Why is it hard for low income families?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
mbh

Why is it hard for low income families?

Post by mbh »

I want to know..

What are the problems for low income families/parents/children?
Why is it hard for you/them?
What problem do you face?
Why is it hard for you to get ahead?
What are the main issues?

Food?
Utilities?
Transportation?
Rent?

To better assist the low income families, we need to better understand what they are going through and what their troubles are.
Last edited by mbh on Dec 1st, 2011, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin_Herrigan
Fledgling

Vernon BC Poverty

Post by Martin_Herrigan »

Many businesses in Vernon BC are using the local food banks to subsidize the wages they pay to their employees and to increase business profits. Businesses are also using the EI funds for the same reasons, while cutting their employees hours, by as much as three days per week, in some cases.
Why are the Service Workers in Vernon BC abused by Employers, paying their workers a poverty wage?
A socially responsible business, does not employ poverty for profits.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: why is it hard low income families?

Post by Thinktank »

It's very simple:

We live in a rich country with lots of resources and lots of wealth.
But the rich are getting richer, the middle class are getting poorer
and the low income are suffering. The problem could be solved if
all greedy rats could be 'cured' of their greed.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Thinktank wrote:It's very simple:

I thought it was clear that the original post was asking, specifically, what the problems are.

Not your college-student, disconnect from reality response.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Veovis
Guru

Re: Why is it hard low income families?

Post by Veovis »

I think the question was rather specific. The blanket answer of "it's all rich people fault" doesn't actually address anything.

I personally feel that a sense of entitlement has a massive detrimental effect on many families out there. The "I want this and this and that and the other thing, and if my neighbor gets something I need one model better"

You add that to the fact that most people out there do not track or manage their finances on ANY level so when the bank is empty they need someone to blame.

My life is stable at this point, but I had numerous years broke as could be and make tiny annual income, but by not wasting money and making a monthly budget I was able to eventually change that fact.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Cant make the big money unless you *exploit* people, or the environment.

Only 1% of Canada makes 181,000 a year. 60-70% live check-to-check.

50 workers making 12 bucks a hour = one guy with a really nice house and a car.

The top shelf needs "low income families" to exploit in order to make money. Our entire econimic system is built on exploitation.

This is why everyone cant get what they need, because then a few people couldn't have MORE than they need.
is winter over
Fledgling

Post by is winter over »

Thinktank wrote:It's very simple:

I think many people at many wage levels have difficulty. The problem being many do not learn to live within their means. Yes low income make things more diffult, but many learn to make do with what they have. The problem is not how little you have, but to manage what you do have. Should be manditory in school that kids learn about money and how to manage their financial affairs. Why worry about what others have?
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

is winter over wrote:
I think many people at many wage levels have difficulty. The problem being many do not learn to live within their means.

I guess people should learn to be homeless, because the cost of living has skyrocketed but wages have stayed static these last 25 years or so.

"living within their means" - yes - people are poor because they keep on buying things they don't need. 99% of Canadians are "just lazy and cant manage their money". Nothing to see here, meanwhile lets close down another union shop and open up a Big Box Store and ship more jobs off to a 3rd world country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_of_poverty

"In economics, the cycle of poverty is the "set of factors or events by which poverty, once started, is likely to continue unless there is outside intervention.The cycle of poverty has been defined as a phenomenon where poor families become trapped in poverty for at least three generations. These families have either limited or no resources. There are many disadvantages that collectively work in a circular process making it virtually impossible for individuals to break the cycle. This occurs when poor people do not have the resources necessary to get out of poverty, such as financial capital, education, or connections. In other words, poverty-stricken individuals experience disadvantages as a result of their poverty, which in turn increases their poverty. This would mean that the poor remain poor throughout their lives. This cycle has also been referred to as a "pattern" of behaviors and situations which cannot easily be changed."
mbh

Re: Why is it hard low for income families?

Post by mbh »

Yes I am looking for specifics.... maybe i should change the question to..

WHAT ARE YOU HAVING A HARD TIME WITH (LOW INCOME FAMILIES)

I want to know why they can't get ahead. Why are they broke. What bills do they struggle to pay. Which one is the worse? What is preventing them from giving their kids a Christmas present or a dinner.

In other words.. if you are poor and I had money, what would be the most beneficial thing I could do to help you?

buy you groceries? pay your electricity bill?
JOF585
Übergod

Post by JOF585 »

Veovis wrote:I think the question was rather specific. The blanket answer of "it's all rich people fault" doesn't actually address anything.

I personally feel that a sense of entitlement has a massive detrimental effect on many families out there. The "I want this and this and that and the other thing, and if my neighbor gets something I need one model better"

You add that to the fact that most people out there do not track or manage their finances on ANY level so when the bank is empty they need someone to blame.

My life is stable at this point, but I had numerous years broke as could be and make tiny annual income, but by not wasting money and making a monthly budget I was able to eventually change that fact.

I do believe that the true poor doesn't have any money to start with, therefore can't possibly want what the neighbour has. It's not about keeping up with the Joneses. Not the same thing. I grew up seeing a lot of truly poor people. A lot of them didn't have the smarts ( for lack of a better word ) to get a job. A lot of alcohol use also. They had children, who by no fault of their own, also didn't have the smarts because of alcohol poisoning while in the womb. Vicious cycle in my opinion.
There is a difference between truly poor and low income families. No doubt that a budget helps. There's no other way. Live within your means but you also need enough money to start with, to balance that budget.
Last edited by JOF585 on Dec 1st, 2011, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
is winter over
Fledgling

Post by is winter over »

Bagotricks wrote:
is winter over wrote:
I think many people at many wage levels have difficulty. The problem being many do not learn to live within their means.

I guess people should learn to be homeless, because the cost of living has skyrocketed but wages have stayed static these last 25 years or so.

"living within their means" - yes - people are poor because they keep on buying things they don't need. 99% of Canadians are "just lazy and cant manage their money". Nothing to see here, meanwhile lets close down another union shop and open up a Big Box Store and ship more jobs off to a 3rd world country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_of_poverty

"In economics, the cycle of poverty is the "set of factors or events by which poverty, once started, is likely to continue unless there is outside intervention.The cycle of poverty has been defined as a phenomenon where poor families become trapped in poverty for at least three generations. These families have either limited or no resources. There are many disadvantages that collectively work in a circular process making it virtually impossible for individuals to break the cycle. This occurs when poor people do not have the resources necessary to get out of poverty, such as financial capital, education, or connections. In other words, poverty-stricken individuals experience disadvantages as a result of their poverty, which in turn increases their poverty. This would mean that the poor remain poor throughout their lives. This cycle has also been referred to as a "pattern" of behaviors and situations which cannot easily be changed."

Wow, never did say poor people are lazy or could not manage their money. What I said was that many people at all levels have difficulty financially, because of choices they make. This is not a question of the divide between the rich and the poor, but how some people manage what they do have. Bet many of your "poor people" would be asking why are you having pity on me I am happy with what I have and how I live.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Why is it hard for low income families?

Post by Queen K »

http://www.bygpub.com/books/tg2rw/chap1excerpt.htm

When young people go out into the "real world" they are often hit by what is outlined in this excerpt. I found it interesting to say the least.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Big Bacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Big Bacardi »

boy...it sure sounded in the first few posts that the rich were the problem.....lol....

i hate you cause u gots more en me!!!!! lol

pathetic drivell.....most people with some real income, have earned it....if u wanna open a business and work yer azz off....blood and sweat...maybe u 2 could make some real money....instead of saying the rich are at fault....i am currently broke and close to being poor....but because of choices i mafde in the past.....if i could go back and change thgis i would....but alas....no redo's.....deal with the hand you are dealt...if you [play poker and get dealt aces....u ina better position than if u got dealt 72 off....does that make u a jerk cause u got ...no it was the hand u were dealt....
You may think I'm dumb...But I ain't so smart.....but i am smart enuf to know how to spell corrictley!!!....I sure wish others culd spel. The graamar by other postars truly sux!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

It really is quite simple.....The problem is low income in a city that cost a lot to live in.....Ends just don't meet ,weather it be food or the phone bill, something gets left behindafter the rent gets payed.

The only real answer is more money....because we know there will be a reduction in the "sunshine taxes ”..rent....
Last edited by MAPearce on Dec 1st, 2011, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dorito
Fledgling

Re: Why is it hard low for income families?

Post by dorito »

mbh wrote:Yes I am looking for specifics.... maybe i should change the question to..

WHAT ARE YOU HAVING A HARD TIME WITH (LOW INCOME FAMILIES)

I want to know why they can't get ahead. Why are they broke. What bills do they struggle to pay. Which one is the worse? What is preventing them from giving their kids a Christmas present or a dinner.

In other words.. if you are poor and I had money, what would be the most beneficial thing I could do to help you?buy you groceries? pay your electricity bill?

Short term-financial education, money management skills, budgetary help-with follow up. (Kind of like a "Till Debt Do Us Part" education). If you were to actually pay for something-pay off someone's CC debt.

Long term-Pay for the individual to upgrade skills to obtain a higher paying job. Put money away for their children to attend post secondary school. Help them set up educational savings programs for their children.

Properly researched and chosen post secondary education is the key to breaking the cycle of poverty, IMHO.

Return to “Social Concerns”