Tipping in restaurants

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Tipping in restaurants

Post by Thinktank »

Attachments
waitress.jpg
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tipping_tooting

The Oatmeal, on Tipping (and tooting).
I haven't failed until I quit.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

OK - if you believe the Oatmeal, (even though it unfairly slams Red Robin, which in itself should not be allowed here), he customer is ultimately responsible for any remuneration the wait staff might receive. Hold on.......what about a place to add extended health and dental benefits on each bill?
"Show me your teeth.........OK that's good for another $20!"
Maybe you are on to something....why should the employer have to spend any of their hard-earned greed on wait staff? If they provide a roof over their heads, the customer should pay for the rest.
All of the drivel listed in the dumb cartoon is.....wait.....hold on.....here it is.....their JOB!
What exactly does the pay cheque actually cover? According to this, the employer is paying for the server to do absolutely nothing. Seems a waste.
If I, as the customer, have to pay for all that stuff, then stop double-dipping. Stop collecting a regular cheque for nothing. Save your employer some money.......
It is a restaurant. It ain't a government.
manmade
Fledgling

Post by manmade »

twofingers wrote:OK - if you believe the Oatmeal, (even though it unfairly slams Red Robin, which in itself should not be allowed here), he customer is ultimately responsible for any remuneration the wait staff might receive. Hold on.......what about a place to add extended health and dental benefits on each bill?
"Show me your teeth.........OK that's good for another $20!"
Maybe you are on to something....why should the employer have to spend any of their hard-earned greed on wait staff? If they provide a roof over their heads, the customer should pay for the rest.
All of the drivel listed in the dumb cartoon is.....wait.....hold on.....here it is.....their JOB!
What exactly does the pay cheque actually cover? According to this, the employer is paying for the server to do absolutely nothing. Seems a waste.
If I, as the customer, have to pay for all that stuff, then stop double-dipping. Stop collecting a regular cheque for nothing. Save your employer some money.......
It is a restaurant. It ain't a government.

you should stop eating out, or move to a country where tipping is not customary. Alternatively you can file a motion with your mp/employee association or what you and ask to have service staff wages increased to meet the cost of living.

In places like Australia (where tipping is not customary) I was earning $16/hr waiting tables off wages alone. No tips. In 2003.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

manmade wrote:
you should stop eating out, or move to a country where tipping is not customary. Alternatively you can file a motion with your mp/employee association or what you and ask to have service staff wages increased to meet the cost of living.

In places like Australia (where tipping is not customary) I was earning $16/hr waiting tables off wages alone. No tips. In 2003.
I recently decided to reduce my tips substantially. I always tipped 15%-20% but now I decided on a flat rate. $2.50 for a standard meal (Red Robin type) $5 for a upscale (Sparkling Hills Resort type).

I decided this, after reading and discussing this thread. You, know you're right, I would rather order a dessert for my Spouse and I, then leave that amount saved for a tip. I want dessert and maybe a drink. If you're a server and don't want my $150 bill I spend on food and drinks, please PM where you work. I will never go there again. SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP. Get a new job, ask for a raise, open your own place. There are many options. Oh and sorry for yelling the buttercup thing, but I'm fed up getting fed.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I noticed even Subway now asks for tips.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

10%
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

manmade wrote:you should stop eating out, or move to a country where tipping is not customary. Alternatively you can file a motion with your mp/employee association or what you and ask to have service staff wages increased to meet the cost of living.

Min. wage in Australia is much higher than here though. As is rent.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Hmmm wrote: I recently decided to reduce my tips substantially. I always tipped 15%-20% but now I decided on a flat rate. $2.50 for a standard meal (Red Robin type) $5 for a upscale (Sparkling Hills Resort type).

I decided this, after reading and discussing this thread. You, know you're right, I would rather order a dessert for my Spouse and I, then leave that amount saved for a tip. I want dessert and maybe a drink. If you're a server and don't want my $150 bill I spend on food and drinks, please PM where you work. I will never go there again. SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP. Get a new job, ask for a raise, open your own place. There are many options. Oh and sorry for yelling the buttercup thing, but I'm fed up getting fed.

Don't worry, nobody will be fighting to have you in their section, put simply, you cost them money.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

manmade wrote:

You should quit telling people what to do with their time and money,,, it's not your call. What is your call is to find work that pays better or do the extra for your customer to earn a tip. If yer boss is ripping you off and not paying you what you are worth it's your fault. He is just waiting for people to work for him, he is not forcing you to take his crap. You have choices, here and Australia. Both are free countries, no one makes you serve others food for crappy wages.

And to you What the,,,,
Your customers are why you get any money,,,, the wages part of it, now if you work at a dive or the service sucks then you are working in the wrong place. Move on to where the wages are better and the place earns tips for promptness and cleanliness along with your good work ethics and you won't have your paying customers costing you money as you like to put it. Most of all remember them customers are paying your wages,,, if they short you a tip, you still made money off them. Don't short them a smile and you might make something above the wages they pay to keep yer butt in that place.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

I no longer serve or bartend roadie, I own a business now. No point in trying to lecture me. :sillygrin:
It's just true what they say, one won't understand why until they've done the job and see what people are really like.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

In this country it is customary to tip your server. (Yes, it is a free country and it is not mandatory)

Those who do not grasp this custom or do not comply with it are a very small minority.

This small minority will be the most vocal with regards to crappy service, which they tend to receive at an above average rate.

This minority struggles to put 2 and 2 together.

Servers are generally good at math ..... :skippingsheep:

Most servers are pretty good at reading a table within the first minute of serving them - appropriate service is meted out. Repeat offenders take mere fragments of that minute.

Luckily the laws of averages are in favor of the servers and those who do tip tend to tip enough so that at the end of the night 10 -15% was still tipped to the server. despite those who chose and extra dessert for themselves to spite the server their customary tip.

If you don't like the service - don't patronize the establishment......pretty simple stuff here- no need to begrudge the entire serving industries propped up wages that are COUNTING on you following through with the custom, and instead taking it out on everyone that happens to be employed in that livelihood (life is so simple though, if they want higher wages they should all quit and get jobs on the rigs, and restaurants should all convert to buffets so the public no longer has to contribute to this "tipping" fiasco :ohmygod:
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Corneliousrooster wrote:no need to begrudge the entire serving industries propped up wages that are COUNTING on you following through with the custom

If people would stop feeding this stupid custom then people would stop counting on it.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Corneliousrooster wrote:This minority struggles to put 2 and 2 together.

Yes indeed, I also think they have no idea of the origins of gratuities and what it actually implies when a tip is left.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Does anyone who agrees with tipping also agree that everyone with a low paying job should be tipped? If not, why not?
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “Social Concerns”