing to give up what to provide a spot on a sport team that will cost them thousands of dollars for a season....

This is a thread on low income families and I can guarantee the kids in this situation would sacrifice their school lunch to get a chance to but is it smart? Not in the least ...

The sport mum and dads of today need to really take a step back and give their heads a shake... sacrifice all you want, get out there and trash talk all the kids better than yours, and throw fists at opposing parents... not a secret it is in the news all the time and is quite digusting... you call yourselves parents? Well I can tell what you are doing is actually instilling in your children that this dysfunctional way of living and this callous disregard for the families finances is ok... cause guess what..

little john or jane, may, just may get a shot at the big time??????????? cause if not for that then what for, their physical abilities.... heck a pair of running shoes costs less, gives lots of fresh air and exercise ....
so before you flame common sense, give up some common sense idea WHY it has to be the sport that costs the parents thousands of dollars a year to participate in rather than the sport that at best could run $500

Return to “Social Concerns”