Climate Change

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Climate Change

Post by Poindexter »

If what many are speculating is true, that the Arab Spring was linked to inflation in food prices, we've just seen the tip of the iceberg. If droughts, possibly caused by global warming and reduced glacial runoff, continue to reduce aggricultural outputs around the world, and ethanol production continues to drive up grain prices, we are headed for a volatile decade to say the least. In other words, what little is left after the heat and starvation does us in will be finished off by the drones.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

The environment, the next big money making scheme. Since becoming the Big Environmental warrior for the world AL Gore has become a Billionaire , growing his fortunes from one mansion to 9 . Ow wouldn't that increase his poluting by 9 times? Yes is the answer .

Elizabeth May , while still owning a home in the Maritimes , flies from her office on Vancouver Island across Canada , More than any other MP in Canada . Still claims that her primary residence is in the Maritimes , yet ran for office in BC .

Now , more reality . The USA is only against the Alberta Tarsands because it competes with their industry , the worst emitters of GHG's in the world are the Big 3 , China, USA, and India, producing over 80% of the ENTIRE WORLD EMMISSIONS .

Saying that Canada is one of the worsted emitters is as logical as stating that the USA never starts wars or China and India treat women well .it really depends on where you get your information . If you get it from the left wing environmental kooks , well then you also believe that Canada rules the world and and we are all environmentally deficient and should be ashamed of ourselves

If correct , then why are all the big polluters people's keep trying to move here?
"A lie stated over a long enough period of time, becomes the truth" Adolf Hitler. But I say , "A half truth is a lie and there is always two sides to a story, but only one truth"
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

Canada produces less than 2% of the world pollution and yet it is the second largest country for size .China , the USA, and India are all much smaller and produce over 80% of the worlds pollution .For people to deflect the negative attention away from themselves and for OPPOSITION PARTIES to constantly focus on Canada as the BAD ENVIRONMENTALISTS , is just manipulative and misleading .

I always find it amusing how it's always pumped on the CBC and yet when I speak to people around the world they never hear about it or believe it , just the Opposition and the bought and paid for CBC .
"A lie stated over a long enough period of time, becomes the truth" Adolf Hitler. But I say , "A half truth is a lie and there is always two sides to a story, but only one truth"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Actually, China and the USA are larger than Canada...

Countries with the most land (Total area - total area covered with water):
    1) Russia = 16,377,742 km^2
    2) China = 9,569,901^2
    3) USA = 9,158,960 km^2
    4) Canada = 9,093,507 km^2
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

dudlee wrote:Canada produces less than 2% of the world pollution and yet it is the second largest country for size .China , the USA, and India are all much smaller and produce over 80% of the worlds pollution .For people to deflect the negative attention away from themselves and for OPPOSITION PARTIES to constantly focus on Canada as the BAD ENVIRONMENTALISTS , is just manipulative and misleading .

I always find it amusing how it's always pumped on the CBC and yet when I speak to people around the world they never hear about it or believe it , just the Opposition and the bought and paid for CBC .

Canada has a terrible record unless you believe the 2% nonsense that the CONS keep spouting about. I guess you do.

http://www.environmentalindicators.com/htdocs/PDF/Pgs11-20.pdf

How often do you speak to people around the world? Do you walk? lol.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

Canada has a terrible record unless you believe the 2% nonsense that the CONS keep spouting about. I guess you do.

http://www.environmentalindicators.com/htdocs/PDF/Pgs11-20.pdf

How often do you speak to people around the world? Do you walk? lol.[/quote]

You're probably one of those Justin Tru-Dum lovers that think everything was awesome under the Pathetic Liberals dictatorship . Always nice to live with a 58 cent dollar so that Quebec and Ontario can o full tilt in the Manufacturing sector .

Oh wait , you're an enviro-kook so you must be happy that with the strong dollar the manufacturing in the two looser provinces is down and thus they produce less emissions ..?

Yes , I have travelled the world , you should try it . Just sell your trailer and ourself on a street corner for 10 years and you may be able to go to Mexico , for a week .
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Reality Check for all the eco terrorists.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/03/08/the-logarithmic-effect-of-carbon-dioxide/

The absolute arrogance of the eco terrorists that man is way more powerful than mother nature still astounds me. Your lives must be so empty so as to think that what you do really makes a difference in the big picture. Science, real science not the made up eco terrorist bunk, shows time and time again that predictions based on left wing hippie kelp eating freak science is wrong. Nothing that was predicted years ago has happened. No sea levels rising or temperature rising to anywhere near the predicted levels made 20 years ago. So the eco terrorists now say that it's just taking a bit longer to get to those levels or they adjusted they're doom and gloom to slightly less doom and gloom.
Sorry to say but real science does not work that way. You can't just keep on changing timelines or end results of predictions based on results that are not occurring. This is called hokum. Man made climate change is at best a theory and at worst a big lie. I believe the latter and so far science has proven me right and the eco terrorists lies as just that, big lies.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

JagXKR wrote:Reality Check for all the eco terrorists.

The absolute arrogance of the eco terrorists that man is way more powerful than mother nature still astounds me. Your lives must be so empty so as to think that what you do really makes a difference in the big picture. Science, real science not the made up eco terrorist bunk, shows time and time again that predictions based on left wing hippie kelp eating freak science is wrong. Nothing that was predicted years ago has happened. No sea levels rising or temperature rising to anywhere near the predicted levels made 20 years ago. So the eco terrorists now say that it's just taking a bit longer to get to those levels or they adjusted they're doom and gloom to slightly less doom and gloom.
Sorry to say but real science does not work that way. You can't just keep on changing timelines or end results of predictions based on results that are not occurring. This is called hokum. Man made climate change is at best a theory and at worst a big lie. I believe the latter and so far science has proven me right and the eco terrorists lies as just that, big lies.

And the last time the earth heated up the dinosaurs died, they must ot have been driving Prius's. What I always get a kick out of is when I watch the weather channel and the show the RECORD HIGHS AND LOWS WITH THERE DATES . 90%of the time the records are from the 20's and 30's . My point is , the Earth goes in cycles , and different regions experience different phenomenas. Continents shifting , volcanoes , Earthquakes , the web and access to info has made all the weather events way more in our face .
Now I agree that we need alternate fuel sources , but I want them to curb the monopolies by the oil industry , I prefer competition , or dictatorships grow and commie thinking grows . BC has massive natural gas , we should refit our cars to take advantage of the low prices , we don't need to sell it to China for four times the price , and then have Christy Spark tell us that our price has gone up four times because china pays four times the price . That is how she thinks .stopping oil spills and driving efficient vehicles is just SMART . Non efficient mass transit is a joke .catering to big box stores demands is a joke . Light sequencing is huge , setting lights down the main drag on TRAP just means more idling , bad for cars , gums them up , and bad for fuel economy , thus creating more GHG 's .
You want to save the environment , QUIT LEASING A NEW CAR EVERY 2 YEARS , and something simple " change your fuel filters and air filters , spark plugs now adays can be recleaned and reused , unlike the old days . Do want European have done for ever . Raise insurance on new vehicles with big powerful motors . Car manufacturers build vehicles that sell , so stop buying new cars .university students have made cars that get 100 miles per gallon only to have big auto buy the car and shelf it , and that car was a 1972 MG with a carburetor , just imagine what a fuel injected motor can get ?
ForestfortheTrees
Board Meister

Post by ForestfortheTrees »

JagXKR wrote:Reality Check for all the eco terrorists.

Just what I love. A post that starts with abuse and name-calling, and finishes with writer showing that he does not know what he is talking about. You state that "Man made climate change is at best a theory ." Umm, do you now anything about the language used in the scientific method? It is a theory. You better find out what that means.

Might I suggest you watch this video and take the advice that comes at the end: present an argument that directly challenges the physics that has been established in the past rather than re-posting old articles from WUWT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ6Z04VJDco&feature=share&list=UUljE1ODdSF7LS9xx9eWq0GQ
ForestfortheTrees
Board Meister

Post by ForestfortheTrees »

Jag - just to follow up a little further, the article you cited is based on the work of Willis Eschenbach who's main credential seems to be a BA in Psychology. No links to published papers or how he arrived at his conclusions. Just a statement that is accepted as fact. So who is practicing junk science?
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

ForestfortheTrees wrote:Jag - just to follow up a little further, the article you cited is based on the work of Willis Eschenbach who's main credential seems to be a BA in Psychology. No links to published papers or how he arrived at his conclusions. Just a statement that is accepted as fact. So who is practicing junk science?

David Archibald who is a debunker and is a friend of Professor David Bellamy who described the theory of man-made global warming as "poppycock". Sorry but an actual professor. I remember a time when people who thought the world was round were also slammed and condemned because they were not in the majority. Stating something as fact does not make it so.

I had a "few" thoughts of the video link you sent.

Number 1
The eco terrorist says that you need to get away from the blogs and look where the research is written up in scientific journals. Any science that disputes the eco terrorist agenda is met with the same rhetoric.
Number 2
Again the same bunk that CO2 is not logarithmic in it's effect is not stated ANYWHERE when I believe as well as others believe that it is.
Number 3
Same as above. More CO2 correlates to more heat retention and it is a direct proportional relationship. Almost nothing in nature is a direct proportional relationship. At certain levels things tend to reach optimum levels. Other factors need to be factored. This is the same as day to day weather forecasting, all factors need to be assessed in order to make a prediction, which is usually accurate only for a few days.
Number 4
The video from 1958 that say a few degrees in temp rise will melt the ice caps is passed over as a truism. 1958! More than 50 years ago. Why are the caps still there? They were predicted to have melted by now. Again a prediction that never came to fruition so now the "science" has to be changed. Funny I thought science was science not a fad to be changed as it suits me.
Number 5
Over and over the video states that CO2 is a powerful greenhouse gas. Duh! As my link states we would be 30C colder without it.
Number 6
This one makes me laugh. "There is extra heat coming into the system just as scientists predicted". Bunk! Nothing has happened as scientists predicted. Polar caps are still there and have been growing and shrinking and growing and shrinking and growing and shrinking and growing and shrinking as the video shows. Predictions were shrinking only to the point that there would be little to no caps left by now. Again you can't keep changing timelines to match your predictions. The science is correct or it is not. The changes HAVE NOT HAPPENED! The science can not be correct if the predictions did not come true. Saying it might take longer PROVES that the science is wrong and missing pieces of the puzzle have not been taken into the equation. What are the missing pieces? I don't know but they are there or LA would be a coral reef.
Number 6
The "evidence" from the past is sketchy at best. It is a snapshot of the past and is highly inaccurate. It is like taking a picture of a face in a crowd, zoomed in on the individual, and then extrapolating what was happening around them at the time. Best guessing is what it is. You can not use any info from the past as a reliable representation of the real world conditions. Best guess is all that can be gained. That is not science it is theory. Science is fact and science helps theory but theory is not science. A theoretical scientist uses science to prove a theory. Since the science has not enough evidence to prove the theory it remains as such, a theory.
Number 7
The old temps that "scientists" use are best accurate to thousands of years. Not years but thousands! This is the evidence for climate change? The climate of the planet has changed many times in the past thousand years with very hot times and very cold times. But we are to use ice cores that can only be validated to within thousands of years to help predict the next 10 20 or 50?
Number 8
He asks how to explain all the different climates of the past. I as well as any person interested in real science can only theorize to why it happened. No evidence, at least conclusive evidence, exists. Circumstantial for sure but all the pieces of the puzzle are not there because there are NO measurements and all "evidence" is extrapolated from ice core samples which at best are very general. Mother nature has a great way of eliminating evidence.
Number 9
At the 13:45 there is a eco terrorist placard meant to minimize my intelligence. The premise that "all these statements are not evidence" are exactly that. They are all theories and the conclusions of those theories are what I am disagreeing with. Stating that they are "evidence" is at best misleading and as I have said before more like a lie.
Finally Number 10
Pièce de résistance. "Evidence is a fact that is consistent with the theory". Misleading bunk! It can help prove a theory, there is a difference. "The more observations that are consistent the stronger the theory". True but not proof. "A successful prediction is the key to turning a hypothesis into a theory". So the polar ice caps that are still there would mean....an unsuccessful hypothesis? Yep! And then in his pompous voice he talks about no rival hypothesis comes close to explaining blah blah blah. Since when does science have to disprove a theory? Show the proof, make it fit and then I will believe.
The predictions from the past would have LA as a harbour, Inuvik as a wine producing region and Calgary as a desert. Has not happened, the theory is wrong and variables are missing. Until then I remain a skeptic and await real results from all the past predictions. None have come true, but wait.... they will now because we tweaked the science. Yeah....right.
I will never agree with you nor you with me. I will live my life and will just have to put up with the garbage science put forth by the eco terrorists. Terrorist meaning someone who uses fear to further their agenda. The sky is falling the sky is falling or is it the seas are rising the seas are rising. Same s@*t different shovel.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

And the temperature records today are:

The high was in 1993 , 31.6 degrees

And the low was in 1985 , at -1

And today it's 16 degrees

We had a mild winter and we always have lots a sun and atleast a month and a half of hot weather , and BS water restrictions because the provincial government drains all the reservoirs to produce hydro electric power to sell to the US .
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Dudley, there's a difference between climate and weather. 16 degrees today is climate, the 6 days in a row 32 or more degrees that Ashcroft experienced last week is also weather.

Weather: current weather.
Climate: past weather.
Astrology: future weather.

P.S. the provincial government doesn't control BC Hydro operations. Water restrictions have nothing to do with BC Hydro dams either.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Skeptical Science Study Finds 97% Consensus on Human-Caused Global Warming in the Peer-Reviewed Literature

http://www.skepticalscience.com/97-perc ... -2013.html

It's thouroughly studied, peer reviewed and settled. Humans are causing climate change. Now what are we going to do about it?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Air traffic is one industry that is looking at emissions.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Social Concerns”