Strange pet peeves

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Strange pet peeves

Post by fvkasm2x »

Hey! Thought it would be interesting to see what pet peeves people have... but I wanted to limit them to things that "make no sense."

NOT common things (people chewing food with their mouth open) or things that are dangerous (bad drivers) or both (bad drivers).

Random things that annoy you, but you can't really explain why and haven't really heard people talk about before.

If possible, I'd like to look at these peeves and try to figure out if these things are a sign of society changing or if we've just become more selfish/intolerant as individuals. Are WE bring unreasonable, or are they?

I'll go first:

1) People who push crosswalk signals 20 times. You know the type.

Why do they do that? Do they think that pushing the button again and again and again will make the light change faster?

2) People who invent parking spots in large lots. Not people who don't park within the lines (common) or people who illegally park on the street (common/unsafe), but people who park on the end of rows in a parking lot. They just add another spot, when the lines clearly show that there is no parking spot there. You couldn't just find a parking spot? Are you that important, you get to make your own spot up whenever you like?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Strange Pet peeves

Post by Captain Awesome »

Seeing a brand new Lexus with an N sign.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

Captain Awesome wrote:Seeing a brand new Lexus with an N sign.
:dyinglaughing:
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Captain Awesome wrote:Seeing a brand new Lexus with an N sign.

I assume this is because new/young drivers don't need an expensive car for their first vehicle?

I'm sure most of us can agree that is true.

Does it make a difference to you if the car is the parents and they are just teaching the child in that car? Maybe they leave the N on it all the time for when the kid takes it out.

Does it matter to you?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Cyclists who pull their young kids in bike trailers at exhaust fume level then complain about smokers.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

grammafreddy wrote:Cyclists who pull their young kids in bike trailers at exhaust fume level then complain about smokers.

You're a smoker and they are hypocrites. Easily explained.

I'm looking for something a bit more poignant or strange.
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

Oh Jeez...

Where does one start?

How about the, "I crapped my pants/full-diaper" jeans style?

You know the one where young men walk around with their pants around their knees and their diaper underwear exposed...
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

fvkasm2x wrote:Does it make a difference to you if the car is the parents and they are just teaching the child in that car? Maybe they leave the N on it all the time for when the kid takes it out.

Does it matter to you?

Of course it doesn't. That's a pet peeve, not logically debated result of an argument and through out research.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Of course it doesn't. That's a pet peeve, not logically debated result of an argument and through out research.

Alright, so why do you think it bothers you?

Giving a 17 year old a brand new car (especially one worth more than $30,000) makes little sense to most of us.

But why is learning to drive on a new vehicle wrong, in your opinion? If you had to guess.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

When someone vacuums the carpet and do not make all the carpet lines going the same direction. Clothes on mannequins that are not ironed or mis matched. People who clean their entry way to their house but do not clean the mat outside the door. I have more just gotta think about them. Oh and blinds that are pulled up but not pulled up to the same level. So they match up in height...if that makes sense.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Libelle wrote:When someone vacuums the carpet and do not make all the carpet lines going the same direction. Clothes on mannequins that are not ironed or mis matched. People who clean their entry way to their house but do not clean the mat outside the door. I have more just gotta think about them. Oh and blinds that are pulled up but not pulled up to the same level. So they match up in height...if that makes sense.

Perfect! Thanks!

My mom had issues with the first one as well. Growing up, I had that as a chore. I'd do it, but if there were no lines like that... she'd say I didn't do it and had to do it all over again!

So the clothes/mannequin thing... I'd suggest you don't like the laziness part of it. If you're trying to sell something, your display should reflect the quality of the clothes. I can easily see a social aspect to this one.

The mat/entry cleaning could just be about common sense. Your clean entry is going to get dirtier if the place preceding the entry is still dirty.

The blinds and lines on the carpet though... have to be odd personality traits similar to OCD or something. lol
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Full blown OCD here...lol. Or when people dust (like that swifter duster commercial) and the just dust around stuff. Great so you have dust free shelves but your nic nacks look like crap.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Towels that are not folded the same size is another. Same with sheets.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

People who walk into a room, turn the lights on, then walk back out... and stay out...!!

Drapes not pulled sufficiently into the middle so there are gaps.
Chill
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Light switches which do not all turn on or off in the same direction. Similar with the orientation of electrical outlets or door keys.

Nab

Return to “Social Concerns”