Why is it hard for low income families?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Why is it hard for low income families?

Post by oneh2obabe »

crazyoleme wrote:
barnstorm55 wrote:I agree. Sounds almost as if someone is trying to run someone elses life and finances.

Thanks for the turkey tip.

Up 2,000 on the turkey points.... they wil also have a size up for more points, pay attention to the ticket on the bird!
No thanks, bought 2 nice 15-16 lb. Grade A turkeys today for $0.95/lb.

There is no trying to run someone's life at all.... it is an opinion with facts.... the parent posting is willing to give up what to provide a spot on a sport team that will cost them thousands of dollars for a season....
You keep spouting "facts" ... have a link to back them up?

This is a thread on low income families and I can guarantee the kids in this situation would sacrifice their school lunch to get a chance to but is it smart? Not in the least ...

The sport mum and dads of today need to really take a step back and give their heads a shake... sacrifice all you want, get out there and trash talk all the kids better than yours, and throw fists at opposing parents... not a secret it is in the news all the time and is quite digusting... you call yourselves parents? Well I can tell what you are doing is actually instilling in your children that this dysfunctional way of living and this callous disregard for the families finances is ok... cause guess what..
You don't know Catz so don't dare say she's raising her family in a dysfunctional manner or disregards the family finances. You haven't a clue what she does or doesn't do.

little john or jane, may, just may get a shot at the big time??????????? cause if not for that then what for, their physical abilities.... heck a pair of running shoes costs less, gives lots of fresh air and exercise ....
so before you flame common sense, give up some common sense idea WHY it has to be the sport that costs the parents thousands of dollars a year to participate in rather than the sport that at best could run $500
Catz has more common sense in her baby finger than some so don't use that as an excuse to bash her parenting skills. Ok, we get it - if you had kids they wouldn't be playing hockey. Not every parent has your mentality when it comes to the health and well-being of their children.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

A little bitter I see...LOL.
I'll let my kids know what you think of the benefits they receive from hockey...sighs....carry on...
Also I would appreciate no further personal attacks against me.
You know nothing about me...thanx.
barnstorm55
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by barnstorm55 »

Probably safe to say that you(crazyoleme) have more experience around these "sports" issues than I do. I agree that a child would probably pass up a meal to play a game etc. Sorry if I mis-read you.

Thanks for the turkey turkey tip.
Spelling? Grammar? Dilligaf? Mmmmmmmm...Turkey water.
barnstorm55
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by barnstorm55 »

Holy hockey stick Batman. Run for cover. :runforlife:
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Ok - back to ways to save money, especially this time of year if you have kids. Was in Wal-Mart today and they have lots of stocking stuffers ranging from $1.00 to $3.00 plus some really good sale prices on toys according to the parents I was chatting with today.

In the grocery section they have:
Frozen Grade A turkeys for $0.95/lb., all sizes, limit 2
Beefsteak tomatoes $0.97/lb.
Heinz tomato juice $1.47 (none on the shelves but you can get a raincheck or wait for the Tuesday deliveries)
Hershey's chocolate syrup, 1L bottle $4.57
Schneider's hams - Country Natural, Lifestyle Fat Free or Olde Fashioned $7.96 (700-900g)

Men's wear:
Fruit of the Loom boxer briefs $12.00/4 pack, assorted styles
Hanes boxer briefs $14.00/4 pack
Hot Paws gloves with detachable fingers $6.00
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

kgcayenne wrote:So, what are you willing to give up when the fit hits the shan?

This is a very good question, one that we should all think about before the spit flies.

It's harder to live within one's means going from the 'high life' to the 'low life' than living the 'low life' the entire time because there's always latency of one degree or another when our financial situations change. The problem with us humans is not that we won't eventually give up everything, but rather that we tend to cling to our old habits long after our finances can't handle them anymore. Likely because we never gave any previous consideration for the day when the unexpected would happen.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Catz wrote:A little bitter I see...LOL.
I'll let my kids know what you think of the benefits they receive from hockey...sighs....carry on...
Also I would appreciate no further personal attacks against me.
You know nothing about me...thanx.

Oh not quite so fast! First off opinions of difference in parenting style are not personal attacks and every person reading this thread has a good idea about you from you
Well said.
I am sacrificing now for my kids.
One at least will get a scholarship.
He earned it, and so did I by giving up my dream for them.
I go with out every day for them, but give them what they need, not want.
At the end of the day, if he or all 3 get a scholarship, get an education and end up doing well for themself, then I have done well.

In the mean time...

Like I said before, I am a well educated woman who could support a family of 5, then...well...the unthinkable happened.
Just be more prepared than I was, and *bleep* hapens.

Hoping to get scholarships is a wonderful dream of all parents, however in most cases it is as good as buying a lottery ticket as the odds get smaller and smaller as the numbers of kids going for the same chance increase. In this day and age there are more kids trying for the scholorships because they can not afford post secondary educations without them. This does not in any shape of form guarantee they will end up getting an education and doing well for themselves. Lots of kids with scholorships have flunked out, many have changed direction mid stream to their 'original dream' and their are far too many educated, papered individuals not doing so well for themselves and not being prepared .... as you state about yourself.

With sufferance comes strength and having to sit out a year is not the end of the world.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-68419-955-.htm#68419

According to this article I just linked,

According to the recently released CATCH 2011 ‘State of the Child’ report for the Central Okanagan, the Low Income Measure (LIM), an indicator of relative poverty, showed child poverty in Kelowna at 22.2% in 2009. Between 2004 and 2010, the monthly food bill for a family of four in BC increased by 43.5% from $632.00 to $907.00. In 2011, the Kelowna Community Food Bank helped to feed nearly 40,000 people – 10,000 of those were children. In addition, they served approximately 100 babies and 20 pregnant mothers each month. The number of children between the ages of 0-6 who have accessed the Kelowna Community Food Bank has risen by 42.1% between 2007 and 2011.

I haven't failed until I quit.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Lady tehMa wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-68419-955-.htm#68419

According to this article I just linked,

Between 2004 and 2010, the monthly food bill for a family of four in BC increased by 43.5% from $632.00 to $907.00.

I won't argue that the cost of groceries has dramatically increased in recent years but $907 a month?! And that's the average! What are these average families eating? I feed my family of four very well on $5-600 spent every month at grocery stores, markets etc (I even include toiletries, cleaning supplies etc in that figure!) Difference is I suppose, our children are still quite young but my husband eats enough to equal two hungry teenagers lol. As my children grow, and if groceries remain close to the current prices, I predict that my bill will only increase by a hundred dollars or so. Buying fresh foods and minimal amounts of prepackaged stuff really does go a long way.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

I'm sure this has been brought up before but I think its crazy that people line up for food at the food bank(don't have enough money for food)while having a smoke.
You can afford cigarettes but can't afford food!?!
I quit years ago, mainly because it was just stupid to destroy my body but secondly it was so freakin' expensive.
I can't imagine what it costs to smoke today,even roll your owns.
Quit smokin' and spend it on food!!!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I call B.S. on that article. Food prices did increase dramatically in 2008 and 2009, but even still, the period from 2004 to 2010 only saw food prices increase by 15.8%, a far cry from the 34.5% the article espouses.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

just saw on the news last night, that food is expected to increase another 4 - 6 % next year............
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Bubalouie wrote:just saw on the news last night, that food is expected to increase another 4 - 6 % next year............

I guess the fat poor will be 4-6% thinner next year!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
barnstorm55
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by barnstorm55 »

nickd wrote:I'm sure this has been brought up before but I think its crazy that people line up for food at the food bank(don't have enough money for food)while having a smoke.
You can afford cigarettes but can't afford food!?!
I quit years ago, mainly because it was just stupid to destroy my body but secondly it was so freakin' expensive.
I can't imagine what it costs to smoke today,even roll your owns.
Quit smokin' and spend it on food!!!

It is possible to do both, (smoke tobacco and feed yourself) on a poverty level income. The trick is to squeeze every single possible morsel of nutrition out of your grocery items, buy items on sale to the umpteenth degree, (unfortunately the stores now have a fair say in what you eat and when you eat it). You have to be willing to eat the same thing ,more or less, for days or possibly weeks at a time.

You need to grow many of the vegatables you require and hope you have a good season because there is typically no money allotted for fertilizer or bug control. Gardening takes a lot of time to be successful and you better have good soil otherwise it is a real struggle and the yield is poor. Make sure you will be around all summer to look after your garden and weed and water it. Put time and money aside for the Fall in order to process your harvest; generally some canning, freezing, blanching, processing . This requires jars, lids, freezer bags, tupperware, energy and time.

Condition yourself to not anticipate or enjoy "treats" from the store more than once or twice annually. Meet these conditions and you now have the basic ability to eat and smoke all year. Just think of the satisfaction. knowing how you scrimped at every single turn in your day which now enables you to settle back to have a nice smoke after your hard won yet meagre meal.

It was on the news tonight that two people die every hour in BC from smoking related disease. Given the odds, I'd rather splurge on a healthy and adventurous diet and not spend the money on tobacco. Eating is one of the few pleasures in life that if done correctly brings great joy and good health. Sex and sleep also come to mind. That however, is another topic for another day. :sunshine:
mbh

Post by mbh »

Ok it's been a while so I thought I would step in here....

First of all. Shame on the people who live only to put down other people. If GrandmaFreddy says she can live off $50 a month for food, who are you to judge?? I know people who who have 3 small children and can live off $300 a month because they know how to look for sales and utilize what they have without wasting. SHAME ON YOU. Just because you can't do something, doesn't mean it's impossible. It's called shopping right and portion control (which most people eat 2-3 times what a normal portion is).

Secondly, I asked the original question because I want to help people and am stuck on the how part. Again, SHAME ON YOU to the people who are so negative! With snarky comments such as "you answered in your own post." or "people need to make more money" no friggen duh. Of course people need to make more money. Of course they need better jobs. I didn't ask for foolish answers such as that... and again SHAME ON YOU for trying to put down someone who has a genuine interest in helping people.

I don't understand what is wrong with society now a days. Someone tries to do a good thing and BAM. Kick em down.

And number 3.. I do know what it's like to be low income. I was very poor, living in a mobile home, on welfare and going to the food bank. I GET THAT. I was asking ways that I, as a person, could help someone else. I don't have the money to go open up a 1000 apartment for low income. I want to do little subtle things to start to help people. What are things they have problems with? Utilities? Well maybe I can pay someones utilities. Maybe I can buy a turkey dinner for someone. Maybe I can buy them a new fridge that broke down or give their kids some clothes.

Those are the small things that the community should be doing to help one another. You never know what could happen that makes you one of the "poor" people.

My problem also, is finding people who need small things. I am stuck. I dont know where to start.

Return to “Social Concerns”