Strange pet peeves

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Strange pet peeves

Post by Lady tehMa »

If someone serves me a coloured mug for my coffee/tea/cocoa . . . it irks me somewhat if it clashes with the colours I am wearing. I will always choose something that works with it. It's odd because I'm not all that fashion oriented, not a trend follower or what have you. Colours that don't work together are like that seed stuck in your sock and poking at you . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

I've got a new one as of yesterday: people who cut you off in traffic, usually by pulling out at the last possible second instead of right behind a passing vehicle, and them flip you off after you change lanes to pass them.

Captain Awesome wrote:After reading Castanet classifieds these are my top pet peeves:

- Nobody cares why you're selling your car. Enough with BS stories about how you got a new baby, how your wife is telling your Harley has to go, how you're moving out of the country, and how you have to pay for school. Those are BS stories, everybody knows it, so save yourself some typing and just say you have to sell it. Nobody needs your made-up reason, doesn't really help with selling it.

On the flip side, for buyers, just because you aren't going to use a feature of whatever I'm selling doesn't mean you should pay less for it. It would also be nice if they at least offered half of the asking price. $70 for something listed at $250 is just insulting.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Motoguy
Fledgling

Post by Motoguy »

Fog lights when there is no fog.
Or four blue aftermarket headlights
How many headlights are necessary? Any more than two is illegal but as long as you don’t speed around here you can get away with breaking any other driving law.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

^ Anyone with crappy retrofit HID's should have their headlights smashed out. Sadly that's illegal to do for some silly reason.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Captain Awesome wrote:I absolutely hate it when I can't reach 550 km on my odometer before filling up again.

Sometimes I drive literally on fumes instead of filling up just to get to that magic number I set as a goal for myself, and one day I'm certain I'll get stranded on the side of the highway because of my stubbornness. There's a little Cosmo Kramer in me, probably.

Funny thing, I don't really care about filling up with gas, I don't pay for it. But getting less than a certain number of kms out of gas tank frustrates me.

I too "MUST" make my mileage goal...My car; the magic number is 425km

My rig is 635 miles

If I don't make the numbers on a certain fill I will try to exceed them on the next as to even thing out.

Now that I share a commonality with you, I KNOW I'm weird... :dyinglaughing:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I fill up when I'm down to 1/4 tank, safer for the fuel pump!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

I have sock issues.

I hate it when people have socks on that are pulled to differnt heights on their legs!!!

Also, when people put on socks before pants. So underwear, socks, then pants. Ick. Should be underwear, pants, then socks!

All this being said, just recently I found out that MOST PEOPLE are not aware that there is a right and a left foot when wearing socks. Well, actually, apparently I am the only person who knows this! (really, I thought everyone, like myself, put socks on their left and right feet based on whether it's a left or right sock!)
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

Captain Awesome wrote:After reading Castanet classifieds these are my top pet peeves:

- Nobody cares why you're selling your car. Enough with BS stories about how you got a new baby, how your wife is telling your Harley has to go, how you're moving out of the country, and how you have to pay for school. Those are BS stories, everybody knows it, so save yourself some typing and just say you have to sell it. Nobody needs your made-up reason, doesn't really help with selling it.

- Also, yellow cars. People who drive yellow cars are jerk bags. All of them.

I'm that way with people trying to "rehome" their pets! "We'd really love to keep him, he's like a part of the family, but...."

"Oh, we developed allergies!"
"We just don't have time for poor Rex!"
"He's not getting the attention he deserves!"
"We have a new baby coming!"

And not only do they want a perfect home for the pet they so desperately love but simply can't keep, but they also want you to pay them a grand!!! HUGE PET PEEVE!!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

don't tell Sudsy, he puts on his undies AFTER his pants. Quite the trend setter.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

- People who wear hats
- People who wear hats indoors
- People who wear hats indoors while they're eating dinner

Also, people with bad handwriting.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Tero wrote:
All this being said, just recently I found out that MOST PEOPLE are not aware that there is a right and a left foot when wearing socks. Well, actually, apparently I am the only person who knows this! (really, I thought everyone, like myself, put socks on their left and right feet based on whether it's a left or right sock!)

Apparently only the expensive ones can be left/right oriented.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_there_lef ... r_of_socks
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Just watched Prometheus and won't review the movie but will say a pet peeve of mine is this apparent need to show people smoking cigarettes in sci fi movies on spaceships. I know it's petty and it's just a movie but come on... really???

Are we to believe that while it is currently no longer acceptable to smoke in any workplace in the western world but in the future lighting one up in a enviroment as controlled as a spaceship is just fine. One has to assume that the writers aren't idiots so what's up, do you think the tabacco companies just might have a little to do with this subliminal acceptance of smoking in the future?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

People that insist on using two last names "Jane Turkeynuts Doe"used to be primarily a chick thing now the guys get in on the act" Ryan Nugent Hopkins" etc !
blueberry
Fledgling

Post by blueberry »

Foods touching each other on my plate. Also someone "tasting" the food off my plate.

Don't know why these are issues. But they are.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Ditto Blueberry!
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~

Return to “Social Concerns”