No Tip... Sorry

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

No Tip... Sorry

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

This is rather interesting.

no tip.jpg

Here are my thoughts. She didn't tip because she's a single mom, it was because she is cheap. When she states on the bill where the tip amount is, "single mum, sorry", she is alluding to the fact that she is struggling financially. And yet she pays for a restaurant bill that is $138.35. That $138.35 would have paid for a decent amount of groceries to feed her kids for a week. Ironically, this cheapo single mom in all likelihood just stiffed a fellow single parent. The sad fact is, because severs have to 'tip out' at the end of their shift, anywhere between 1-10%, depending on the restaurant, this cheapo just caused this server extra money.

I realize tipping has been extensively debated, but when I saw this receipt, and saw the excuse as to why a tip was not left, I just had to share. Guaranteed this customer will be remembered by the restaurant staff. Hopefully she has enough sense not to return.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: No Tip...Sorry

Post by LANDM »

And, if my visa receipt with signature was put on a public Internet forum, I would be *bleep* enough to ensure that the right of that business to accept visa was terminated. Regardless of the reason.

And I happen to agree that the single mom excuse for a $138 bill is pathetic.
You and 71 others Like this post
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LANDM wrote:And, if my visa receipt with signature was put on a public Internet forum, I would be *bleep* enough to ensure that the right of that business to accept visa was terminated. Regardless of the reason.

And I happen to agree that the single mom excuse for a $138 bill is pathetic.

Unless you recognize the persons signature it certainly is not readable so if the person complained then everyone would know who it was.
Better to keep her mouth shut than to let us all know how cheap she is.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

LANDM wrote:And, if my visa receipt with signature was put on a public Internet forum, I would be *bleep* enough to ensure that the right of that business to accept visa was terminated. Regardless of the reason.

I would agree with you, however in this case, it's impossible to know just who this single mom is. Her signature is illegible, her visa number is not shown, and the restaurant is not shown.

Obviously it was a restaurant employee who snapped the pic of this bill. Like I said, she will be remembered, and for her dining pleasure, she would be wise not to return.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I would say that the restaurant employee is an *bleep*.

#1 You are not ENTITLED to a tip.
#2 You have no idea the circumstances this person is in. It could be that this was a special event and she saved for it.
She could have done without other things to come up with her $140 budget for a special family outing.
#3 Posting the bill is most likely illegal since it displays her signature. That signature is a part of the contract between the
customer, the restaurant, and the credit card company.
#4 By making the note on the bill, it is obvious that the customer was made to feel OBLIGATED to tip. She was made to feel guilty that she did not. A customer does not have to apologize for not leaving a tip.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

I'll keep on commenting.. but 15% tip on 138$ bill is only 20$. The "sorry single mom" is a lame excuse to write on the bill. Huge bill by the way.

When it's time for her to file her taxes.. does she writes our beloved gvt: Sorry, I'm not paying, cuz I'm a single mom.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Like it or not, agree with tipping or not, tipping is the norm, and is expected in sit down restaurants in N. America. I completely understand that there are all kinds of struggling people. I also understand that most everyone needs a 'treat night' out every now and again. Maybe she did scrape up enough money for a special night out at a pricey restaurant. By the amount of the bill however, she wasn't paying for just one meal. Maybe she took her kids out for a special treat, who knows. No matter, she should have figured in the tip, even if it was just 10%, and ordered accordingly. Cheap, cheap, cheap. If you can't afford to leave a measly 10% (and I understand many can't), then go eat at a place where you are not waited upon at your table.
Luvin Da Blues

Post by Luvin Da Blues »

*try again, this time without the word censor workaround/personal attack/Jo*
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Deleted
Last edited by CoffeeCanuck on Nov 1st, 2012, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'm thinking he means the person who originally posted a copy of the bill on-line and not you.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: No Tip... Sorry

Post by JLives »

Whomever posted that is a self entitled jerk. A tip is a gift. Don't expect it but be thankful when it is received.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Maybe this person isn't a single mom at all, and is just using that excuse to save face. The writing in the "single mom" part, and the message at the bottom of the bill, also looks quite different.

This customer is a nameless, faceless person, and the bill as presented may not even be authentic. I'm not sure who to be mad at here or if I should even bother.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

we need another tip/no tip thread started to keep the other 20 company. Wait......
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I agree with Jenny. A tip is a gift. For above average service. For just average service, they get wages. If they don't like their wages, they have choices to deal with that.

To expect the customer to make up the shortfall of the wages is ridiculous. Just because something is "the norm" doesn't make it right. By tipping (augmenting wages) we are all saying we agree that these people should be paid inferior wages - not even as much as other minimum wages employees here in BC. Even the kitchen dishwasher makes minimum wages and yet the server is expected to share their tips with them in some establishments when they are paid less than minimum???

I absolutely refuse to be held hostage by an industry that stiffs their employees like that. And as long as people continue to tip in restaurants and bars, the government and the employers will continue to treat the servers like dirt beneath their feet.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

We simply don't have enough information here to make judgements. As a previous server I find it all suspect, all of it

Return to “Social Concerns”