Climate Change

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Climate Change

Post by I Think »

Forest, it should be obvious to all by now that barbarians are not interested in understanding anything, they will keep spouting their unchanging views just like a broken record.
However, on the odd chance that some other reader will take pause and actually think about reality, keep up the good work..........
We're lost but we're making good time.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Nibs wrote:Forest, it should be obvious to all by now that barbarians are not interested in understanding anything, they will keep spouting their unchanging views just like a broken record.
However, on the odd chance that some other reader will take pause and actually think about reality, keep up the good work..........

and yet the US government has spent $68 billion dollars, in the past 4 years alone, on this man-made climate change nonsense. What I don't get is that the radical leftists supporting the AGW fraud have no problem with this massive waste. Every other expense by government, especially defense etc. is screamed about by the leftists, as all of that money should be going to "the poor" and to "feeding the hungry" and to "closing the gap between rich and poor", yet the billions wasted on a complete scientific fraud is totally cool, and that more should be spent apparently. Think of all the good you could do in the world with $68 billion dollars, money that's just been poured down a black hole, to make up armegeddonist predictions that have never ever come true. How do you live with yourself, as a radical leftist, knowing how much money this "reality" you claim exists has cost mankind? How?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Funny, my sense is that a lot of right wingers appreciate the AGW "fraud", and government "investment" of tax dollars in promoting the issue. Seems they see lots of opportunities to make a big buck from it.

Nab
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

NAB wrote:Funny, my sense is that a lot of right wingers appreciate the AGW "fraud", and government "investment" of tax dollars in promoting the issue. Seems they see lots of opportunities to make a big buck from it.

Nab

Like who? David Suzuki? Al Gore? James Hansen? Those "right wingers"?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Global Warming is pretty serious. Here is a complete list of things causes by Global Warming. http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I've always had mixed emotions towards NASA's space program, I know it's a bit off topic but bare with me. On one hand it inspires young people to be an astronaut or a scientist and then there's the leaps in technology that spill over to into other scientific fields. But on the other hand it promotes this ridicules notion that some day in the future we may be able to pack it up and move once this planet is done.

Regardless of which expert you listen to, no one has any idea how it's going to play out. While the poles melt the Gulf Stream will weaken causing Newfoundland or possibly even Northern Russian type temperatures across Europe possibly reversing the warming trend and blah blah. Or will we go past the tipping point causing the permafrost start to melting doubling the level of carbon in the atmosphere within a 50 years and blah blah.

To me the it's not a question of why we should but a question of why not. Why not figure out a way to use our current fuels more efficiently. We have enough natural gas here and in the US to last us 200 years but not if we don't start now thinking of how to use it more effectively. I don't know if wind, solar or tidal will ever be feasible but while it may cost in the short term there will be spin offs and other benefits gained such as whats happening with large liquid batteries that will store all that energy for 24 hour use.

And as far as NASA goes, I believe it should be retooled to focus back here on earth for the next decade or so in the exploration of alternate energy sources and creating more efficient uses for our current sources. Inspiring to one day becoming a composter may not be as glamorous as being an astronaut, but it's a whole lot more realistic.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Poindexter wrote:To me the it's not a question of why we should but a question of why not. Why not figure out a way to use our current fuels more efficiently. We have enough natural gas here and in the US to last us 200 years but not if we don't start now thinking of how to use it more effectively.

Figuring out how to efficiently burn our *limited* amount of fuel is like figuring a efficient way of using Kleenex to stop a massive wound. In the end we are going to die (run out of energy), so what does it matter?

Wasted science one could argue. Short terms gains, long term problems.

Delaying death, not problem solving to live.

The push should be to scrap oil, gas and the rest of it. Humans need to figure this out if we want to survive. The human race needs to get used to thinking beyond election cycles and single generations.

We made a push to the moon to win the cold war. Wars today (and in the feature) will certainly be about - oil. We can side step the whole issue and "win" by beating the next war to the punch.

China wants to hack into our computers, spy on us and pay off government officials to get our oil? What if energy was limitless?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

SurplusElect wrote: What if energy was limitless?

:129: What if we had starships, warp engines and transporter beams ?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Poindexter wrote: We have enough natural gas here and in the US to last us 200 years ...

Estimates I’ve read suggest closer to 400 to 500 years, just from Canadian resources (of course, the source of that research might have been somewhat biased), giving us a long time to develop other alternative technologies. Given the acceleration in scientific and technological advancement in the last 100 years, it is hard to even imagine what we might accomplish in the next 500 – depending, of course, on how much time and money we waste trying to stop climate change.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

steven lloyd wrote:What if we had starships, warp engines and transporter beams ?

...what if we had communicators like on Star Trek?

The people who control the energy don't like this type of thinking. That and shareholders.

When we meet a alien race, they wont be using limited energy resources, lol.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Sep 7th, 2012, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

SurplusElect wrote: ...what if we had communicators like on Star Trek?

:200: Wow, ya - I bet they're even harder to make.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

The Universe is full of so much energy that we don't even understand what makes up the majority of it. Unknown energy, dark matter - the numbers don't ad up or we don't even understand the math itself.

We "found" electromagnetism and play with it - within the rules that we have assigned to what we have observed, but by no means do we fully understand it.

There is a whole other force (or 2 or 3 or...) out there that we don't even know about. There are limitless supplies of energy everywhere but have yet to figure out how to harness it.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

SurplusElect wrote: There are limitless supplies of energy everywhere but have yet to figure out how to harness it.

That's quite likely true, but until we do we're going to need oil - and diverting billions every year into useless efforts to stop what cannot be stopped will not help at all with discovering and developing alternative energy sources. Many of those discoveries are going to be realized through our efforts to get into and move around and expand into space, and at present that requires rocket fuel. We need to continue to use fossil fuel right now in our efforts to continue to advance.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

steven lloyd wrote:Many of those discoveries are going to be realized through our efforts to get into and move around and expand into space, and at present that requires rocket fuel.

I do agree, our current methods of propulsion through space are comparable to driving a horse and buggy on the Autobahn. We really can't even consider visiting other systems with rocket fuel and batteries so should we even bother putting all that money into rehashing old technology or finding out if mars ever had liquid water. Even our communications systems aren't up for the challenge, pretty tough to do an unmanned space flight with a 100 year lag to connect. In order to approach or go past the speed of light we'll need to scrap our current energy sources and explore something new which is why NASA should retool and focus on alternate sources of energy with the goal of saving this planet and hopefully the spin off one day might be the ability to visit distant planets.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

The only reason we are stuck using fossil fuels is because big oil and big coal have bought your politicians.
And twits like sl and greenbarbie just keep on putting their heads in the sand, they just do not want to know, but more importantly they do not want you to know, either/or they are being paid/bought off..
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Social Concerns”