No Tip... Sorry

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Re: No Tip... Sorry

Post by French Castanut »

Other people in this thread related to Kelowna as well.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

French Castanut wrote:Other people in this thread related to Kelowna as well.

I havent seen anyone relate it to Kelowna,,, just to the food industry, maybe I missed it.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Roadster wrote:
French Castanut wrote:Other people in this thread related to Kelowna as well.

I havent seen anyone relate it to Kelowna,,, just to the food industry, maybe I missed it.

That's probably what FC read.

MAPearce wrote:This is Kelowna...Home of the cheapest tippers in the country.

It's how they can afford to drive their expensive cars..
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I dont see MAP saying anything about the reciept being from here, altho he might have, I took it as his comment to the comments being made in this thread about the tipping style. You'd have to ask him what he meant.
At any rate I dont think its any different here then anywhere, people will pay nicely for good service anywhere.
I have always heard Doctors and Lawyers will pay less then the middle class for the same service unless its a public fundraiser where they would look bad not doing so. :dyinglaughing:
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Just a note to all of you servers and ex-servers-(and I tip generously when it is earned)........you might also consider that I have to dig even deeper at tax time to cover for the money you stole from us by not reporting it as income. she was well within her rights to tip or not tip for any reason!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Has any one thought that , maybe , this chick got stuck with the bill because everyone else either split on her or had no money ???

If so , at least she had the moxie to pay whats due..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I don't know why she even explained herself. Tipping is not mandatory. She should have just left well enough alone instead of pointing it out like it was a problem. I would say she felt bad but for some reason just couldn't do it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Tip or not , If that were my credit card number ,or recipt, that bitter server wouldn't be a server anymore...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

MAPearce wrote:This is Kelowna...Home of the cheapest tippers in the country.

It's how they can afford to drive their expensive cars..

This is Kelowna....Home of crappy customer service.
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

gardengirl wrote:Here is a list of wages in all the American States. Employees who receive tips can be paid as little as $2.33/hr.
They live or die on their tips. You can be darn sure that you will receive good service from those who are trying to make a living as a server. If you have traveled at all in the States, you will know what I am talking about. The level of service there is immeasurably better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._minimum_wages

Absolutely! Everytime I go a restaurant in the states, the service is outstanding.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

MAPearce wrote:Tip or not , If that were my credit card number ,or recipt, that bitter server wouldn't be a server anymore...

Agreed, there are two sets of numbers and a signature on that reciept even tho the accuont number was scratched off. If it was mine and I saw it on the net I would be looking to see what could be done to this server for posting it. I hope she spots it and causes some trouble for this selfish server.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

the_zipper wrote:This is Kelowna....Home of crappy customer service.

Have you been to some of the bigger cities in AB? Not sure what it is like now, but a few years ago all you needed was two feet and a pulse to work in service. Didn't matter how crappy you were, they needed the bodies.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i dont think it was local at all ... i seen the same pic of the same bill on yahoo ...

i doubt yahoo picked it up off a here
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Phoenix Within wrote:Have you been to some of the bigger cities in AB? Not sure what it is like now, but a few years ago all you needed was two feet and a pulse to work in service. Didn't matter how crappy you were, they needed the bodies.

Could be the problem right there in BC too, maybe they have a hard time finding good workers. I have to agree with what someone earlier said,,, food service in the US and even other countries is ten fold what we get here. Even as a kid I remember people serving food as if it was just a job. One older lady when I was a kid in a hotel during our travels was mad at her boss or someone and she slapped our silverwear on our table when we had to ask for it, my mom was really put out by that and she never got a tip. I remember umpteen times over my years sticking my arm or wrist on some sticky goo on the table... Yuk thats a turn off no matter what age you were when it happens.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

French Castanut wrote:I saw this picture on an Astral Radio station Facebook in QC this morning.

Which makes me think it might not even be from a Kelowna custome.r

Considering it was posted to Reddit (which is linked in almost every news report on this) a day prior to being posted on Castanet, it's probably fair to say it didn't originate here.

Link: http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/1 ... over_tips/

Return to “Social Concerns”