Parents irate as school puts boy in “padded cell”

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Parents irate as school puts boy in “padded cell”

Post by oneh2obabe »

Karissa Donkin
Staff Reporter

A Barrie mother says log books from her son’s school show he was disciplined by being sent to an empty, four-by-four foot room with grey padded walls and flooring three times without her knowledge or permission — something that would violate school board policy.
http://scdsb.on.ca/Board/Procedures%20D ... rategy.pdf

Hayley McBride’s 4-year-old son, Casper, showed her the room — officially called a “calming room” — on Tuesday at Portage View Public School in Barrie, where he attends junior kindergarten.

Casper took her to an unmarked door in a corner of the school during an impromptu tour. Inside was a small padded room about the size of a custodial closet, with yellow stains on the padding. She said it was completely silent inside, with only two balls — a red one and an orange one — as toys.

“They throw me in here,” Casper told his mother.

The only window is on the door and Casper isn’t tall enough to see out of it.

“I was absolutely appalled. I felt like we were in some sociology experiment,” McBride said.

Neither Peter Gumbrell, Simcoe County District School Board principal of special education, nor Portage View principal Peter McKenna would comment on why Casper may have been sent to the room without his mother’s knowledge or permission, citing privacy issues.

Gumbrell said calming rooms are part of a well-accepted and successful strategy to help students de-escalate themselves before they pose a risk to themselves and others, and they can be found in about half of the board’s schools.

“(The calming room is) not something we hide. It’s not a big secret,” McKenna said.

“I’m sure not every parent would maybe necessarily know that it exists. But the parents whose children would be accessing it would definitely know through the safety plan and through the (individual education plan).”

But McBride said that didn’t happen in her family’s case.

She obtained logs showing details of Casper’s three trips to the room at a Thursday evening meeting with school board officials and school faculty. She said they show Casper visited the room on Sept. 18, Oct. 2 and Oct. 11 and on two of those occasions, the logs don’t indicate how long he was in the room.

According to school board policy, calming rooms are voluntary and not supposed to “be used as a disciplinary measure or as punishment for inappropriate behaviour.” And parents are supposed to “be informed and agree to the use of the calming room for the student,” through a student’s individual education plan.

McBride said she finalized an individual education plan for Casper, who can be more active than other students but has never been diagnosed with a behavioural disorder, with school officials on Oct. 15. The logs show he had already been to the room three times by then, she said.

When coming up with the education plan, McBride heard about a calming room, but says she was told it was a room with bikes and toys for students – a much different room than the one she found Tuesday.

“I never agreed to a padded cell.”

Are there calming rooms at your child’s school?

The Toronto District School Board uses “calming spaces” in classrooms or adjacent rooms and they’re usually outfitted with comfortable furniture. “Students would choose to go into a calming space, however an adult may verbally suggest it or use a visual prompt,” TDSB spokesman Ryan Bird wrote in an email.

In Peel District School Board, rooms called “alternate learning environments” are available for students who need to regroup away from the classroom, but not every school has one. They aren’t padded, though some have gym mats, puzzle floors or beanbag chairs. Use of a room is usually written into a child’s individual education plan that’s agreed upon with parents. “I would assume that parents knew that their children were accessing an alternate learning environment,” said Therese Fitzpatrick, co-ordinating principal of special programs for Peel District School Board.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article ... added-cell
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Parents irate as school puts boy in “padded cell”

Post by kibbs »

another example of over complicated work practices designed by over paid management in a top heavy organization(fantasy) executed by low waged poorly trained workers(reality) colliding. its happening all over the place the fantasy and the reality are colliding.
Peace be with you.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

I like rubber rooms. There have been times in my life I could have used one... But... a 4 year old (special needs or not) does not need one. If teacher is having a problem dealing with the realities of the classroom, they should go to the rubber room. This is like putting kids on Ritalin. I say, put the teachers on Ritalin if they can't handle the job.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Why is a 4 year old at school? (I'm guessing pre-school?)

A padded room for calming down is most certainly something thought up in a boardroom somewhere and then implemented without true comprehension of the mess it will become.

I can also see where it could be a benefit to some kids special needs or not for a place to have peace and quiet and just wind down. Kids, much like adults get stressed and sometimes are just "having a crappy day". Having a place to decompress for a while could most certainly be helpful.

However being told my child was sent to a "relaxation room" and finding out he was put in what looks like a "psych ward cell" would likely be shocking.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Portage View Public School is an elementary school starting at Kindergarten. I believe a child that turns 5 by Christmas can attend.

I've never seen a "padded" room in any school though there were small "nursing" rooms with a bed for sick kids. I would have put the child in the library with a book as a library already has a calming influence.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Calming rooms will not be used as a disciplinary measure or as punishment for inappropriate behaviour

http://scdsb.on.ca/Board/Procedures%20D ... rategy.pdf
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Off topic/Deleted/Trip
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This is about school policy and inappropriate measures.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Deleted/Trip
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

in every single school I've worked in... yes. They're not "padded cells." They're a place for kids to calm down, be alone if they choose, stim to their heart's content, zone out, regain composure, sometimes sleep, stare into space, play with sensory toys, listen to music... the list goes on and on.

They're not locked in. It's not punishment. Here comes another thread full of opinions from people who don't have any of the facts, let alone the right ones.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I would think the mother in question is the one with the facts - padded "cell" and that her child was "disciplined". That isn't opinions by posters but what was in the news.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

Fancy wrote:I would think the mother in question is the one with the facts - padded "cell" and that her child was "disciplined". That isn't opinions by posters but what was in the news.

yes, and the media is a very reliable source.... :127:
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

Fancy wrote:I would think the mother in question is the one with the facts - padded "cell" and that her child was "disciplined". That isn't opinions by posters but what was in the news.

yes, and the media is a very reliable source.... :127:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The media quoted the mother - it wasn't the media's take on it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

These "calming rooms" weren't around when I went to school, nor when my kids were in school. Are they situated by the principal's office? Who looks after the students? What happens when there is more than one child in need of "calming".
Something wrong with this picture:

Casper took her to an unmarked door in a corner of the school during an impromptu tour. Inside was a small padded room about the size of a custodial closet, with yellow stains on the padding. She said it was completely silent inside, with only two balls — a red one and an orange one — as toys.

“They throw me in here,” Casper told his mother.

Return to “Social Concerns”