Alberta workers

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
dilly4rilly

Alberta workers

Post by dilly4rilly »

I would love to hear from any one who is currently residing in the Kelowna area who shifts in and out of work to AB or northern BC. I am considering pursuing a career change to make some of the big money I always hear about, but I also have a family and am worried about the dynamic shifting in and out may create. I am not a tradesperson but i do have a class 3 license and a ton of supervisory experience. I am just looking to gather any info, links etc from the people in the know that are in the industry already.
Much thanks in advance to any who respond
Last edited by dilly4rilly on Mar 9th, 2012, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pattergrub
Fledgling

Re: Alberta workers

Post by pattergrub »

hey there - i have been in the alberta oilfield for almost 15 years now and wouldnt trade it for the world!!! yes it is hard being away from home!! but i am also awarded a life most people dream of!! when i am home i am home 24 hours a day!! i do not have any kids yet lol! but even the guys i work with are able to coach teams and take their kids to school things of that nature, they are able to spend a substantially greater time with family than the typical 9-5 worker. you dont come home stressed because of work, you are care free for your time off. Currently i am now working in australia and my rotation is 28 on 28 off. which means i work six months a year! i do not rely on a meager 2 weeks holidays every year i do what i want when i want and have the money to do so!! i have very little education and make well over 6 figures! i truly love my job, i am outside all the time and every day has its challenges.
satisfaction is the death of desire!!
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Break up is fast approaching, probably 3 weeks left. You can try the job banks, and sites like that, but its a small percentage of the jobs that are out there, and everyone is applying to the same job. I'm currently in Fort St John, and a lot of places have hiring signs outside.

A class 3 is pretty much useless, i would suggest spending the extra money and get your class 1.
thinkingaboutit
Fledgling

Post by thinkingaboutit »

I work for a north americas largest drilling company, I live here in kelowna and generally work 14 or 21 on with 1 week off.
I do have children, and by no means would I want to do anything else. not coming home with work stress everyday, not seeing the kids as much is kinda a trade off, cause when I come home for my time off I can do whatever I want without the stress and the kids tend to show more love becuase they miss me so much.

its also more rewarding making 8-10k (net) a month vs something so small like 3-4k a month, and a good portion of people here in kelowna dont even make that.

give it a shot you wont regret it.

- http://www.precisiondrilling.com/Servic ... vicing.cfm

-http://www.nabors.com/Public/index.asp

-http://www.akita-drilling.com/

here is who I would reccomend, I work for one of them and have friends that work at all of them, all live here in the valley as well.

good luck!!
thinkingaboutit
Fledgling

Post by thinkingaboutit »

Gixxer wrote:Break up is fast approaching, probably 3 weeks left. You can try the job banks, and sites like that, but its a small percentage of the jobs that are out there, and everyone is applying to the same job. I'm currently in Fort St John, and a lot of places have hiring signs outside.

A class 3 is pretty much useless, i would suggest spending the extra money and get your class 1.

Also about this guys post, A class 3 is just fine, If you are going into the oil and gas industry, a class 3 is fine, its all you'll really need. wireline jobs, vac truck driving jobs ect dont require a class one. If anything a class 1 is usless unless your doing rig moves or are transporting fuel. most trucks are tandems or tri axels.

heres a few more links of businesses i would recommend.

http://www.bakerhughes.com/regions/canada

http://www.slb.com/

http://www.voltagewireline.com/web/index.php

http://www.calfrac.com/

well if your planning on the patch, you SHOULD be able to find something in all these links.
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

Im happy to hear it works for some of you. I have known of at least 2 marriages that did not survive the work schedule, its not easy if youre not ready for it. I have never tried it, but was tempted, I decided.my children were too young for me to be away working. I know of another young man who has pretty well paid for his house here in 5- 10 years and is about to get.married and.life.is.looking good for him.
Going today, hear tommorow
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

What are the prospects like for someone 55 with a newly acquired class 3?

TIA
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
GardenMum
Board Meister

Post by GardenMum »

From the perspective of a wife, I think it's been the best thing for our marriage! It's hard don't get me wrong, we have 2 kids and it's been an adjustment. But we have been able to go on more trips, move into a newer house, the kids attend a private school, you just can't say no to the money. He's on a 10/4 shift right now, we all much prefer 14/7 but he's switching back to that in the summer.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Any good ($$$$) chef jobs up there? Camp, hotel, catering?
Chill
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

thinkingaboutit wrote:

Also about this guys post, A class 3 is just fine, If you are going into the oil and gas industry, a class 3 is fine, its all you'll really need. wireline jobs, vac truck driving jobs ect dont require a class one. If anything a class 1 is usless unless your doing rig moves or are transporting fuel. most trucks are tandems or tri axels.

heres a few more links of businesses i would recommend.

http://www.bakerhughes.com/regions/canada

http://www.slb.com/

http://www.voltagewireline.com/web/index.php

http://www.calfrac.com/

well if your planning on the patch, you SHOULD be able to find something in all these links.

Someone sure got defensive on the class 3 being useless.

Like I said I'm in Fort St John, and everyone is looking for class 1 drivers. There are far more jobs opportunity's available.

One of the guys I work with his brother has a class 3, and is finding it hard to find work. I think he took a job driving water truck for 18hr. If he had his class 1 he could've had a job right away starting at 30hr
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

I'm from Kelowna, moved to Ft Mac going on four yrs ago, second best move I've made. Last summer we moved to Red Deer and I commute to Ft Mac. I work week in week out and love it. It's getting mega busy up here, like MEGA BUSY. Lots of places are offering fly in fly out. They do like you to come with skills, some kind of paperwork behind you.

Lemme know if there is anything I can help with, I'll do my best. Pretty busy in the mine today but I'll be popping in and out of the office.
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

You really have to think hard about what you want in life and how you are going to look back at it when you are old.

If you want to exist in a place for weeks on end, where you spend 24 hours working, thinking about work, getting ready for work, or drinking between shifts, then this is probably a good idea. Remember the good old days when you used to do this when your were 17?

And don't let anyone tell you that their marriage and family is better because they are away for weeks at a time. If their rationalization is that you get quality time when you are home, give your head a shake. You've just worked 3 weeks straight and the last thing you want to do is "spend quality time" with your family. If their rationalization is that they can afford a better home, car, vacation, toys, because they are away, then give your head another shake. Your wife and your children will emotionally detach themselves from you because you are never around. Children need a father around, to listen to them and to teach them, not to hear a list of what they did when you were away.

I know several men who worked north for a better life. Every one of them is single now, or well on their way. Their wives and families have left them, either emotionally or physically. Some have even stopped coming "home" because there is nothing left here to call home.

Be a real man, stay with your family, downgrade your desires, and enjoy your life. If you really need the job, take your family with you.

PS, get the class 1.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Fixer 166 wrote:I'm from Kelowna, moved to Ft Mac going on four yrs ago, second best move I've made. Last summer we moved to Red Deer and I commute to Ft Mac. I work week in week out and love it. It's getting mega busy up here, like MEGA BUSY. Lots of places are offering fly in fly out. They do like you to come with skills, some kind of paperwork behind you.

Lemme know if there is anything I can help with, I'll do my best. Pretty busy in the mine today but I'll be popping in and out of the office.

What companies offer fly in fly out?

How hard is it to get on with the big companies like Suncor, and CNRL?
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

dilly4rilly wrote:I would love to hear from any one who is currently residing in the Kelowna area who shifts in and out of work to AB or northern BC. I am considering pursuing a career change to make some of the big money I always here about, but I also have a family and am worried about the dynamic shifting in and out may create. I am not a tradesperson but i do have a class 3 liscense and a ton of supervisory experience. I am just looking to gather any info, links etc from the people in the know that are in the industry already.
Much thanks in advance to any who respond

I'll PM you dude . I have exactly the info you need .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Gixxer wrote:Break up is fast approaching, probably 3 weeks left. You can try the job banks, and sites like that, but its a small percentage of the jobs that are out there, and everyone is applying to the same job. I'm currently in Fort St John, and a lot of places have hiring signs outside.

That couldn't be farther from the truth dude. A 1 is nice but a 3 will get you all the work you need in the patch .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife

Return to “Social Concerns”