Tipping in restaurants

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
underscore
Übergod

Re: Tipping in restaurants

Post by underscore »

Corneliousrooster wrote:I don't think any working demographic gets dumped on more than servers by all the joe schmoes out there that have never done the job yet begrudge them their tips. If the service sucks - DON"T TIP - that is totally your perogative and in your power. Stiffing a server because you think the custom is "stupid" or "everyone should get tips then" is begrudging a demographic that never asked to be paid in tips in lieu of a fair wage in the first place.

Maybe so, but why should I be a jerk for not paying into a custom that I didn't help to create? Not to mention a lot of servers become servers because they can be significantly overpaid due to tips. If someone is just doing their regular job they should not be tipped, if someone actually does something special then they should be tipped, that's the whole bleeping point and the rest of the world seems to get this. If someone does a crap job they get a $0.01 tip from me to prove a point.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

underscore wrote: If someone is just doing their regular job they should not be tipped, if someone actually does something special then they should be tipped, that's the whole bleeping point and the rest of the world seems to get this.

Corneliousrooster wrote:So don't tip like an idiot - novel idea

Corneliousrooster wrote: If the service sucks - DON"T TIP - that is totally your perogative and in your power.

Yeah - I think I got that.

Ever go through the til at Walmart, or superstore, or crappy tire or pretty much ANY retail outlet? How was your experience going through the til? Lots of smiles, and small talk and pride in their job?

That is what "just doing your job" when you are paid min. wage looks like - you want that at your meals out to a nice restaurant? Bon Apetite!

underscore wrote:Maybe so, but why should I be a jerk for not paying into a custom that I didn't help to create?

Oh, do tell - just what customs do you participate in that YOU helped create???? You are patronizing an industry that participates in said custom. "When in Rome....."
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

I think I see the problem. As a server, the job is to kiss your *bleep* and SERVE you like a servant, at your beck and call. Thats where tipping came from in the first place. Wealthy folk would put money on the table to give incentive to be prompt.
In fact, in the early years of the US, it was considered an insult to leave atip because they were people and not servants.
The tips are the single biggest reason anyone is willing to be treated like a servant now.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

WhatThe wrote:I think I see the problem. As a server, the job is to kiss your *bleep* and SERVE you like a servant, at your beck and call. Thats where tipping came from in the first place. Wealthy folk would put money on the table to give incentive to be prompt.
In fact, in the early years of the US, it was considered an insult to leave atip because they were people and not servants.
The tips are the single biggest reason anyone is willing to be treated like a servant now.

Good god,,, if the tip makes a person Want to be a servant then what would they do for free sex? Seriously, if you feel you are a servant working there then go work in the mines and see what that feels like,,, pays better, and you don't have to have tips dragging yer butt there each day. If I had tips dragging my butt to work I woulda not done the interesting things I have done that included No tips what so ever. Thank god a buck didn't make me Want to Be a servant for other people.
This work I woulda done in-between jobs if I needed to, not as a career, especially if it made me Feel like a servant at other peeps beck and call. You talk as if the tip forces you to do this work, how about more money for doing things outside of this servant looking box and not worrying about the tip not left at your table?
This work should be for peeps just starting off in the world of employment and the lack of a tip would show them not every tree they see grows money unless they water it well.
As was said earlier, a tip was left by the wealthy,,, now it's expected from a mom with three kids to feed who decides to treat her kids to something away from the same old kitchen table they eat at every day. She shouldn't go out if she can't consider the tip first in your mind. Seems odd she should decide how much or how well to treat her family based on a rate expected when she wants to do something nice for her kids,,, not a server she doesn't know. It's about her family but this doesn't matter I guess,,, means nothing that she came to your bosses business and supported your wages??? Let's remember she probably isn't wealthy which is supposedly the type who started this "tradition" as it seems to have become today.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

WhatThe wrote:Don't worry, nobody will be fighting to have you in their section, put simply, you cost them money.
they better not hint even a little that they don't want my business. I would probably talk to the manager about it. I also am very edept at using social media and review sites. Put simply, they'll lose much more then my tip. I would also hope that the management would pick up on this type of attitude their servers have and GET rid of these people. I have no sympathy what' so ever for bad attitudes when I'm spending my money at their business. S I u b c
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Hmmm wrote:] they better not hint even a little that they don't want my business. I would probably talk to the manager about it. I also am very edept at using social media and review sites. Put simply, they'll lose much more then my tip. I would also hope that the management would pick up on this type of attitude their servers have and GET rid of these people. I have no sympathy what' so ever for bad attitudes when I'm spending my money at their business. S I u b c

Wow, how very christian of you. you would publicly slam somebodies business because of server attitude. If you did that to my business Id kick your *bleep* out the place and tell you never to come back.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Hmmm wrote:] they better not hint even a little that they don't want my business. I would probably talk to the manager about it. I also am very edept at using social media and review sites. Put simply, they'll lose much more then my tip. I would also hope that the management would pick up on this type of attitude their servers have and GET rid of these people. I have no sympathy what' so ever for bad attitudes when I'm spending my money at their business. S I u b c

WhatThe
Wow, how very christian of you. you would publicly slam somebodies business because of server attitude. If you did that to my business Id kick your *bleep* out the place and tell you never to come back.

What's it got to do with being christian? I have this feeling he woulda left before you could kick his butt and he wouldn't be back. I won't ask but I would love to know what business you claim to own so I wouldn't ever go there. Sounds like you have dollar signs fogging your mind and you care none about how your customer would feel over a bad attitude walking the floors of that place,,, how very christian of you,,, nice,,,
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Roadster wrote: if the tip makes a person Want to be a servant

Not "want" - "tolerate" , there is a big difference.

Roadster wrote:what would they do for free sex?

What kind of question is that? You pay for sex? Good on ya! :ohmygod:

Roadster wrote:, now it's expected from a mom with three kids to feed who decides to treat her kids to something away from the same old kitchen table they eat at every day. She shouldn't go out if she can't consider the tip first in your mind. Seems odd she should decide how much or how well to treat her family based on a rate expected when she wants to do something nice for her kids

She should be aware of how much things cost, with all the hidden costs such as tips and taxes that are part of the "ritual" of going out for a served meal in this country. Maybe she would like to take her kids to an event, should she not have to pay the service fees for the ticket because she didn't factor it in?

I can tell by your posts that you get crappy service on a regular basis - get a clue as to why...... (look within)
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Ya Corny, I get bad service, I am a gluten for punishment,,,

Seriously tho I get great service from a few great places, not many are are that good that I would go back and that's part of the problem others see, where tips don't fit the picture. I tip well just so ya know when service is good. I am actually the generous kind where it's deserved and I get that work of all kinds is hard on the feet, but you say tolerate,,, ok then get a job where the tips are not dragging you out of bed to tolerate and the pay is better and your feet will feel much happier.
Hey I have worked at places where they even brought in peeps to help us with our feet,,, free,,, I have had foot sole thingies molded for me a few times,,, hearing tests, free, great medical coverage, and even a pension, no tips but better care offered me by my company,,, I tolerated lots too as we all do, bosses on peeps shoulders bugging people,,, ya life is hard, get past that,,, no getting around it and I was a servant to someone too... My work served people in some way eventually, why all the whining cos you have to be there,,, you don't, life is about change,,, change your situation and don't let tips be your prison guard, you have many options and if you think you don't you haven't looked past your bosses window much. You must think he owns you or the tips do. if you have to tolerate to the point you need to whine then you are obviously in a work situation you don't like for some reason, maybe many reasons.

That woman would take into account a fee for an event for her kids but let's remember a tip is Not a fee, it's a reward if available and deserved. It's not a given as is being pushed by some. If the boss thinks it's part of your wages he is wrong,,, he should pay you well if you are doing well and you should earn gifts for doing it nicely and making a customer happy. Customers are not necessarily rich as like when tips were "offered" in the old days. Peeps are struggling and always will but it's nice to get out and enjoy an evening,,, make it look that way and if the customer can afford then receive something for it and be really happy but bring a plate with your bad day all over it or an attitude over that customer not tipping by a rate at another time and expect nothing extra this time. Remember it's extra,,, over and above what was laid on the table that is paying your wages already,,, yak in the bosses face if he's ripping you off. Your customer is your reason for getting out of bed, not your tips. Want money for nothing? We got a great welfare system and you can go out in the day time and bum for money too,,, all for nothing, you can even look sad and needy too and still get bucks,,, the person who drops a few bucks in your pot mighta just "stiffed" a nasty server and gave it to you on the street,,, who knows. People are usually quite generous where it's available and deserved or even needed like the poor man standing right outside your work place. Quit going to a work place with expectations above what you signed in for or hate yourself if it doesn't happen.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Roadster wrote:What's it got to do with being christian? ,,,

This guy would cause damage to another persons business and income because a part time 19 yo university student copped some attitude. That to me shows true colours.
Roadster wrote:I won't ask but I would love to know what business you claim to own so I wouldn't ever go there
Why, so everyone that thinks like you guys can publicly trash me? I prefer my anonymity thanks.
Roadster wrote:Sounds like you have dollar signs fogging your mind and you care none about how your customer would feel over a bad attitude walking the floors of that place,,,
I learned long ago that the customer is NOT always right and the loss of this type of customer and the dollars they bring is worth every single penny because it saves me and the staff long term stress, frustration and anger. They just are'nt worth it and I think you'll find many business owners agree

Look around the world and tell that there aren't certain people that one would rather do without
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Yer in the wrong business WhatThe,,, seriously if yer customers aren't worth it you have a problem. They might not always tip to your standards but does a restaurant bring in food to look at it? Bet not. My store saw stuff come in and right out as fast as I could make it go. Customers can be annoying but I treated them all the same, as great people just because they walked through my doors and my workers were expected to do the same, even if they browsed but didn't buy a thing. I had an old lady who would come in and touch everything and never buy a thing, she'd send her grand kids to me tho to get them out of her hair and sometimes pick up something she finally did want. She also had her family camp out in my campgrounds every summer cos she didn't have much room in the house when they all came into town. They bought lots,,, no tips.
If you run a business like you seem to by these posts you are making I can see it flopping really quick like, have fun with that,,, look at your food and watch it rot for all we care, or sell it and get what extras come as they will if you have any sense to make sure the customer is as right as they can be, they support you even if you didn't get their extra pennies. They keep you running if you are trying to encourage them in,,, look wrongly at a few over a tip and you might find right or wrong, word of mouth is more damaging then almost anything else. Just once you kick a customer's butt out of there and you will start to see a difference you don't like, think you feel like a servant now,,, wait till you are cooking it for your own survival till the collectors come a calling. you might be begging peeps to come in. Hey the food industry isn't doing all as good as it could be if times weren't so tough for many, don't fall to the bottom of the list of those who still have open doors just because the customer don't plan to pay your extras before leaving their house. Money makes the world go round I know but it can make us forget what's important too. Peeps come for a good time, not to cater to your needs.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Jeez, how many times do I have to tell you Roadie, I'm no longer in that business, Even if I was, my statements still stand. I never said all customers aren't worth it, just the ones that make our lives miserable by being verbally abusive or guys like Hmm that would attempt to cause harm to an individual business because he's upset at one of the partime staff that in all likelyhood won't be there in six months. He threatened public slander. Nope, don't need customers like that. I protected my staff from those jerks and I won't put up with someone speaking to me like that nor any staff member. Even the garbage dump won't put up with that crap, they got a big sign right there that says so.
And five years and counting with growth every year with my current venture, sorry to disapoint you, I do know how to run a succesful business.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Read my post above, I got it,,, you claim you have a business now and my point being you wanna run it as if yer customers are right,,, they hold the right to leave and trash you by mouth and you could fail for your actions. If yer not into the food industry anymore then good for you, a little less pressure over lacking tips,,, could be a good thing for you.
Meanwhile this tip talk is getting people to notice more what the workers are doing, good or bad and they might better wanna let it die a fast one and work as if they mean to do well and take what's given, hopefully it's a better tip next time but to dwell on one not being there when they come to the table is what's gonna pass along a bad day all around. It's still a gift and if the boss isn't paying one what he/she is worth they should move on and worry less what didn't get paid to them. And let's look at it this way, if a server doesn't get tips very often and they move on they leave room for better workers to come along and suck up all the riches they put out for.
If I had a restaurant and one worker didn't get tips I would be wondering what they are there for... No tip might just mean that, lack of interest,,, rather then what you imply,,, cheap customers who shouldn't come back. In a day I would expect some tips to not happen but if it's actually a problem then look at the situation,,, is the worker not doing well, is the joint dirty? What causes no tips to happen? It could be just a result of life being hard for many especially if it's a single parent trying to stretch a dollar but needing to get out of the kitchen for a night while treating their family to a fun night out. You don't control that, it's their money and if they need to skip on the tip then so beit, they still supported the business by coming in the door.
For anyone to say They shouldn't go out if they can't afford a tip by a desired rate is like saying pay me first then you have a right to go out. Shame on any who feel that way. Life isn't that easy for some and we should understand that. I know many struggling to find ways to show their kids a good time now and then let alone keep up with the rest of their needs. Kids deserve to go out,,, moms and dads deserve to take a night off, not your call.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Customers are not always right. And some of them are just plain arseholes who can't be pleased to matter what you do.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

WhatThe wrote:Jeez, how many times do I have to tell you Roadie, I'm no longer in that business, Even if I was, my statements still stand. I never said all customers aren't worth it, just the ones that make our lives miserable by being verbally abusive or guys like Hmm that would attempt to cause harm to an individual business because he's upset at one of the partime staff that in all likelyhood won't be there in six months. He threatened public slander. Nope, don't need customers like that. I protected my staff from those jerks and I won't put up with someone speaking to me like that nor any staff member. Even the garbage dump won't put up with that crap, they got a big sign right there that says so.
And five years and counting with growth every year with my current venture, sorry to disapoint you, I do know how to run a succesful business.

Yes but Hmmm has a valid point,,, a worker who is ruining the business is a problem and if the boss can't see it, eventually he has more of them and his business should be verbally trashed if he can't run it,,, why should a person say nothing to their friends and family and let them experience the same bad day for their hard earned dollars? Word of mouth is quite damaging and an owner should take care to make customers wanna come back. If he is and a no tip event happens then he keeps knowing he is doing his best. Too many would suggest there is something wrong. Customers are generally generous if they have it to give. Tell them not to come in and you fail. Put this sign on yer door and see what happens,,, "No tip, no entry" ha,,, would love to see it.

True CA but keep that under yer hat and they might tell a friend they actually got something good from you and a new customer shows up just because as wrong as they were at the time they still left not so unhappy,,, you want that if possible. Some customers might just be having a bad day. They are still what keeps your business running no matter how you feel about them. They have brothers and sisters and friends and,,, well you get my point. You just do your best,,,, someone "with it" can make a bad customer a good one by trying, sometimes.
I had a guy come in yelling once,,, didn't like my dog around the store, and then he was petting her. My dog was a Shepard and was to keep an eye on the store and campgrounds,,, she was a good dog and know by all but she looked nasty like a cop dog. She ran on hand signs even tho she had her hearing and once he saw how well she was trained he was ok with it. Ya gotta smooth out the edges or live with it. A good business owner learns how to deal with difficult people and in fact I took many courses in one day events at the collage that taught me lots about how to deal with even angry people,,, look into it it's was about 80 bucks a course and they were hugely beneficial for anyone wanting to do well with their business or become great supervisors in someone elses business, they even taught dealing with worker injuries and safety management in that package and after you get your single certtificates for each course you get a full size one for completing them all as a package if you choose to do em all. A great deal, I enjoyed em all.

Return to “Social Concerns”