A Change this Christmas?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Charlie85

A Change this Christmas?

Post by Charlie85 »

I wanted to create a thread for our community to discuss any ideas surrounding some sort of changes we could possibly make surrounding christmas time? i am just curious for everyone's thoughts on this. It always seems to be a huge stressful time for most people, pressure to buy gifts and then donate to allow the less fortunate people to buy gifts for their kids and then it just doesnt seem to fix the problem long term...maybe what we need is a change. Please post your thoughts!! thank you!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: A Change this Christmas?

Post by Captain Awesome »

Well, if it's stressful for you may be you should change it somehow. But in general, Christmas time is a welcome holiday ... and rather enjoyable. What would you change?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I'd vote myself 2 weeks off with pay.

But since that isn't gonna happen I'll be baking and singing Christmas Carols, decorating a coniferous tree, and the other assorted usual festivities.

:sunshine:
I haven't failed until I quit.
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

My only stress is when I'm doing my normal personal shopping and I'm harassed on the road by crazed present-buying lunatics.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Only stess I have is watching the Boss deplete my hard earned loot in the name of "Santa Claus"...sigh...

Oh well , Christmas morning was a welcome surprise for all , so it's worth it ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I cut the stress out of my Christmas many years ago. Now I do my gift shopping from a greatly reduced list year 'round and spread it out over all the months. I make a list of who I am buying for and assign a month to buy their gift. (one gift each) I don't buy gifts in December and I use that month's budgeted amount for picking up grocery items, maybe a bottle of wine to go with the turkey dinner, the tree and any last minute items and surprises as well as after-Christmas sales. Shopping like this means I can watch for sales and I hardly ever have to pay full price for anything.

I don't buy myself a Christmas present but I know people who do.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Last year I stressed about what to buy my Dad. This year hes gone. I am sure he valued those once a week phone calls far more than the book he never finished reading.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Y'know, for seniors, the gift of your time is the most valuable thing you can give them. Time to help them with things they can't do any more, time to just sit and visit over coffee or lunch, time to take them for a drive to see the autumn leaves, just time spent with you.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Captain Awesome wrote:Well, if it's stressful for you may be you should change it somehow. But in general, Christmas time is a welcome holiday ... and rather enjoyable. What would you change?

:200: The Captain and Christmas? What happened? Let's see, "I hate everything Christmas, the ribbons, and bows, and cakes and tinsel and ... " Wish I knew where to find that but I remember it like yesterday.

You ok? Running a temperature?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

The Captain's heart grew three sizes that day!

My Grandma passed away this year, the first death of someone close on that side of the family in my lifetime. Two years ago, all four kids (my Mom, aunt, and uncles) made a point of coming together for Christmas because we feared it would be her last. She managed one more.

I don't think I'll change anything I do for the holidays this year, but the way I feel will change. Just grateful for everyone around me. You really never know if this Christmas will be the last for someone close to you.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

That is so true.Mother in law is 91, The last of our parents . She doesnt want any gifts ,but having given up her drivers liscence ,a phone call asking her if she needs to go anywhere once in a while is gold to her.
Charlie85

Post by Charlie85 »

motorhomebabe wrote:Last year I stressed about what to buy my Dad. This year hes gone. I am sure he valued those once a week phone calls far more than the book he never finished reading.

that is sort of where i was going with all of this...i am sorry for your loss :(
Charlie85

Post by Charlie85 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Well, if it's stressful for you may be you should change it somehow. But in general, Christmas time is a welcome holiday ... and rather enjoyable. What would you change?

I totally have changed the way i shop as well in the past to lessen the stress around christmas time, buying things throughout the year etc. and it has been really good in that way! it was way less stressful. I was just curious as to if there was anyone out there who asked themselves "why do we do this?" isnt it more important to give someone your time, to give them gifts on a normal day just because? hmmm...i like all of the thoughts from this post. thank you for your input :)
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

motorhomebabe wrote:That is so true.Mother in law is 91, The last of our parents . She doesnt want any gifts ,but having given up her drivers liscence ,a phone call asking her if she needs to go anywhere once in a while is gold to her.

My grandma too. Last Christmas I bought her some Murchies tea varieties that she hadn't tried before, which meant each visit to her in January and February involved drinking new and exciting teas!
I love a gift that can be enjoyed my many, won't take up space (to hell with waffle makers!) long term, and isn't a huge drain on the wallet.

Edit - terrible sentence structure. Needed to be fixed!
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

We should get back to the old fashioned 12 days of Christmas reality and not have stress inducing Christmas commercials on TV starting the day after Halloween...

Especially not those absolute BS Christmas car commercials.

What type of vehicle would the baby Jesus have wanted under his Christmas tree or hung in his stocking??

The holiday now is a crass corporate perversion but it certainly doesn't have to be...
Infinite rider on the big dogma...

Return to “Social Concerns”