Home owners allowing only certain breeds of dogs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Kitten89

Home owners allowing only certain breeds of dogs

Post by Kitten89 »

Can someone tell me why most home owners will allow dogs of any size but will not allow certain breeds in their rentals?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Home owners allowing only certain breeds of dogs

Post by grammafreddy »

Certain breeds such as ... ???

I know, I know ... leading question ... straight to pitbulls and Rotties and their crosses, right?

Might have something to do with lawsuits and such.

Might be something to do with some kinds of people who keep these breeds.

Might be that a lot of landlords in this town don't allow any pets at all (which, if you read Castanet for very long seems to be the case).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

They might simply not like certain breeds of dogs.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Larger breeds of dogs can do more damage to the property. They can tear up the yard as an example. A smaller dog will damage a property on a smaller scale. Not saying that your dog or all dogs do this, I am just giving an example.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Kitten89

Post by Kitten89 »

To be honest I don't know what breeds some are against, but I was told that if a rental allows all pets they cannot turn you down cause you have a certain type of breed. A friend of mine went threw that problem, the rental allowed any pets but the owner turned her down just cause she had a mastiff. "If you have all pets welcome" then your not allowed to turn down any kind of pet no matter what kind nor breed.
Kitten89

Post by Kitten89 »

Libelle wrote:Larger breeds of dogs can do more damage to the property. They can tear up the yard as an example. A smaller dog will damage a property on a smaller scale. Not saying that your dog or all dogs do this, I am just giving an example.

Actually no matter what size the dog is they can all to the same amount of damage. Yes smaller dogs don't have the ability to knock large things over but they can still do as much damage as a large dog.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

ReoKoneko wrote:To be honest I don't know what breeds some are against, but I was told that if a rental allows all pets they cannot turn you down cause you have a certain type of breed. A friend of mine went threw that problem, the rental allowed any pets but the owner turned her down just cause she had a mastiff. "If you have all pets welcome" then your not allowed to turn down any kind of pet no matter what kind nor breed.

They can deny you a rental for any reason as long as it is not a human rights issue.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

ReoKoneko wrote:... if a rental allows all pets they cannot turn you down cause you have a certain type of breed.

I believe you're misinformed. Landlords have every right to refuse whatever breeds they want without explaining their logic.
Kitten89

Post by Kitten89 »

They can deny you a rental for any reason as long as it is not a human rights issue.[/quote]

I think it is WRONG, If the rental say's "all pets welcome" then they should not be able to turn you down no matter what kind of pet you have.
Kitten89

Post by Kitten89 »

Its just like turning down a person cause of their color, sex, height, weight etc... give your heads a shake home owners. No wonder why most rentals are up for months cause everyone is so against a pet.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

ReoKoneko wrote:Its just like turning down a person cause of their color, sex, height, weight etc... give your heads a shake home owners.

It's their right as somebody who owns the place and makes up the rules.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

ReoKoneko wrote:Its just like turning down a person cause of their color, sex, height, weight etc... give your heads a shake home owners. No wonder why most rentals are up for months cause everyone is so against a pet.

Umm, no it is not, not even close. Landlords are against pets as they know what kind of damage that they can cause.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

"Can a landlord prohibit pets?
Landlords may prohibit pets or restrict the size, kind or number of pets."

http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/content/rights ... g.aspx#116

ReoKoneko wrote:Its just like turning down a person cause of their color, sex, height, weight etc... give your heads a shake home owners. No wonder why most rentals are up for months cause everyone is so against a pet.

People choose to have pets.
Kitten89

Post by Kitten89 »

Umm, no it is not, not even close. Landlords are against pets as they know what kind of damage that they can cause.[/quote]

Umm did you know that not every pet is the same. Not all will do damage. Just cause one pet did it doesn't mean the same kind of pet that is new will do the same thing.
What is with everyone thinking that all breeds of pets are alike.
Kitten89

Post by Kitten89 »

Always Sunny wrote:"Can a landlord prohibit pets?
Landlords may prohibit pets or restrict the size, kind or number of pets."

http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/content/rights ... g.aspx#116

People choose to have pets.

Like I was saying before IT IS WRONG, so are they gonna start making laws against people like if the tenant is a bisexual, Chinese, a female that looks like a male and wants to become one, has one leg.
Like give me a break. This world has some of the stupidest laws

Return to “Social Concerns”