Strange pet peeves

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Strange pet peeves

Post by kgcayenne »

Negative volume numbers on my amp bug us.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

The gain? Technically that's more accurate than the "volume" numbers.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It just doesn't seem right when -10 makes the windows rattle.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It's because sound is measured in decibels. 0 being the max volume and -10 being 10dB below max, and -20dB would be 1/100th of max volume. If we recall the log scale, -3dB would be 50% of max volume.

Now reverse this, and using positive dB, and it becomes a little harder to manage. 0dB has to be a threshold of something, and 10dB would only be be 10 times larger, 30 would be 1,000 times louder, and 50 dB would be 100,000 times larger. The question becomes, which threshold are you using? Because of the log scale, it's easiest to use max volume as a reference.

Not sure why -10 would rattle windows. Maybe you're using centibels?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It is a high-current amp, does that change anything?
peachlandnotary

Post by peachlandnotary »

I ABHOR it when people plaster the neighbourhood with garage sale signs and then just simply leave them, long after the garage sale has ended.
OH that makes my top ten!
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Glacier wrote:It's because sound is measured in decibels. 0 being the max volume and -10 being 10dB below max, and -20dB would be 1/100th of max volume. If we recall the log scale, -3dB would be 50% of max volume.

Now reverse this, and using positive dB, and it becomes a little harder to manage. 0dB has to be a threshold of something, and 10dB would only be be 10 times larger, 30 would be 1,000 times louder, and 50 dB would be 100,000 times larger. The question becomes, which threshold are you using? Because of the log scale, it's easiest to use max volume as a reference.

Not sure why -10 would rattle windows. Maybe you're using centibels?

:137:
The most iportant thing with audio equipment is the user experience, not the accuracy of the volume knob. Negative numbers for volume is just silly and I daresay Nigel from Spinal Tap would agree.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

strwbrrydvl wrote:I've always found 25 and 75 to be acceptable odd numbered settings, but not 15, not 35, etc..and I have no idea why. Other than those two, I completely agree that they should be even numbers. My significant other purposely puts it to 31 just to see me twitch and adjust it to a 'proper' setting of either 30 or 32.

underscore wrote:My volumes are on intervals of 5's, and the +2's are acceptable as well (ie 0, 2, 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 20). I hate anything that doesn't show a number for volume, I end up counting the dashes or whatever it does display.

kgcayenne wrote:Negative volume numbers on my amp bug us.

Nice to know I'm not the only one with volume related issues.

If I have volume control I also have to go above the volume I want, then back down to an even number.
i.e. If I want it at 20, I turn it past 20 (doesn't matter where) then reduce the volume back down.

I actually had a good friend stay with me recently and she did this exact same thing. I asked if she did it on purpose and she says "oh, I have to!"...that's a specific pet peeve to have in common.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

OREZ wrote:The most iportant thing with audio equipment is the user experience, not the accuracy of the volume knob. Negative numbers for volume is just silly and I daresay Nigel from Spinal Tap would agree.

True enough. Higher end equipment does tend to use negative numbers though because it's more accurate of what is happening. These particular models are probably designed for engineers, and as we all know engineers are pretty anal about accuracy. Max volume means there is no attenuation, while a volume of 10 means you've attenuated the signal by some ratio.

Going in reverse means that a volume of ZERO (or would that be OREZ since we are talking reverse?) has to have some level of sound associated with it since any other level is a ratio of that volume.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

My amp goes to eleven.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Why dont they just graph the volume in the display?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

LOL, now that's a very good question!
- Douglas Murray
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Goof balls that wear hoodies with the hoods up while driving impairing side vision and besides that how do you wear your ball cap backwards with a hood up :skyisfalling:
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Glacier wrote:
OREZ wrote:The most iportant thing with audio equipment is the user experience, not the accuracy of the volume knob. Negative numbers for volume is just silly and I daresay Nigel from Spinal Tap would agree.

True enough. Higher end equipment does tend to use negative numbers though because it's more accurate of what is happening. These particular models are probably designed for engineers, and as we all know engineers are pretty anal about accuracy. Max volume means there is no attenuation, while a volume of 10 means you've attenuated the signal by some ratio.

Going in reverse means that a volume of ZERO (or would that be OREZ since we are talking reverse?) has to have some level of sound associated with it since any other level is a ratio of that volume.

I believe it's partially because it's a standard way of doing things. A volume of "10" is just an arbitrary number, telling you that this specific device is louder than it was at 9 and quieter than it was at 11. But -3dB can be compared to other amps. Considering that most half decent receivers and amps have oodles of features that most people don't use, this seems fitting to me for the few of us who do use every feature available to you. Remember, just because you don't use it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I absolutely hate it when I can't reach 550 km on my odometer before filling up again.

Sometimes I drive literally on fumes instead of filling up just to get to that magic number I set as a goal for myself, and one day I'm certain I'll get stranded on the side of the highway because of my stubbornness. There's a little Cosmo Kramer in me, probably.

Funny thing, I don't really care about filling up with gas, I don't pay for it. But getting less than a certain number of kms out of gas tank frustrates me.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Social Concerns”