No Tip... Sorry

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: No Tip... Sorry

Post by Bsuds »

So maybe just advise the customer that your prices are higher because you pay your employees a decent wage and no tip is required.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I am a single mom...would be hard to spend that kind of money without NOT leaving a tip.
If I can afford to go out, I can afford to tip if warented.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

WhatThe wrote:
However, having been in the service industry for many years I can tell you, you don't tip for "good service", you tip because you made someone put up with you and serve you food. Even if you are nice you tip by proxy for the arshole that came before you. Just like certain laws that place the onus on the many for the actions of a few. People are certainly free to disagree but I'm willing to bet they really haven't done the job... And if you have you're the exception.

You tip because You made someone do what!?!?

Get a different job if that is what you really think, seriously how does a customer make you do anything? You are an adult, you have choices, go shovel cow manure for all your customers care,,, and tip by proxy for the areshole that came before you??? Ha you are so full of the money part of your job you dont even know what yer saying anymore,,, think about it... Why are we supposed to assume the person before us was an *bleep* to you?
Bet you havent done a million dirty jobs your customers have done and they probably get no tip.
Really, quit while yer ahead,, your thinking is not making people care more about you, in fact they are probably wishing you luck in your new work adventures at most. With your thinking it might be hard to find a good job tho,,,, take a minute to think about it. Nobody owes you anything more then you owe them.
That woman's signature is all over the web now,,, the employee should be fired and black balled too,,, she paid some pretty good wages in abouts probably 1 hour and thats that,,, too bad yer not happy about it.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

WhatThe wrote:
As for "putting up with", well, my dignity is not worth minimum wage and there aren't any other jobs out there that "pay" as well as serving. Especially if one is a student or single mom etc.

If you're going to leave used snot rags on the table, empty your purse or pockets of garbage, let your child throw food or draw on the table... For that matter run around... Speak to me like a slave servant then yes, you should be leaving a twoonie to make up for your caveman ENTITLED behaviour.

if your dignity isnt worth minimum wages then go take a course,,, yes there is work that pays more, if you sit at a job where customers treat you like crap by not tossing cash at you and claim there is no better pay then you lack education you could probably gain if you wanted to or you are actually happy with your wages but you want more and you think making the public feel guilty might be a way of getting that... Seriously, I have never worked for min wages sept short time between jobs where needed so I wouldnt have to dwell on the taxes of others, no tips just the wages. Other then that all of the jobs I have done paid well without tips and I have no special training. I took a few bonus courses through collages that helped me gain employment like management courses, safety courses, and a few other courses that impressed employers and I was able to leave those min wage jobs in short time,, no reason to complain to others see,,,
You say you have done this for years,,, your dignity is worth it then and any bonuses you get are what your good work pays you,,, you are obviously making the tips or you'da left long ago according to your dignity statement.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I would have hoped that people would understand that.

I find it extremely offensive that people would presume how much money this woman has to spend.
The idea that if she can afford to go out she can afford a hefty tip is ridiculous.
She obviously was made to feel guilty for not leaving a tip.
She paid the amount owing, that is all that is required.
Server "earn" or "deserve" tips? Wrong. Servers are employed by a business to serve customers.
That is what they are being paid to do. They earn wages for providing this. They deserve to be paid wages for the work they are doing. Period.
Anything extra they receive is at the discretion of the customer. It is a GIFT. Servers should not EXPECT a tip. They should appreciate when they receive one, but they should not force a customer to leave more than what the total for what they purchased.

It is attitudes like that which makes me very selective in tipping.
The service provided should be of a certain standard regardless of who the customer is. The expectation of a tip should not determine who gets good service and who does not. Every customer DESERVES good service and DESERVES to be treated with respect. It is the customer who is providing those servers with a means to earn a living. They would be well advised to remember that.

This is so disrespectful to the people who patronize businesses and choose to spend their discretionary money there.
Eating out is a luxury. Some people can afford it, many people less so. If everyone is expected to add 15%-20% to the bill, there will be far less people who will be going out and far less servers with jobs.

Look at the big picture. Greedy servers complaining about what they see is their percentage of the sale, can easily lose the entire sale. You won't have to worry about your tips if customers don't come back, if you have no customers, you won't have a job at all.

FreeRights wrote:I hope that any future restaurant you go to in the future gives you mediocre service at best, because you're doing nothing to encourage spectacular service.

The other issue I have is the places that require servers to "tip out" at the end of the shift. Fine, they aren't entitled to tips, but they are required to pay some percentage into a pot. In many places, if a server does not get enough tips, they actually lose money through their shift. It may not be your problem, but it's also absolutely not the server's problem either.

If servers do not like the tip out policy where they work, they can take it up with management.
It is my experience that servers who are excellent receive excellent tips. They are not the ones expecting or demanding them.
I encourage spectacular service by being a very loyal customer of establishments which provide excellent service.
I do reward those who go above and beyond.

If a restaurant provides mediocre service, it can be for a number of reasons.
It could be that the staff is inexperienced.
The management is inadequate.
The kitchen staff is not well trained.
The kitchen itself is inadequate.
If servers are intentionally providing mediocre service because they want better tips, they might as well just cut off both their arms. It won't "teach me a lesson" at all. It will only encourage me to take my hard earned wages elsewhere.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

This is Kelowna...Home of the cheapest tippers in the country.

It's how they can afford to drive their expensive cars..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Here is a list of wages in all the American States. Employees who receive tips can be paid as little as $2.33/hr.
They live or die on their tips. You can be darn sure that you will receive good service from those who are trying to make a living as a server. If you have traveled at all in the States, you will know what I am talking about. The level of service there is immeasurably better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._minimum_wages
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:The sad fact is, because severs have to 'tip out' at the end of their shift, anywhere between 1-10%, depending on the restaurant, this cheapo just caused this server extra money.

If the server is losing money off her paycheque because (s)he is being forced to supplement tips, then the server needs to take that up with Employment Standards. Coming onto the c-net forums, whining, and calling your customers "cheap" is *NOT* the way to conduct business and stay afloat.

Tipping, like Christmas gifts, is a custom that has gotten way way way out of hand.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Off topic. Trip.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:
no tip.jpg

This is fake. Look at the pretty script left by the patron then the horrible, looks like a teenage boy wrote it tip line. That is not the same handwriting.

Like I said, suspect.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

WhatThe wrote:

no tip.jpg

CoffeeCanuck wrote:This is fake. Look at the pretty script left by the patron then the horrible, looks like a teenage boy wrote it tip line. That is not the same handwriting.

Like I said, suspect.

It's hard to say. The tip line and the Thank you were definitely written by the same person. If you look at the location of the dot over the letter (i) and the shape of the letter (e), you can see they are the same.
As for the client signature, many people have crafted a signature which does not resemble their printing or cursive writing.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Whatthe

This is fake. Look at the pretty script left by the patron then the horrible, looks like a teenage boy wrote it tip line. That is not the same handwriting.

Like I said, suspect.

Fake or not I wouldnt think someone who wasnt in the business would go to all that trouble to post it. This person was a server who was miffed about what didnt come their way. People have to choose what they'd like to do and if tips arent coming then they didnt choose what they really want to do, or are all that good at. Before knocking the customer a person has to look at whats going on and what can be done to fix it.
This server has had it happen many times to be miffed enough to post something like that, it isnt a one time thing that happened or they'd look away and enjoy all the rest that come thier way. Obviously the server was looking for a way to show the public they arent happy and really its time to move on and try other work.
A lame excuse by the customer,,, so what, that customer mighta had Extra money next time, best you try to make it nice next time too because your worst case scenario would be they send a freind to you who has extra money to toss, word of mouth is big in your line of business. So what if one person had a reason to feed their kids and then put a little aside for her next day, she still came in and put down a good chunk in your boss's establishment and would again if she enjoyed her visit. You get to keep working because the boss cant see a reason to cut back someone,,, the joint is hopping, why would he? ----->Wages paid,,,
Wages,,, thats the bread and butter, tips would be the strawberries and cream on top.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

I saw this picture on an Astral Radio station Facebook in QC this morning.

Which makes me think it might not even be from a Kelowna custome.r
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

French Castanut wrote:I saw this picture on an Astral Radio station Facebook in QC this morning.

what made you think it was from Kelowna?
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

French Castanut wrote:I saw this picture on an Astral Radio station Facebook in QC this morning.

I don't believe there was any mention at all of where the business was located.

Return to “Social Concerns”